Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

radio interference

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 12:41 AM
airbr
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio interference

I got a million dollar question can flying wire cause radio interferance. I seem to get a lot of glitches at low low throttle settings. I have taken all other precautions keeping all radio equiptment away from the gas engine on ch ignition. Brand new radio and rx but I intalled these 4-40 flying wires made by dubro which forms a diamond shap on the vert and horz stab. I am just wondering is there a chance that it might be resonating a freq that could interupt the pcm mode my radio has.
Can any experts out there answer this mistry
Old 09-28-2005, 01:03 AM
Antique

Default RE: radio interferance

Don't know about wires, but nylon weedeater line can be threaded with a 4-40 die and works well.....[8D]
Old 09-28-2005, 05:12 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

The wire itself, no.
Yes, If you have a metal wire and a metal clevis connected to a metal support strap. Any metal to metal connections that can vibrate has the potential to produce/cause RF.
This applies on gas and glow.
I have even seen a tail wheel assembly that was worn out cause RF.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:34 AM
Dr1Driver

Any metal to metal make/break contact may cause interference. Never join metal to metal unless it's tight. Use nylon clevises, etc.

Dr.1
Old 09-28-2005, 07:21 AM
airbr

Well it has been suspected to be my problem and you guys helped clear up any doughts.
Thanks.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:28 AM
airbr

Hi, How can I get my hands on a 4-40 die does home depot sell them.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:19 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call home Depot...and let us know!
Old 10-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: airbr

Hi, How can I get my hands on a 4-40 die does home depot sell them.
I looked at quite a few places locally for that die as well as a 2-56 and no luck other than one LHS who seemed to be constantly out of stock on it. K&S is the only brand I saw anywhere and wound up getting the dies and taps from Tower.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXR767&P=ML
Old 10-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I sure won't say that metal brace wires won't cause radio interference but I have never had a problem with them. I always keep them tight.

One thing that you might try is to take them off and and do a ground range test with the engine off and running. The distance should be about the same.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78834.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	336491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47472.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	336492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze84940.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	336493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67924.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	336494  
Old 10-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's not the clevis'--then it could be the C&H ignition.

I had a problem with a C&H synchrospark on my G-62. I had all my RX stuff about 12" away from the ignition and battery. But, my switch for the ign. was only about 9" away from my RX.

I moved my RX, RX battery, and RX switch 18" away from all the ignition stuff and the problem went away.

Also re-routed my RX antenna out the opposide of the plane from where the ign. switch is. Ignition switch is on the right----so I routed the RX antenna out the left side. The RX antenna is NEVER any closer than 18" from the C&H ign. unit, switch or battery.

Nobody is gonna like this idea---but if you run your antenna back and then put a 90 degree bend in the last 1/4 of the wire---you can sometimes get better recepetion--or eliminate an RF problem. Not 1/4"---I'm saying the last 1/4 of the total length of the antenna lead. About 10--12"

I always run my RX antenna outside the plane. So, I run it out the side of the plane and down the side of the fuse. untill it reaches the LE of the horizontal stab. Then I bend it 90 degrees and run it right along the LE of the stab. Get some monokote or other covering to match your stab and cut little 1" wide strips. Iron 3 or 4 of the strips down along the LE of the stab to secure the antenna wire. Works great and looks decent.

I'm not sure exactly how to explain WHY this works to improve reception. We had a problem with reception at a field I used to fly at. It was discovered that putting a bend in the RX antenna would help. Something to do with how the RX antenna would recieve the waves from the TX. Your presenting a larger profile of the antenna to the TX when you have a bend in it--as opposed to having it all run parrellel to the fuse sides. When the antenna is parrellel to the fuse sides--your only presenting a cross section of the antenna thats as big as it is in diameter. So, the antenna is only exposed to the TX waves by the size of it's diameter---which--on an antenna wire is about 1/16".

By placing the bend in the wire in the last 1/3 or 1/4 of the length---your exposing a larger profile of the antenna to the TX waves. Your getting at least 10--12" of the wire exposed to the TX waves---as oppossed to only the size of the diameter ---1/16"

Hope this makes sense.

If you've got your throttle servo mounted in the front of the plane---only a few inches away from the C&H unit---then that could be a problem too. I know a lot of guys do it successfully--but if your having problems--then don't rule this out.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:08 PM
airbr

Thanks guys for all the of your replies. I have had this problem a year ago in this same type aircraft it is like bad luck or somthing. I ended up loosing that aircraft and have remade it since.
I have replace my tx and rx with brand new futaba's as well. The only thing that is the same in relation to the old one is the flying wires and the extensions going to the ailerons. Brand new radio brand new cd ignition different engine. All my components are at the safe required distance from each other 12 to 24 inches. My antenna goes straight from the rx up through the turtle deck and back to the vert stab. The antenna is rather close to these wires which is what makes them suspect on both old and new model. They are soildered tight as far as I can tell. But when I check the area of the wires when the connect through the stab it adds up to be well over 4 feet. So I am taking a while guess off the top of my head that they are becoming an antenna as well with the rx antenna running on top of it may be closer in flight when it dangles, I could be wrong because this is not my area of expert.

