Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

What GAS engine To choose DA or 3W???? HELP!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

What GAS engine To choose DA or 3W???? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 10:57 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What GAS engine To choose DA or 3W???? HELP!!!

Hi Everyone!

I'm planing to become a larger scale flyer looking into buying a Aero Works Katana 36% or a Exclusive Modelbau 2,16 meter Ultimate Biplane

Both Planes Require a 100cc Gas engine. and both planes weight about 10 Kilograms

now since i don't know any other flyer that flies 100cc gas engines here in Sweden where i live o though of getting my answers from you guys who seem to have alot of experience in this subject.

I talked with a 3W dealer in Germany and he was not very happy with the 3W engines because many of his customers have had many problems with ignition and service was bad as-well. He told be to get a DA 100 because they are much moire reliable and have no trouble with ignition, there are eaven clients with 3W engines that use the DA ignition because of this issue.

My question is then looking at these two manufacturers which one has the best performance and BEST RELIABILITY.

DA 100

or 3W 100, i probably might consider putting in the 3W 106i B2 for more power.

all in all i'm looking for best quality and best reliability

would be great to get some feedback on this, since i plan to start getting into planes that use around 100cc engines.

Hope to hear from someone soon, since i have to make up my mind soon.

/Magnus
Old 09-28-2005, 03:51 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What GAS engine To choose DA or 3W???? HELP!!!

You are going to get many many different answers, But I feel you can not go wrong with either engine. The 3W106 will have more power. and by now they should have any ignitions problems worked out.
The DA is just as fine of an engine, service is great too.
Flip a coin
Old 09-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Mrt1750

While your flipping that coin make it three sided and add ZDZ to the mix.
Thanks
Old 09-28-2005, 03:59 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Hi,
Because of your location, you may be able to get a better deal on the 3W engine.

Dave
Old 09-28-2005, 04:24 PM
RTK

Since you brought it up add a fourth side, BME110 Lighter by 2lbs and more power than all of the above.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:32 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Quote:all in all i'm looking for best quality and best reliability
As mentioned flip a coin, I have several of both, quality and reliability to me are equal. If you have no gasser experience I would suggest the DA. If you have experience setting up, and running gas engines then I would opt for the power 3W offers. As far as ignitions are concerned I have seen as many DA ignitions fail as I have 3W's..
Old 09-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Diablo-RCU

Is there a distributor in your country who handles the warranty repair?
Nearby country with inexpensive and quick mailing?
You need to find out about the reputation of the folks that handle the warranty service.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:43 PM
ernst

regarding the 3w dealer you spoke to can't be mutch of a dealer otherwise he would have told you about the new ignitions
regarding engines buy wat you want most engines now have quallity power some more than others and 3w comes under the more
power categorie you have them next door what more do you want
And to start a do and a don't is not clever at all as you opening a can of worms regarding 3w and da as there are to many people have a say on subject
ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Hi Everyone!

I'm planing to become a larger scale flyer looking into buying a Aero Works Katana 36% or a Exclusive Modelbau 2,16 meter Ultimate Biplane

Both Planes Require a 100cc Gas engine. and both planes weight about 10 Kilograms

now since i don't know any other flyer that flies 100cc gas engines here in Sweden where i live o though of getting my answers from you guys who seem to have alot of experience in this subject.

I talked with a 3W dealer in Germany and he was not very happy with the 3W engines because many of his customers have had many problems with ignition and service was bad as-well. He told be to get a DA 100 because they are much moire reliable and have no trouble with ignition, there are eaven clients with 3W engines that use the DA ignition because of this issue.

My question is then looking at these two manufacturers which one has the best performance and BEST RELIABILITY.

DA 100

or 3W 100, i probably might consider putting in the 3W 106i B2 for more power.

all in all i'm looking for best quality and best reliability

would be great to get some feedback on this, since i plan to start getting into planes that use around 100cc engines.

Hope to hear from someone soon, since i have to make up my mind soon.

/Magnus
who do not even own either of them but get on this to get to get kiks out of it
easy to blame the product but in most cases it's the end user that has the propblem as they are incompetent using the product in the first place leave the manufacturer allone they sticking their hands in their pocked to bring us the best possible product you don't see the complainers and moaners do that
my best advice get an engine learn how to use it properly and you be happy
regarding 3w have a look what they made and improved over the last 5 years what have da done over the last 5 years look at statistics
not hear say or rumors tht don't wash and get you nowhere

ernst
Old 09-28-2005, 04:46 PM
RTK

I agree, if you can have problems taken care of locally, that would have a big influence on your decision.
If you are well versed in gas engine operation, that would lessen your influence.

I still like my BME 110 lots of power, reliable and good service.

I also own some of the above mentioned brands.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:32 PM
ernst

Magnes
forgot to mention there is only 1 3w dealer in Germany 3w Modell Motoren you honestly think they would have told you to buy a da
or where you just trying to open a can of worms

just my 2 cents worth

ernst
Old 09-28-2005, 09:16 PM
flier
My Feedback: (7)

Having both of these engines, DA-100 and 3W-100, I find both well made and good power.
3W, ZDZ, or the MVVS all would be good engines for your project.
Better to deal with a manufacturer that is more local to Europe.
Which one has the best performance and BEST RELIABILITY?
You'll find opinions from one extreme to the other on this subject.
Will you be using a tuned exhaust system?
If so, then the ZDZ/MVVS engines is where I'd buy.
Just something to think about.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:36 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Ernst,
The reason 3W has "made so many improvements the last 5 years", is because they HAD TO, to keep customers. And the reason 3W are coming out with so many different models, is because they have the time to sit and design them. DA is selling everything they can produce, and don't have time to sit and design new engines. There are many top pilots flying DA engines, so even their 5 year old designs must be pretty dang good.

