Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3w ignition module wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3w ignition module wiring

I have a new 3W-75 motor and the instructions that I got with the engine make no mention on how to wire this module. It has a lot more wires than the CH ignition that I am used to. Can anyone enlighten me? It also came with a loose LED in the package that I again have no clue what it does. Thanks!!
Old 09-19-2005, 09:24 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Default RE: 3w ignition module wiring

Does the ignition say 8.4v on the ig box? If so you can run a lithium 2 cell un-regulated, and will damage the ignition if you regulate it, so its good up to 8.4v. If it says 6.0v you need to regulate it to that. Also when mounting the ignition, make sure you have a gap of 1/8" under the bottom of the box so air can go under it to cool it. This is the number one reason why 3w ignitions go out, no gap, they get hot and burn up. You probably know most of that, but just checking. Here are the wire settings:

Blue wire- goes to sensor on crank
Red/Black (larger diameter)- battery
Red/Black (small diameter) LED
Yellow/white- hookup for the 3w tachometer.

PS, the red led is for status of the ignition. When you first turn it on the light will illuminate red. When you flip the prop once, the light will go out indicating the ignition is hot. On those ignitions the first flip does not fire as a safety measure. Also, after turning on the switch if you do not flip the prop withhin 20 seconds, this disarms the ignition and the on/off switch must be recyled. If the engine will not fire, good idea to cycle the ig switch.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: 3w ignition module wiring

Perfect! Thanks for the info. I have the box mounted with the grommets and air gap. It is the 8.4v as it says do not use a regulator with a 2 cell lithium, but it says you can use a 5 cell - 6V pack too, so I guess 6V is ok with it, just don't run a regulator. I am just going to run the 2 cell lithium. Thanks again for the info.