Brillelli 25GT on a CMP Giles-202

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 10:41 PM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Brillelli 25GT on a CMP Giles-202

Skiman,

The gas engines have that sound that most of use just love. The gasser's are heavier and have less power than a nitro engine of the same size. The gas engine will run a lot longer on far less fuel than a nitro engine and the power band of a gas engine is around 7000 to 8500 depending on the engine. If you are into 3d you are better off staying with a Nitro engine, but if you want to do 3d on a 80" or larger the gas engine will give you the power as long as it is 50cc or larger. So to answer your question it depends on what you want to do and what size of plane you are flying.

In the long run a gas engine will more than pay for itself just in the fuel savings alone.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:57 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Skinny Bob,

Somewhat like you, I have a 68" span Goldberg Extra 300 that had a G90 glow engine that started to give all sorts of eratic running problems. Having wanted to have a gas model for some time I decided to experiment, and replaced the glow motor with a EI G23, which with a RTF weight of just over 10 lbs has proved to be a very good combination.

Karol
Old 06-11-2006, 06:48 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

skiman762,

The Giles 202 with the Brillelli 25cc GT is my first gasser and I am hopefully going to maided it today if the rain stays away. I haven't even gotten it in the air yet but just running it on the ground the sound just sets you apart from the rest of the crowd if you know what I mean. I am at the age where I'm trying to slow things down a little and these little baby gassers are just great. Not only are the engines great, the customer servise is out of this world. I have been flying for over 14 years and I have never seen or heard of anyone going out of their way to help someone the way Scott at Brillelli engine does. It is just unreal the way Scott treats people. Anyway, just the look of a gasser hanging out the bottom of the cowling and the sound will get you hooked really quick
Old 06-11-2006, 08:29 AM
skiman762

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now what type of flyer is the giles 202
I have been thinking about a sukhoi su-31 but I don't know much about how they fly
I love the looks of that style plane like the edge540, cap232 etc
need to do some research I have a morris big boy that that I bought the ys140 for but that would be an awsome engine for the su-31
I could put the gasser on the bigboy

Old 06-11-2006, 02:36 PM
jstanton

Skinman,

The Brillelli would be a great engine for your Big Boy. Here is a video of a Brillelli 25GT with magneto flying a Great Planes Giant Big stick which is very similar is size to the Big Boy. Your YS140 would be a better fit for the Su-31

http://media.putfile.com/Brillelli-2...iant-Big-Stick
Old 06-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Zippi

Here is a short [link=http://media.putfile.com/Giles-202-Maiden]video[/link] of the maiden flight of my Giles 202 with Brillelli 25cc GT/EI. I had about 10 flights today and all but one were dead stick. I kept leaning out the high end and riching up the low until the engine ran strong in the air but every time I would chop the throttle the engine would die. I tried leaning the low end and then richen it up but the plane still would die when I would lower the throttle to idle. I like to lower the throttle to idle then bump it up two clicks and thats is the right speed to land but every time I would move it to idle it would die. I had a blast with this plane when it was in the air and it seemed to fly fine. I just need to figure out the two needles so I can land the plane under power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13479.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	476.3 KB
ID:	476020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93001.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	512.4 KB
ID:	476021  
Old 06-11-2006, 07:12 PM
skiman762

looked nice
I don't know if gas tunes like glow but you might try holding the plane nose up to tune it and see if that helps
Old 06-11-2006, 07:16 PM
jstanton

Zippi,

Way to go. The plane looks and fly's great. You'll get the low end figured out. Did extended the diaphragm low in air hole thru the fuselage. I had to to drill and tap and pressure fitting to it and run some tygon fuel line into the fuselage. This helped my low end to be more stable.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Zippi

Thanks for the kind words Jim. I did tap the plate on the carb and I ran the line into the engine box. I'm just wondering how many dead sticks is in this plane. I plan on taking it back out next week and I'll try again.
ORIGINAL: jstanton

Zippi,

Way to go. The plane looks and fly's great. You'll get the low end figured out. Did extended the diaphragm low in air hole thru the fuselage. I had to to drill and tap and pressure fitting to it and run some tygon fuel line into the fuselage. This helped my low end to be more stable.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Zippi

Thanks for the info skiman762 but gas is a lot different than glow. That's why I'm having a little trouble getting the needles set. The high and low needles are inside the cowl so you cannot adust it while holding the nose up.
ORIGINAL: skiman762

looked nice
I don't know if gas tunes like glow but you might try holding the plane nose up to tune it and see if that helps
Old 06-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Scott Ellingson
My Feedback: (146)

Bob,

Usually if a gas engine dies when going from high rpm to idle it is because the low is lean. You may want to try richening it up a little and setting the idle higher to compensate for the extra fuel to keep the same idle RPM. If the low is too rich it usually takes a little bit of time for it to load up and kill. If it dies right away from high rpm to idle, it is usally too lean.

Scott
Old 06-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Zippi

Thanks Scott, I tried to richen the low end up but maybe I didn't go far enough. I'll give it a shot again next week. Everyone was impressed with this engine except the DA boys and one BME guy.
ORIGINAL: poco242

Bob,

Usually if a gas engine dies when going from high rpm to idle it is because the low is lean. You may want to try richening it up a little and setting the idle higher to compensate for the extra fuel to keep the same idle RPM. If the low is too rich it usually takes a little bit of time for it to load up and kill. If it dies right away from high rpm to idle, it is usally too lean.