Magnus,
I understand that Tony Clark in Germany is the importer of DA engines to Europe. From what I hear he is an absolutely stand up guy, and as service minded as Dave Johnson. If you deside on DA, you will be in very good hands with Tony, and I am certain you can expect a very fast turn around, if service is ever needed.

I have owned 3W, MVVS, ZDZ and DA engines, and I am 100% DA now. The DA100 on a set of in fuse cans, swinging a Mejzlik28x10, will 3D a 10 kilo (22 lb) plane like nobody's busines. It will 3D up to a 14 kilo plane, unless you are at a significant altitude.

Just my 2 cents, and best of luck with your project. Please make sure you read as much as possible here and in other similar forums about proper and safe procedures when handeling these engines, because they can and will let you know, often in a severe way, when you make a mistake.

Hej daa,

DKjens
Old 09-30-2005, 02:26 AM
[email protected]

Thank you for all your answers, All in all it seems like there are allot of good engines out there and picking either of 3W or DA seems like a good investment,

I think i made up my mind about the engine i'm gonna get, ill go for the 3W 106 i B2 CS, seem like a reliable and powerful engine for its class.

Since i plan to stay in 100cc size airplanes i think this is about the perfect combination for extra good power : )

Thanks also for the tip on Security measures, i also think that is a very important part sin ce consequences can be very severe from these engines,
i have a friend who lost half his finger when he was starting his Saito 300T engine on the field using only his bear hand.
The plane was not secured properly before starting and he stopped it by reflex by putting up up his hand.
and the part of the finger that got cut off made a hole in a plane body 4 meter away and was found inside.
Unfortunately his finger was able to be saved.

He is still a good and enthusiastic pilot today, but now he always uses a chicken stick (Rubber stick) and secures the plane before running the engine.

I have rule that i always use when i go boating, that i think applies very well to model airplanes as well.
!QUOT!Never untie the boat before starting the engine!QUOT!

hope to get more nice tips about hos too run and tune my engine, to start with I'm gonna order one, the i ll be back for more info

Thanks

/Magnus
Old 09-30-2005, 04:22 AM
Supermod56
My Feedback: (36)

There is nothing hard about setting up and running a 3W, at least I have never had an issue in the last 10+ years of using them. Good choice on the 106, you won't be disappointed!! DA's are good also.
Tom
Old 09-30-2005, 06:29 AM
[email protected]

Thanks for the input, Regarding DA´s seems like they only have 50, 100, and 150 cc engine nothin ibetween. I have seen only one 212 4 cylinder engine that was a prototype.

So i guess the 106i B2 CS is a good choice for the 100cc class engines.

anny good tips on good sites for info about users and gas engines ?

/Magnus
Old 09-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are thinking of putting the BME,110 extreme in a Aeroworks 36% Katana, I think you would be better off not to choose the BME 110 engine for that particular plane, because the KATANA, is just too light on the nose and seems to come out a little tail heavy. That's a real shame too because the BME 110 extreme is a real powerhouse and a quality built product too boot. I have an Aeroworks 36% that I installed a DA 100 on. allthough I havn't flown it yet I fully expect it to perform great, unlike it's little brother the "DA50", with all it's related, and well doccumented problems. The 100cc and 150cc engines seem to be real good running engines, and everyone that I know that runs one really likes it. I was wanting to run the Soon to be released "TAURUS" 107B2, but Bill, (Taurus Engines) seems to be dragging his feet with the introduction, and I just couldn't hold out for it's release, even though I will have one just as soon as they are available. One thing you can be sure of, when it is released, It will be right. You are lucky because there are many good engines in this size and class, and just about any one you choose will be a good choice. Of course everyone will try and persuade you that their engine is the best, myself included, but after all the smoke clears, take your pick.........TAURUS, BME, 3W, DA, or ZDZ. You can't go wrong with any of them. Good Luck
Old 10-03-2005, 02:06 AM
[email protected]

Thanks for the input,

I have decided to go for the 3W 106 i CS and a Katana 36% from AeroWorks, and later i'll get a 2.18m Ultimate byplane from Exclusive Modelbau in germany for the same engine : ),

I'm really looking forward to start with Gas engines since i hav until now only used Saito 300 T glow engines.

/Magnus

Old 10-03-2005, 03:31 AM
Vismund

Hi Magnus!

Where in Stockholm do you fly? I am currently flying at f18 in Tullinge, and the funny thing is that I'm also looking at this plane and the different setups you are writing about. How are you going to order it? Directly from US?
Another option is to buy a katana from World Models, which is based on the same design (some hardware difference only). The katana from WM has already arrived in Sweden and is avaible from any dealer that is carrying Minicars assortment for approx 7.500.- SEK.

Plz, keep me updated on the process since, as I stated earlier, I'm also intrested in this combo.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:41 AM
Thinn

Hello Magnus!
I thought I should inform you of the 3W, DA & ZDZ dealers in Norway! They're not too far away, and will most probably be more than happy to ship over the border, and supply the service you require.

3W Supplier, Geir Flesche : http://www.3wnorge.com/
DA Supplier, RCFlight (Kjell Aanvik) : http://www.rc-flight.com/catalog/
ZDZ Supplier, Bekkum Hobby : http://www.mamut.com/bekkumhobby/

Hope this helps!
(I just got a 1,9m Ultimate in the door, so I'm in search of a powerplant as well)