Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

3W 100 B2 - Is QS mod worth the $$?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W 100 B2 - Is QS mod worth the $$?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 06:31 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Responses

Old 11-17-2002, 06:33 PM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Default 3W 100 B2 - Is QS mod worth the $$?

Do these engines really know where they are being used...........
Old 11-17-2002, 06:36 PM
Antique

Hey erj, sure it does..They both have two "heads" sticking out the sides and a shaft out the front, with a carb in the middle..
Just like a Ford V8 looks like a Dodge V8....LOL..............
Old 11-17-2002, 06:39 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have both the 3w 100 and a DA 100

3w 100 is in a troy built extra 260 at 24 lbs standard pipe 28 10 menz standard. INSANE power and noisy

DA 100 in a fiberclassics Extra 330L at 24 lbs but with PEFA 2 into 1 pipes. I am running a 28 10 Mej. INSANE power and quiet

THEY BOTH WIN. PERIOD

But one thing I noticed when I was trying different props. As I loaded my 3w down with larger props I did not see a larger change in rpm.

When I put the larger props on the DA I noticed a more of a rpm loss. fwiw
Old 11-17-2002, 06:46 PM
erjpilot

I guess if we look at it that way, then shouldn't Henry Ford get credit for the original "patented " multiple cylinders, crankcase, crankshaft design, ah, I mean engine? So there you have it, 3W copied Henry Ford. Ah, I am so relieved that now I understand! At least we now know who copied who.
Old 11-17-2002, 06:49 PM
Antique

Naw, Henry copied someone else...He perfected the assembly line, also copied from someone else..I'm not quite old enough to remeber who...
Old 11-17-2002, 07:54 PM
fryfly
My Feedback: (8)

good sound advise for us all BRAVO!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2002, 08:16 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Getting back to the original question. The QS-106 appears to be a bad ****, with bigtime power and smoothness according to Klotz (not the oil manufacturer) on RCU. I haven't seen any posts on the non-QS version of the same motor - perhaps it's just too new. Likewise, there's no reports yet on the BME 110 or the ZDZ-100 because they haven't hit the street. I haven't heard about any new DA-100, so they are standing pat with the engine they have.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:22 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Here is the QS-106 in question. Is it worth the extra expense? I hope so..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	36088_2181.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	22662  
Old 11-17-2002, 09:53 PM
fryfly

I myself wouldn't hesitate on this motor Bobby Wilson said this motor is comparible to the old 120,lots of oomph!!!!!!! as far as the carb go your right I don't think either the tillotson is better or worse than the Walbro, I'm not going to call anyone a liar but I have never seen a walbro on any of the engines I have bought so if you guys say they exist then fine no problem,as far as everything else I got into this sport for the fun of it and have wanted to do this since I was a kid now that I am financially fit,it's now possible. You guys get toooooooooo!!!! serious with this stuff and take it too personal too bad cause were all here to just have fun GOOD reply QUIST your answer is what I originally tried to get across,No drop in rpm with bigger props,it's amazing how far off track we have gotten with this discussion I'm done guys you all have fun bickering amonst yourselves!!!!!!! it's not worth it for me
Old 11-17-2002, 11:24 PM
locoworks

Default ?

yes, keep bickering..... . my ZDZ80 twin has a Bing carb fitted, spose thats the worst carb of the lot???? :disappoin
Old 11-18-2002, 11:56 PM
fryfly

