Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Electric starter for 50cc engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 08:13 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electric starter for 50cc engine ?

Hi, is there anyone using an electric starter for their 50cc gasser ? Which starter would you recommend ? Thanks for the inputs...
Old 09-23-2005, 08:15 AM
raston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric starter for 50cc engine ?

subscribe... same question.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With modern day 50 cc engines with electronic ignitions, if you need an external electric starter then you need to get your engine fixed.

IMHO

Ken
Old 09-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Pushrod02
My Feedback: (16)

It’s a bit over kill for a 50 cc but this belt reduction drive unit will start anything but a small block Chevy. Who knows, you may get into larger engines...Some folks don’t like starters but hey, I can still count to 10 without taking my shoes off [sm=biggrin.gif]. It's a belt-reduction unit (4:1 ratio) and fits most 12-24V starters.

The Persuader

Miller R/C Products
PO Box 425
Kenwood, CA 95452

Phone: (707) 833-5905
Fax: (707) 833-0059
Old 09-23-2005, 10:50 AM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird

With modern day 50 cc engines with electronic ignitions, if you need an external electric starter then you need to get your engine fixed.

IMHO

Ken

Agreed. It is much easier to start a gas engine with electronic ignition than a much smaller glow engine. Just make sure you're following the recommended starting procedures for your engine....and make sure when you turn the ignition on and try to start the engine, it is never more than slightly off idle. I don't know anyone at the two fields I go to that uses an electic starter on a gas motor with electronic ignition.....

....but if you're set on getting a starter, I believe one of the most powerful options is a conversion called the "Persuader" for Sullivan starters made by Miller R/C. You can contact them at 707-833-5905. They evidentally don't have a Web site.

***oops, I guess Pushrod02 beat me by a few minutes.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:08 AM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread. I have a brand new Miller belt reduction drive, mounted on a used Dynatron. I have the receipt, showing that I just payed $133.00 for the reduction drive, shipped to me. I am asking $150.00 for the complete set-up, shipped to lower 49 and Canada.
DKjens
Old 09-23-2005, 01:46 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

I use the Miller/Dynatron combination on my DA 100. The guys at my field say that their DA's rarely whack them. Rarely is too often for me as I use my fingers to fly. I run it on 24 volts and it turns over the DA 100 easily. For a DA 50 you may get by with the Miller system on 12 volts. Call them and ask...they are very friendly.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:36 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

Amen Brother, Amen!!---Show me a SERIOUS argument for NOT using an electric starter---"Bragging Rights" maybe?---("Mine will start on the 2nd flip" / "Well MINE will start on the 1st flip")---Oh ya, & it looks more Macho---
Old 09-23-2005, 04:18 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird

IMHO

Ken
Absolutely. Should start with two of three soft flicks. Unlike magneto engines which need a solid whack to create a spark, an electronic engine (set correctly) actually is much easier to start with a solid smooth push through TDC.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Big_Bird

Out of many hundreds of flights that I saw last week at Bomber Field, about the only pilots that I saw using electric starters were the ones that used glow engines (B-17 bombers etc.). I would guess that 95% or more of the gasoline engines were started by hand. A few used spring starters. These were not being started by bragging or macho pilots.

Why carry a battery and starter to the flight line if you don't need it. If you are worried about getting whacked, then use a welders glove. No battery required.

Ken
Old 09-23-2005, 04:43 PM
bpryor

ORIGINAL: tande

Amen Brother, Amen!!---Show me a SERIOUS argument for NOT using an electric starter---"Bragging Rights" maybe?---("Mine will start on the 2nd flip" / "Well MINE will start on the 1st flip")---Oh ya, & it looks more Macho---

There is absolutely no reason to use an electric starter with a electronic ignition gas engine except if you don't understand the facts. The vast majority of people don't use electric starters with gas engines, and I guarantee you it's not because they are stupid, or macho, it's because they understand the difference between these motors and glow motors. I use a chicken stick with my Saito 100, because I'm likely to get bitten by it, but that simply is not the case with the EI gas engine.

If you're really worried, then do what Ken suggested and use a glove, but believe me, that just isn't necessary.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:37 PM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

I prefer to hand flip my 40cc ZDZ, but that's your choice. The Miller/Dynatron combo sounds like a good deal for the price. Now a few of the guys at my club field being using a direct drive Dynatron ($62.99 @ Tower) driven by two 12Volt Lawn Tractor batteries ($19.00 each at WallyWorld) hooked up in series (24Vdc). It reliably starts DA 50's, and ZDZ 50's with no problem. If you want to spend more money the Sullivan Megatron ($159.99 @ Tower) will do it with only a single 12Volt battery.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:50 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I use the miller unit on a standard Sullivan starter with 24 volts to start my G45 with electronic ignition. I usually have to crank it about 10 times with the choke on if its cold until I get it to pop. Its just easier with the starter.
I also have a RCS44B2 that can get nasty at times. The starter saves my fingers.
I start my ZDZ 80 by hand since my starter will not turn it over. The batteries are 5 years old - I need new ones.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:15 AM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

