Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Cermark Pitts Powerplant

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 12:16 PM
Flyer Freq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cermark Pitts Powerplant

I have done my best to find information on the Cermark Pitts, S2B. I still haven't quite found what I am looking for. I hope someone can help me. I am looking to put a gasoline engine in a Cermark, S2B Pitts. I know people have been putting 40CC engines in this plane, even though the rating is for a 23CC-26CC engine. I like power too, but I don't like heavy airplanes. It looks like I could put a 40CC FPE engine in this thing and be within 1/2 pound of some of the 25CC-30CC engines. When I look at the 35CC-40CC engines, the recommended prop size seems to be in the 20" range. Is there clearance for this size prop, on this plane, or do I have to potentially over rev these engines, with a smaller prop, to put it in the Pitts?

With that question asked, will the Pitts perform torque rolls and other verticle aerobatics, with a 26CC engine? It just seems that there may not be that much of a performance gain, going outside the recommended engine range.

I have considered the following engine's, and keep in mind that I am a "Biggest bang for the buck" kind of guy:
Roto 25
Roto 35
RCS 1.40
RCS 1.80
FPE 2.4
Evolution 26GT
Evolution 35GT

Right now the FPE seems like the "biggest bang for the buck", but is it the best balanced package?

Your input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-27-2005, 12:36 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: Cermark Pitts Powerplant

Hi,
A 26cc weighs about the same as a 40cc and will do just fine on a wide blade 18x10 or 12 prop. If cost is an issue put a G38 in it. Cost is low and they run great with an 18x10 two blade prop. Bipes soakup power like a sponge. They also tend to be tail heavy, so a little extra engine weight may be good.

Dave
Old 09-28-2005, 05:15 AM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Hi,

Pickup a used 3W-24 which will pull the plane with unlimited vertical if you keep the plane wt around 12 lbs or less. That engine weighs a lot less than a G-38 and has the same power. The 3W-24 can be purchased for around $400 on this forum with usually a pitts muffler and they will turn a 18 x 8 at 8000 rpms. A second choice would be one of Ralph's G-26 conversions.

Hope this helps

Elson
Old 09-28-2005, 08:39 AM
Flyer Freq

Thanks for the input! I have heard people say that the O.S. 1.60 FX is the right engine for this plane, as well as the Dave Patric Ultimate. The specs on the MVVS/Evolution 1.6 appear to be identicle. Why wouldn't the gasser be as good as the 1.60FX? I am also considering the Dave Patric Ultimate. Either way I go, I want a gasser. I am tired of the glo mess. As I understand it, if I go with an engine like the G-38, there is not much cowl left, on the Ultimate. I suspect the 1.60 would not be too bad. Any thoughts?

If I went with a 40CC engine, will I have the ground clearance for a 20 inch prop, or will I have to stay with an 18 inch. If I go with an 18 inch, will it over rev a 40CC engine?

I like the classic looks of the Pitts, but I fear it pales in comparison to the performance of the Ultimate. Can anyone give me an idea of the performance differences? Is the Ultimate worth the extra $50.00? I am not a 3D guru, but I do like rolling circles and harrier maneuvers, as well as torque rolling and tumbling. I want a plane that is capable of these, in hopes to become proficient at them. Inverted harriers are not a desire, at least not now. I know bipes don't like to do these.

Again, your input is valued and appreciated!

Andy

Old 09-28-2005, 10:14 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Hi,
The Ultimate is a better flying plane. The Pitts has some bad traits during landing that the Ultimate lacks. It is just easier to land.

Dave
Old 09-29-2005, 04:00 PM
Peter Burgess

Hi
Clubmates of mine have both the DPM Ultimate and the Cermark Pitts. Both seem very happy with their models, however, quality wise the Ultimate is slightly the better of the two. Both aircraft would fly very well with either a MVVS 1.60 (petrol) or a Roto 25. Use a Menz S 18 x 8 prop. Bigger engines would lead to balance problems.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Flyer Freq

Thanks Guy's! The information is most appreciated. I have to admit that I am now leaning towards the Ultimate, with a MVVS 1.60. Now to get the money together.

Thanks Again!

Andy
Old 09-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

I've been flying a Cermark Pitts with a G26 for two years. Performance is great for percision aerobatics but not 3D. I'm not sure this is a good choice for a 3D machine anyway. The G26 is a Ralph Cunningham conversion to electronic ignition and weighs 2.5 lbs without battery and muffler. I get about 9000 RPM with an APC 17x8 and Slimline pitts muffler. Check my gallery for pictures and there are also pictures scattered all over the forums. I would not put antything larger on this airframe. I think the 3W 24 would also be a great engine.

I never had problems landing this aircraft. The Pitts was made for wheel landings and if you try to three point it you may run into trouble. I've flown a full scale Pitts... you might not live long if you brought that little hot rod in for a three point [X(]
Old 01-11-2006, 08:45 PM
grant118
My Feedback: (26)

What brand and style prop do you recomend to get 8000 rpm with an 18x8 on a 3w 24? I could only get about 7000 with mine but I don't know if it is broken in yet

Send to [email protected]