just wasted to let you guys know I was wrong on one fact and I appologies and take back what I said about the patend on the 3-W 50 , it's not on their 50 that they have a patend but on the internal components on their exhaust and it is a patent throughout the U.S.Sorry!!! D.A. is having trouble with their 50 though,they can't can't quite seem to get the bugs out but I'm sure they will eventually,they are spending all their time on the crank they can't seem to get the motor from vibrating and they were having trouble getting it started!! but hopefully soon the problem will be fixed. just wanted to show everyone a few pictures and some info that probably no one would know about unless you were at this years T.O.C. at the tournament this year D.A. had 5 dead sticks and 3 broken cranks plus Jason Shulman almost lost his plane in a manuever that he had to pull out of because his motor darn near quit on him, following is a pic of jason changing his carb after the incident.The day before the tournament started Chip Hyde broke the crank on the new 4 cylinder but if you guys don't believe me on the cranks here is a few pics of the motors that were lost due to broken cranks,I'm not saying that 3-W hasn't had any problems in the past but this info isn't something that D.A. is going to come right out and tell you I guess 3-W was just lucky this year to come out on top of the pack without anything seriously going wrong if the following pics don't show post a reply and I will e-mail all of them direct to whoever want's them.

Name:	36313_7904.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	22663  
Old 11-18-2002, 11:57 PM
fryfly

sorry couldn't fit them all in here's another

Name:	36314_7904.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	22664  
Old 11-19-2002, 01:13 AM
T_Hill

fryfly,

It's funny how you missed Roland's 3W coming apart and I believe QS made a engine change as well. There were 2 DA cranks break at the TOC and the one on Goldsmith's lost a blade then the crank broke. Are you sure Chip's 200 broke a crank, I got to the north field while they were changing the engine and heard it was just down on power. I can honestly say I didn't count dead sticks for the post TOC engine wars. Since one of the broken cranks was on warm up pilots plane, we'll count both pilots. One was DA and I think the other was 3W.

16 DA's 1 failure, 2 if you want to count Goldsmiths.
7 3W's 1 failure, 2 if QS did change motors.

Best case for 3W, 1 of 7 failed with 2 out of 16 DA's. Don't see much to choose from. Best case for DA, 1 of 16 failed with 2 of 7 for 3W. What pack is it 3W came out on top of.

Tracy Hill
Old 11-19-2002, 01:35 AM
Antique

Funny, I just talked to DA this afternoon and they said there were no broken cranks on the 50, and no other problems..6300 on a 24-8 sounds good to me......Sure would like to know the NAME of the person the information is coming from.......How about it ?????
A patent on the exhaust port ?? Come on, that is not possible..I have a whole box of 3W cylinders out here in the shop and there is nothing but a hole in the side of the cylinder, certainly nothing anyone could get a patent on.....
If you don't want to name names here, just send an E mail...
[email protected].....
Also have some 3W cranks that the threads broke off from being too hard....The spindle on the front of the engine is also the nut that holds the hub on the shaft..In a severe crash the impact puts enough stress on the spindle to break the threads...
In all fairness, ANYTHING can happen in a crash, but the 3W threads are the only ones I have seen broken like this..Most engines use a nut to hold the hub on, so the impact is not on the threads alone....
Old 11-19-2002, 02:21 AM
fryfly

yes I agree that sounds good with that size prop and I hope it works out well for them, I never said exhaust ports i just said exhaust, they have a patent on their internal components in the exhaust tubes they use,mini turbo fans,it creates about 100 to 200 more rpm's and with a gas engine I believe that's pretty good. If you guys want to know the whole scoop on everything all you have to do is go to the field when they fly or be there when they do as far as I know it's not restricted maybe I'm wrong maybe it is restricted !!!hey guys I don't stick up for anyone but myself and I don't have people giving me motors or paying me to say 3-W is the best ,don't get me wrong I think D.A. puts out a great motor but you guys sound like D.A.walks on water,I'm sticking up for 3-W because I think it is a superior motor and not many people out there have enough guts to say what's on their mind even if everyone out there is ganging up on them or doesn't agree with them but I do, and I will stick up for 3-W by the way why do you guys stick up for D.A. HUH !!!
as far as the TOC goes the crank #'s are right and the pack that 3-w came out on top of is this, It takes twice the number of D.A.'s to keep up with the 3-W 7-3-W's 16-D.A.'s don't seem fair !!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2002, 04:31 AM
Antique

One of the 3W failures was due to a pinhole in the CAST crankcase., causing loss of crankcase pressure to the fuel pump in the carb....CNC cases don't have casting flaws.....
DA testing is done at the Tucson Radio Control club field,South and East of Tucson.....
Were you there when they allegedly had problems with the 50 ???
Old 11-19-2002, 06:53 AM
quist

I believe the broken crank on Glezellis' judge demo plane was caused by a prop strike with a bolly prop not a engine flaw.

