Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Simple Fuel Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 10:10 PM
BullardRM
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Fuel Question

OK guys--what works best, in your opinion of course. Premium or Regular? Can you tell any difference between the two (besides price)?
Old 09-27-2005, 11:04 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Default RE: Simple Fuel Question

I cant tell a difference, but I would like to believe that premium is a better quality gas and less garbage and water, but for all we know it all is the same. I use 93 just because.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:49 PM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Higher octane fuel does not necessarily have higher quality additives, or anything else higher quality than lower octane grades.

Simply put, 93 octane fuel is MORE RESISTANT to igniting than 87 octane. In a sense, you might consider this fuel to be more "oily" and less volatile (it's not really, but simply a way to visualize it). This resistance to igniting prevents pre-ignition, also known as detonation or knocking. It allows engines to have more advanced timing and/or higher compression ratios without detonating. Detonation destroys engines. More advanced timing and higher compression ratios are employed to develop greater horsepower.

My '93 300ZX and current Mini Cooper S, both require 92 octane. The Z will actually ping under hard acceleration on reduced octane. The Mini, as with more recent cars, have knock sensors, which retard the ignition (and reduce power output) if knocking is sensed. Therefore, I can run my Mini on lower octane if need be, without damaging the engine, but at reduced horsepower output.

That being said, your RC gas engine will not gain any more rpm at all, unless it is being performance limited as a result of pre-ignition.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:05 AM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Hi,

A lot depends on the engine make you are running. 3W requires 89 octane according to the manual. I also see a decrease in rpms when 87 octane is used instead of 89 or higher.

Elson
Old 09-28-2005, 05:19 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

The higher the compression the higher the required octane. Even if you cannot tell any difference at first, running lower octane fuel in a high compression engine can cause piston damage.
Best rule to follow: Run what the manufacturer recommends.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:32 AM
Dr1Driver

Whatever you use, be sure to filter it well. I use a clunk filter in the filling can, and inline filter in the filling line, another klunk filter in the on-board gas tank, and another inline filter in the carburetor supply line. Trash is the major enemy of Walbro-trype carbs.

Dr.1
Old 09-28-2005, 07:37 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the best filter to use for gas? I'm using that double sceen Sullivan extra large one on my DA50. Should it be a more fine filament filter.

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

Whatever you use, be sure to filter it well. I use a clunk filter in the filling can, and inline filter in the filling line, another klunk filter in the on-board gas tank, and another inline filter in the carburetor supply line. Trash is the major enemy of Walbro-trype carbs.

Dr.1
Old 09-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Dr1Driver

The Sullivan should be fine. I use Dubro's inline filter. I think they're all about the same.

Dr.1
Old 09-28-2005, 10:34 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

In automotive, a 10 micron pleated filter is typically used. The Sullivan or Dubro are "rock screens" relatively speaking. meaning they are pretty coarse. The Sullivan Crap Trap is a bit better, as it is a 2 stage filter, with a coarse and fine screen. Make sure you have the fuel flow oriented so that the gas goes through the coarse one first, then the fine one. These are really good to use in the line for your gasoline fill jug to fuel/defuel.

A better choice is the Walbro felt clunk that is used in many gas blowers, chainsaws, etc. It fits through the stopper hole in standard Dubro/Sullivan tanks. It is a heavy metal clunk, with a large piece of felt attached with a spring clip to the bottom of the clunk. You will find this at small engine lawn/garden repair shops.
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Dr1Driver

Thanks for the info on filters. I'll change mine out this weekend.

Dr.1
Old 10-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the best filters that I have found is a "Volkswagon", fuel filter used on the filler line when fueling your aircraft.