Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Newbie to petrol power... "white" gas questions.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Newbie to petrol power... "white" gas questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 09:37 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie to petrol power... "white" gas questions.

At the risk of annoying some folks, I have some questions.

I'm looking to get into gasoline power with an H9 Extra 27%. However, I keep my models in the house, so regular gasoline is simply NOT an option due to the smell.

Lots of heli buddies are running Coleman-type fuel in their gasser helis, and I hear lots of fixed-wing guys do it as well. I realize that some engines don't do well with the stuff, but a pal tells me that Taurus engines handle it and they are among the best to be had anyway.

I will contact them tomorrow; in the meantime, I would appreciate some of you guy's observations on the topic.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:30 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie to petrol power... "white" gas questions.

Coleman fuel seems to work fine for me. But its low octane and not recommended for some engines.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

per Clarenc Lee and a few other experts, ocatane rating do not mean much for the smaller engines we use. Yes, in all cases I've witnessed ( a great many) there is no detectable difference in using Coleman fuel or regular gasoline. One way to tell for sure, do some experiments. Tack your engine with both types of fuel and see what you get, I doubt you will be able to tell the difference. By doing that you know for sure and are not relying on rumors or untested opinions.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:16 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Walmart sells some that is a little cheaper. Its got a name like Arkansas Traveler or something like that.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:28 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Before I would even try it, I would check with the engine manufacturer and see what they have to say.
As stated before, some engines will be fine others will be toast.

I too keep my models in the house. If you pump out the gas and plug the vent line there really isn't any smell.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:54 AM
LSP972

Spoke with Bill O. this morning. He freely admitted that he doesn't have a clue, since he's never run these newer engines on the stuff. He said that he thinks some customers of his are doing it, but he's not sure what the oil ratio, etc., should be. He also could think of no reason why it shouldn't work.

Gotta love that honesty. But here's the kicker; he said that I piqued his curiousity, so he's going to run some lantern fuel/whatever in a TS 52 to find out!

What a refreshing conversation that was. This is a straight-forward, no-BS man who has confidence in his product and the accumulated knowledge/experience to back up what he says. In short, my kind of guy.

Assuming he finds no issues with the white gas in Taurus engines, I'll be buying one from him.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:22 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: Rodney

per Clarenc Lee and a few other experts, ocatane rating do not mean much for the smaller engines we use. Yes, in all cases I've witnessed ( a great many) there is no detectable difference in using Coleman fuel or regular gasoline. One way to tell for sure, do some experiments. Tack your engine with both types of fuel and see what you get, I doubt you will be able to tell the difference. By doing that you know for sure and are not relying on rumors or untested opinions.
The ZDZ factory recommends a rather high octane rating for their engines. Do you think that, perhaps, they know a bit more about their engines than we do?
Old 10-10-2005, 02:11 PM
LSP972

Not to mention that I don't HAVE an engine yet, and the necessity for whatever I buy to run satisfactorily on white gas being a deal-breaker... so I don't knoiw yet WHAT to buy.

Which is why I posed this question...
Old 10-11-2005, 04:53 AM
Don M.

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

Spoke with Bill O. this morning. He freely admitted that he doesn't have a clue, since he's never run these newer engines on the stuff. He said that he thinks some customers of his are doing it, but he's not sure what the oil ratio, etc., should be. He also could think of no reason why it shouldn't work.

Gotta love that honesty. But here's the kicker; he said that I piqued his curiousity, so he's going to run some lantern fuel/whatever in a TS 52 to find out!

What a refreshing conversation that was. This is a straight-forward, no-BS man who has confidence in his product and the accumulated knowledge/experience to back up what he says. In short, my kind of guy.

Assuming he finds no issues with the white gas in Taurus engines, I'll be buying one from him.

I too was so impressed with my coversations with Bill @ Taurus and the excellent comments by users on RCU that I now have a TS52 sitting in my house. In this day of con artists and money grabbers, you gotta love him.