I have seen the Da 50 run and it started with no problem. An employee of DA flew one in his cap at the TIMPA Imac contest. That motor was strong.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:23 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default what are your thoughts?

those sound like some good numbers on the 24 x 8 DA 50! So i am learning alot from this guided discussion!
Old 11-19-2002, 11:27 AM
fryfly

sounds like they have the bugs worked out,good! 3-W needs a little compitition in the 50 class I guess that's why ZDZ jumped into the boat too, tired of 3-W getting all the press!! I've had a few prop strikes myself and they never broke cranks just props.that was no prop strike that was fatigue!!!
Old 11-19-2002, 03:37 PM
quist

Have you ever done it with a bolly prop.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:33 PM
fryfly

nope,I don't use bolly,and besides with the wheel pants broke all to heck and the damage that was done to that plane it wasn't on the ground when the crank snapped it was deadsticked in.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:50 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

All i can say after reading ALLLL these posts is. . PUHLEASE!!!

Fryfly, its obvious you are ignorant of many of the deisgn differences and similarities between the different engines out there.. In 2-cycle engines there are a number of ways to do things and get the desired results, but when you go to totally optimize an engine design, it usually boils down to things starting to look very similar.. "Form follows function" is a good way to look at it.

The DA engines are totally proprietary designs, using much improved design characteristics over the 3W product line.. I own 4 3W's and have sold two other off. I own a DA150, and have also had 3 BME 100/102's with two of the 110 Xtremes on order. I've compared power, tractability, weight, overall design, and longevitiy of components and designs, and to put it mildly. . 3W motors, although their basic engineering is okay, just STINK compared to the DA or BME's. . EVERY 3W I have has a DA carb mounting block and ignition, otherwise I would not DARE to put them into an airplane. .Too many deadsticks, flameouts, bad runs and broken planes from 3W motor failures have led to me doing this. . 3W motors LEAK. . and their ignitions are a joke. NONE of my BME's ever leaked, had an ignition problem, or ran poorly in the midrange, and neither does my DA.

When 100% of the engines you have from 3W have the same exact same and stupid problems designed in as delivered, its pretty indicative that there is an overall problem and the product (3w ) is to be avoided in the future. I will NEVER buy another 3W product, and am quite happily selling off the ones I have to whatever people I can get to buy them, even including the DA ignition plus the original 3w ignition in the deal. I'm going stricly DA and BME in the future, havine two BME's on order and waiting till I sell off some of these 3W's to get another DA.

BME and DA are the two BEST engines on the market, with 3W a VERY distant third. Its not a matter of opinion, its been proven by a large number of very disappointed people who feel the same way as I.

NOW. .is the QS series of engines worth the price???. . . not unless they cut that price in half, supply a couple of spare carb mounting blocks, and at least 2 spare ignitions.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:09 PM
Randy-RCU

Originally posted by fryfly

Snip
I don't have people giving me motors or paying me to say 3-W is the best ,don't get me wrong I think D.A. puts out a great motor but you guys sound like D.A.walks on water,
snip
As per your walk on water

yest they do

Saw them over the lake at JN more then once

Randy
Old 11-20-2002, 10:00 PM
fryfly

well sounds like all you guys are getting a darn good back scratching from somewhere, I don't know where but as far as I know 3-W was around before D.A.,I've never had problems of a major concern,not like broken cranks and such,that's alright you guys can fly what you wan't I don't have to live with it you do!!!! and Randy it sounds like at one time or another you might have been sponsored, I don't know but it sounds like it,if I'm wrong I appologies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.