I use a 400in-oz, 19.2volt Craftman's cordless drill with the large cone drive from Tower Hobby. It starts my G62 with no problem, and gets a lot of use around home.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:56 AM
bpryor

ORIGINAL: chuck l

I use a 400in-oz, 19.2volt Craftman's cordless drill with the large cone drive from Tower Hobby. It starts my G62 with no problem, and gets a lot of use around home.
That's really clever chuck l. That's also a good testimonial for that drill. That's the first time I've seen someone post that solution. It sounds like a great one....if you have the need to use an electric starter.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Big_Bird

Once upon a time in a land far far away I won a door prize that was an ACE pull cord starter. It was about as useless as t*** on a boar hog. One day when my mind was in idle I spotted this device in my corner trash can. HARK, I might be able to make an electric starter out of this device since I already had a well broken in Craftsman drill motor. In about 30 minutes I had what you see in the photo. It has boo coo torque for starting a G62 but since my G62 has a "Jump Start" I have nothing to use it on. If I would keep my mind busy (computer, TV, yard work naaah......) I wouldn't have time for this foolishness.

This is also the case for another starter that I built from a Nippondenso geared V6 starter. At the time I had a Sachs-Dolmar 3.7 engine with a magneto. The finger guard really sets it off. This will easily spin a DA-150 but why?

I still stick with post # 3.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33429.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	328932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90745.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	328933  
Old 09-25-2005, 02:54 PM
AirTech

Hey Chick, How much you pay for the Craftman drill?
Old 09-25-2005, 04:07 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

AirTech,

The first link is the one I bought two years ago for about $130. The second one looks like it would work also. They are the same as Big Bird's picture, the one without the Campbell's soup can.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...00&tab=spe#tab
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...00&tab=des#tab

These are the two parts drive cone parts I purchased from Tower. I drilled out the hole in the metal drive cone and put a bolt through, and locked it in place with a nut. You'll have to grind a flat on the bolt threads in order to get keep if from spinning in the keyless chuck. I have one engine that only has a nut holding the prop on. I sawed off a 3/8' socket extension, ground a flat on it, and use a socket for turning the engine over.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXL404
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXL403

I hope this helps,
Chuck
Old 09-25-2005, 05:45 PM
AirTech

Thank you Chuck,
It looks like a great deal, and I could use the drill arround my shop too.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Why would anyone want to lug around an electric starter if they didnt have to? One of the biggest advantages of going to gas is that you dont have to carry all that support equipment with you..[:-]

If your afraid of getting hit with the prop then just use a chicken stick..[8D]
Old 09-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Big_Bird

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

Why would anyone want to lug around an electric starter if they didnt have to? One of the biggest advantages of going to gas is that you dont have to carry all that support equipment with you..[:-]

If your afraid of getting hit with the prop then just use a chicken stick..[8D]
I agree. I've been flying gassers since 1982 (Quadra 35 back then) and I can't remember getting hit by one while hand propping it. However, I can remember on more than on occasion holding my hand or slinging it because I just got popped by an alky burner. When I flip the prop on a gasser I do it with gusto. I never just slowly pull it through.

Ken
Old 09-25-2005, 07:43 PM
AirTech

Well the way I see it's "different strokes for different folks". If some guys like to use a starters for their gassers, that's fine with me.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:49 PM
bpryor

ORIGINAL: AirTech

Well the way I see it's "different strokes for different folks". If some guys like to use a starters for their gassers, that's fine with me.
Hi AirTech

You're right, it's absolutely fine, and I don't think anyone is saying otherwise. I think the only reason to point out the other side of the argument is when someone is new to running gassers, and they come from a glow background, they are going to assume you must use an electic starter on the great big, bad, scary prop on that giant R/C engine(and their concern is justified), when the reality is exactly the opposite. Offering the other side of the argument makes sure these new people can make an informed decision.....and although rajul(Mike) didn't say he was new to gassers, it seems from the way he stated his question he might be.

Mike, care to chime in with your take after being bombarded with all this information you didn't ask for.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:53 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My gasser starter is powered by Wheaties. However, the Sullivan Megatron will do the job.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:33 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

Well I think the point is well taken that electronic ignition gassers should start easily without an electric starter. However, I have my Miller/Dynatron in a plastic tool box with both batteries and tools for my plane assembly on top. It's just not that hard to carry it along with my transmitter case. I used this setup from day one on my DA 100 and while it may not be necessary, it gives me piece of mind knowing that it will start easily and safely every time. If you do a search on here, you'll find guys have been hit by electronic ignitions even wearing gloves and it hurt them pretty bad.

Its not that I don't understand how electronic ignition makes them easy to hand start, I just don't like taking chances with my hands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.