Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Brillelli 25GT on a CMP Giles-202

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 06:31 PM
GJAUBIN
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brillelli 25GT on a CMP Giles-202

I finally have the 26SS installed on the Giles. Started carving up the cowl and was wondering if opening up three "slits" in front of the head would be enough for cooling. I was thinking about 1/8" wide by 2" long running vertical. This would allow air flow directly over the head. I managed to get the cowl on without making any openings other than for the exhaust, carb and spark plug cap. I will be making an opening on the bottom of the cowl behind the engine for air exit.

Also, should I place air deflectors in the factory openings to direct airflow over the head?

Thanks
Gary

Old 02-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GJAUBIN,

I have the cowl opened up on both sides of the spinner. There is no need for a deflecter as it will cool fine but you have to make sure you have enough air coming in and at least double that going out the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63266.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	630488  
Old 03-20-2007, 05:32 AM
GJAUBIN

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but I have a couple of questions. Where was everyones CG set for this bird? I have a 26SS in the nose and I'm coming out pretty tail heavy. I'm sitting at approx 160MM from the leading edge. Manual calls for 130-140. I have moved the Rx battery as far forward as I dare so as not to get any Rf problems. I've also kept the Rx at least 12" away from ignition.
I have the ignition mounted outside the engine box. Would placing aluminum tape under the ignition help stop any interference if I moved the Rx forward? Trying not to add any additional weight if I don't have to.

Thanks
Gary

Old 03-20-2007, 07:07 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

If I remember correctly you have to balance the Giles about 1 1/2" out from the fuselage and 130 to 140cc back from the leading edge. I had the 25GT in mine and the engine was a little heavier than the 26ss so you might just have to add a few oz's to the noise. Zippi could answer your question better because he has the 26ss engine in his.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:34 AM
GJAUBIN

Thanks Jim. Wasn't sure where the if the extra 20mm would make a big difference with the size of this plane. Just trying to keep the useless weight down.

Would the aluminum tape make a difference with the interference? I have heard this can help, just not sure if this is an old wives tale or not.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2007, 08:11 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Gjaubin,

I have never tried the aluminum tape thing, but I have heard it does work some times. I would give it a try , but I would also do a real good range check before I flew the plane. I am not real sure on this but I think you just have to keep the ignition 12" away from your reciever. I had both my ignition battery and reciever battery right next to each other in my Giles and never had a problem. I was using a PCM reciever. I my just have been lucky
Old 03-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GJAUBIN,

I can't really remember but I think I balacned it in the middle of what the print said. I have my battery pack and EI in the engine box and the battey pack for the on board equipment is just behind the wing tube. That little 26cc gasser is ticking like a Timex watch. I took my Giles 202 to the field a couple weeks ago for my first flight of this year and after setting in the cold garage all winter it just took a little priming and it fired right up. Brillelli engine are great, I just fired up my 40cc GT on my QQ YAK 54 and after a little tweaking on the needles it was purring like a kitten. As far as the aluminum tape, I don't think I'd be adding extra goodies unless you need to. Just make sure you have no metal to metal contact anywhere and your EI and on board equipment has some space between them and do a range check.