I don't know guys I am at a lost with this can't have any fun flying this aircraft that flies like a dream. I have just replaced the bearings as well in the engine thinking that they could cause the problem but have not had the chance to fly it. I am going to replace those flying rods with the pull pull type and see what happens. Have not had the chance to find the 4-40 dyes yet.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Big_Bird

One thing that you might try is to take them off and and do a ground range test with the engine off and running. The distance should be about the same.

Ken
I noticed that you didn't mention removing the braces and doing a range test to see if they are the problem. Probably not worth fooling with, huh?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:38 AM
airbr

The Problem only exist in flight coming down from a vertical manuever or on the glide slopjust as the motor is going to idle. I have done 360 degrees radio check on the ground with and without motor running and could not duplicate. The braces are functional so I cannot fly without them.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:35 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do any of the braces (flying wires) rub together? If so, there could be an airspeed that causes them to resonate (vibrate) and that could cause interferance. If so, insulate with a piece of electrical tape and see if the problem dissappears.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:14 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

The Problem only exist in flight coming down from a vertical manuever or on the glide slopjust as the motor is going to idle. I have done 360 degrees radio check on the ground with and without motor running and could not duplicate. The braces are functional so I cannot fly without them.
If it occurs at the same spot while flying it is most likely caused by multipath transmission errors. What happens is the transmission waves are reflected from something and arrive at your receiver just as the direct transmission waves arrive. Since they travel a longer distance they are out of phase with the direct transmission waves and at some spots cancel them out. You then will have a glitch at that spot. There is not much you can do but change the spot you fly from.
Multipath can cause a lot of problems that will change from day to day sometimes. Our hand held antennas that rely on ground reflections for a counterpoise almost guarentee that.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:31 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

In a electronic ignition system, what is the unit most likely to cause radio interference, the ignition unit, the switch or the battery.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:37 PM
airbr

Could it be reflecting from the braces or flying wires just like you said. I have another model with a homie 25 on CDI using the pull pull cable set up flying at the same field with a much better flying experience.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:52 PM
airbr

You have a very good point, thanks.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:39 PM
rideon67

My flying wires made a continuous steel box shape from the stab to the fin top & bottom. I changed the metal strap joining them on the bottom to a plastic strap, moved the antenna outside the fuse, separated all ignition & Rx stuff. All made no difference. Your demon sounds like metal to metal somewhere.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:53 PM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

Absolutely! In fact a friend of mine had exactly the same problem. The wires (plastic jacketed) abrade through the plastic and abrade (metal to metal) against the metal brackets that Sullivan supply with this "kit" and cause RF interference.

Funny you should mention this since he used this crappy tail wire kit nearly three years ago and I see that they're still marketed and packaged the same way....

The ignorance of some of these supposed Manufacture's is just astounding sometimes......

I got a million dollar question can flying wire cause radio interferance. I seem to get alot of glitches at low low throttle settings. I have taken all other precautionskeeping all radio equiptment away from the gas engine on ch ignition. Brand new radio and rx but I intalled these 4-40 flying wires made by dubro which forms a diamond shap on the vert and horz stab. I am just wondering is there a chance that it might be resonating a freq that could interupt the pcm mode my radio has.
Can any experts out there answer this mistry.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:42 PM
airbr

You are so right about that. The straps seems to be made of soft steel which would be reacted more to radio, static and electromagnetic currents. I bet if I change the straps to aluminum or plastic the problem would go away. Can anyone elaberate on this subject in greater detail.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:42 PM
mstroh3961

What you have with that setup is a continuous loop. if you use nylon bolts to attach the brackets, it will brake the loop and reduce the chance of causing glitches. Plastic clevises will brake the circuit as well.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:39 AM
airbr

You know I was goint to do that first but decided to just do away with the 4-40 wire setup.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:51 PM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: mstroh3961

What you have with that setup is a continuous loop. if you use nylon bolts to attach the brackets, it will brake the loop and reduce the chance of causing glitches. Plastic clevises will brake the circuit as well.

This is a common misconception, or one of the many wives tales that seem to carry on... It has absolutely nothing to do with "a continuous loop"..

The same thing would happen regardless of the geometry of the routing of the wire.

It's the metal to meatal abrasion that causes the interference. NOT the routing of the wire itself....