Scott
Old 06-11-2006, 08:41 PM
jstanton

The DA and BME guy's will come around once you get the idle working. They will really start believing once you tell them how much you paid for the engine compared to what they paid. I have a DA guy at the field and he said there was no way I could get a gas engine for $155.00 that would fly my Giant Big Stick. Now he has not only seen the 25GT on the Giant Big Stick, but another one on my Giles-202. I am going to be getting a 54cc from Brillelli once it is ready and the DA guy is really interested in seeing if it will perform like his DA50. If it does he said he will buy one for himself.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Zippi

The reports I've been seeing on the DA I think he'll be coming around really soon Jim. If I was more familuar with gas engines I would have had it licked today but......live and learn. I had so many dead sticks today that people were clapping every time I came in . At least I came home in one piece. After flying my gasser today, I now know my winter project is going to be the GP Super Stearman with a Brillelli 40cc/EI

The DA and BME guy's will come around once you get the idle working. They will really start believing once you tell them how much you paid for the engine compared to what they paid. I have a DA guy at the field and he said there was no way I could get a gas engine for $155.00 that would fly my Giant Big Stick. Now he has not only seen the 25GT on the Giant Big Stick, but another one on my Giles-202. I am going to be getting a 54cc from Brillelli once it is ready and the DA guy is really interested in seeing if it will perform like his DA50. If it does he said he will buy one for himself.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:02 PM
jstanton

That sounds like a great combination. I'll like to see the video when you have it done. Right now I am starting to build a 80" Cap 232 I got from Giant Scale Planes. I plan on using the Brillelli 54cc once it is ready. I'll post a build in the ARF section with a link to the gas engine section. Total weight of the Cap will be around 15lbs and the engine should be putting out 25+ lbs of thrust with a 22x8 prop. It should fly real well.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:14 AM
Zippi

That Cap 232 has a nice color combo Jim and you just can't beat the price. After flying the Giles yesterday my Laser is going to collect dust for a while. Yesterday was our annual club picnic and the Giles 202 and the Brillelli engine went over very well. I had a lot of qestions and a lot of comments. Some could not beleive what I paid for the plane or the engine. Looks like some may be switching to gas. Not a lot was said about all of my dead stick landing but more about how nice the plane flew and the sound of the engine. The only thing I don't like about the plane is the covering. It was overcast and ended up raining yesterday and the plane just wrinkled up all over, The right wing panel with the decal really looked bad. I'll hate to see what happens on a hot sunny day [:@].

That sounds like a great combination. I'll like to see the video when you have it done. Right now I am starting to build a 80" Cap 232 I got from Giant Scale Planes. I plan on using the Brillelli 54cc once it is ready. I'll post a build in the ARF section with a link to the gas engine section. Total weight of the Cap will be around 15lbs and the engine should be putting out 25+ lbs of thrust with a 22x8 prop. It should fly real well.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:34 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

Zippi, that was very impressive for first day out, I thought. Seems like every engine has its own personality and takes a while sometimes to get "acquainted" with what it likes and doesn't like. The plane looks great and I just love the sound of the engine. It can't be too far off and I know it will get better and better.

Congratulations!

Larry
Old 06-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Zippi

Thanks ljones5000. Ok guys, I feel like I'm really close on getting this engine to run good. I feel like I have the high end ok with plenty of power in the air but its dieing when I move the stick to idle. Scott said the low end is to lean and I agree with him. My question is, should I just richen up the low end or do I need to lean the high when I richen up the low. this is where I'm having trouble. I'd like to go out next weekend and have some fun with this plane and not worry about dead stick landings. What do you guys think???
Old 06-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Scott Ellingson

Bob,

Just richen up the low until it runs smooth and you get a good transition. You may need to bump the idle up a little. Than go to the high and peak it out. Then back off a little bit, say 200 rpm. A richer low will richen the high. I just got off the phone with Kurt. He has the same engine in his spitfire. He said also that it like to be a little richer on the low or it will kill. I hate to say it, but he has more experience tuning these things than I do. I never get to fly anymore

Scott
Old 06-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Zippi

Thanks Scott. I'll take this info with me to the field next weekend and hope I get it flying better. I just checked and my low end is 2 turns out and the high end is 1 1/4 out.

Bob,

Just richen up the low until it runs smooth and you get a good transition. You may need to bump the idle up a little. Than go to the high and peak it out. Then back off a little bit, say 200 rpm. A richer low will richen the high. I just got off the phone with Kurt. He has the same engine in his spitfire. He said also that it like to be a little richer on the low or it will kill. I hate to say it, but he has more experience tuning these things than I do. I never get to fly anymore

Scott
Old 06-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Scott Ellingson

Bob,

Ok I may have been way off here. 2 turns is very rich. That is were I start them out at. I usually end up at about 1.5 turns on the low and about the same on the high. It sounds like it is rich on the low and lean on the high. Just going by your needle settings here. Back the low to 1.5 and richen the high up some and see what that gets you. From what you were saying it sounded lean, but real rich on the low will do the same thing.

Scott
Old 06-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Zippi

Thanks Scott. You had me a little lost there before you posted this.

Bob,

Ok I may have been way off here. 2 turns is very rich. That is were I start them out at. I usually end up at about 1.5 turns on the low and about the same on the high. It sounds like it is rich on the low and lean on the high. Just going by your needle settings here. Back the low to 1.5 and richen the high up some and see what that gets you. From what you were saying it sounded lean, but real rich on the low will do the same thing.

Scott
Old 06-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Scott Ellingson

Bob,

If you have any questions at the field, give me a call if you have a cell phone. I always have mine on me.

Scott
Old 06-12-2006, 09:40 PM
jstanton

Zippi,

It sounds like you and Scott are getting this thing figured out. Keep use posted on how it goes. I am going to check my settings after reading this.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Scott Ellingson

Jim,

I got the new cylenders today. One 54 and one 60. Man they are sweet. The new version of the 54 has huge transfer ports compared to the old one I have. The 60 is even larger. I can not wait to run one!

Scott

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.