Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

frustrated with attaching a prop spinner to 3w 60

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

frustrated with attaching a prop spinner to 3w 60

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 03:54 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frustrated with attaching a prop spinner to 3w 60

ok got my giant stinger done.well almost I bought a dave brown alumumin parabolic spinner 4"..the socket head bolt is way too short.try finging any socket bolt that reaches the prop hub to secure the spinner.I thought about re tapping the darn hub to sae..what in heck does everyone do .I am so frustrated trying to do something as simple as attach a spinner!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 05:25 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: frustrated with attaching a prop spinner to 3w 60

I use a Tru-Turn 4" that's made for the 3W engine. The backplate comes pre drilled, and the spinner bolt is the proper length. No fuss -no muss.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:21 PM
ShawnM
My Feedback: (6)

Measure the length you need and give Don's Hobby Shop a call. That's what I did.
Next time though I'll just pay extra and order a Tru-Turn. My bolt was like two inches too short and I had to recut the slots for the prop.
You can also get the Tru-Turn from Don's cut for the specific prop you're gonna be using....nice
Old 09-21-2005, 06:25 PM
cloudancer03

considering the grief and aggravation this simple task has caused I will get a tru turn..I had to carefully drill all the holes on the backplate.what a pain! thanks for the avice.unfortnuately it wont help me this weekend..live and learn ..building a giantscale has been an experience but perhaps like anything else once you go thru it the second time is easier..
Old 09-22-2005, 03:06 PM
korky

Dave Brown sells an extenion adaptor just for 3W and Desert Aircraft engines for their Spinners. They are reasonbly priced and can be delivered in a couple of days. Go to their web site for details.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

All you gotta do is run a 10-32 tap in the hole in the prop stud and get a longer Allen bolt from the hardware store....If the hole seems too small drill it with a #21 drill first...
Old 09-22-2005, 05:30 PM
cloudancer03

so where does anyone find a socket head bolt long enough to reach the prop hub on the 3w..I tried dave brown but hard to contact..
Old 09-22-2005, 08:32 PM
ShawnM

I looked everywhere I could think of here in Shreveport and Bossier, LA. Even a nut/bolt supplier in Shereveport didn't have one long enough so I had to order one from Don's for about 4 bucks. I was about ready to throw mine in the trash, when I found out you can get TTurn bolts from him.

It shouldn't take too much common sence for DB's company to know that a 2" bolt on a 5" spinner isn't gonna do diddley squat. It shouldn't be too hard to include the proper length bolt and/or the adaptor korky is talking about.

From now on I'll just get a Tru-Turn from Don or a Pete Models CF spinner from TBM depending on if I need nose weight or not. They may cost more, but they are much higher quality spinners that come with the right parts, but that's just my personal opinion.

edit: Oh yea Cloudancer, I forgot to mention that my motor was a 3W also. (3W-75). The threads on mine were a 10-32 and if I remember right the bolt I needed was over 4 inches long. Maby this helps a little
Old 09-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Antique

Threads are 5mm, .006 larger than a 10-32...No problem, you use the longest 10-32 that will not bottom out in the stud.....
Old 09-22-2005, 10:12 PM
ShawnM

Thanks for the info RCIGN1. I sure thought it was a 10-32, thanks for setting me straight. I should've known better since my motor was made in Germany huh.

Maby they sent me a metric bolt?? I use plenty of blue Loc-tite and it uses up at least an inch or more of the threads so I guess it's o.k. either way.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:25 AM
Antique

They're so close it's hard to tell the difference visually..The best metric Allen bolts will have the number 12.9 on the head, the metric equivalent of our grade 8...A 10-32 Allen will measure about .190 with a Harbor Freight dial caliper, a 5 mm measures about .196
Old 09-23-2005, 04:27 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

Very simple solution. Get a regular 3" length 10/32 Phillips machine screw (Ace hardware) . Use the Dremel to cut it to length, chuck it up in your drill and sand off the head sides until the head fits inside the spinner tip. Works like a charm.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:13 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

Yep, that's what I did one time. Worked like a charm.