Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Engine for my Sukhoi 26?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 08:50 PM
TCrafty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine for my Sukhoi 26?

I just got a Suhoi 26, that was built from a Goldberg kit. It is already set up with a gas engine, an 18cc Shindawa (?) engine. I haven't weighed the plane yet to see what it tips the scales at but EVERYONE is certain that this engine is too small for the plane. With a 16X8 Zinger prop, it only got 5,900 rpm at wide open. It still has the original muffler restricting it and it would need modification to get it running better. I had thrown around the idea of getting a Saito 125 or 150 but I'm now thinking that sticking with gas might be the best way to go. I've looked at the Zenoah G26 and Jag Engines' Ryobi 31cc conversion engines, GCBMRC's Homelite 25cc and Wackerengines.com's 31cc Ryobi kit. I'm not ready to stand the plane on it's prop but I would like to not have to change the engine when I am ready. I know that there are other considerations like throttle setup with a bellcrank or not, and weight. I'm not sure what the Shindawa engine weighs right now but under the current condition, it might as well be an anchor. I'd like to hear from guys who have used these engines and would really love to hear from someone who has a Sukhoi. Anyone care to chime in? Cost isn't a major factor but what I don't spend on an engine, I can definitely use somewhere else.

thanks in advance!

Old 04-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine for my Sukhoi 26?

I took my Goldberg Sukhoi out a few days ago to fly. I tached my Saito 150 at 9160 rpms with an APC 16/8. The airplane weighs just under 12 lbs (Considered heavy for this airframe) I love the way it flys but when I pointed the nose straight up at full throttle, I did NOT have unlimited vertical. This was at sea level and 75 degrees and low humidity. This may give you an idea on what to expect. Don't know what happened to the photo I uploaded.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:42 AM
TCrafty

Thanks Bass.

Like I said, Saito was being considered for this plane as well. Do you ever feel that you wish you would have put a 180 in it?

Old 04-29-2006, 07:09 AM
Jack Hyde
My Feedback: (1)

A 16x8 prop at 9000 produces about 13 lbs thrust. Not enough to 3d a 12 lb plane.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:43 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Sometime ago bubbagates who posts here regularly put a RCIGN converted G26 in one and was very pleased with it's performance. As I recall it spun a Mejzlic 18x6 @9000, hopefully he will chime in here and give you his thoughts.

Karol
Old 04-29-2006, 09:39 AM
til

i have a cermark sukhoi weighs 12lbs this has a MVVS 26cc gas with tuned pipe and I fly it with a 16 x 10 prop at >9000RPM - your plane sounds pretty similar in weight. This engine will turn a 16 x 8 at near 9800 RPM.

It flies great as a sport flyer plenty of power for sport aerobatics but not 3D.

have to watch the cg though but in my case its tail heavy???

til
Old 04-29-2006, 11:35 AM
TCrafty

Great. Thanks for the responses. I've been looking at many of the engines that have been mentioned and that lets me know that I'm on the right track. Thanks again for the input. Keep em coming!

Andy
Old 04-29-2006, 11:52 AM
easton24

I have a g 26 on mine. It is still breaking in but turns a 18x6 wide apc 8400 rpm. It flies great.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Bass1

After experimenting with the vertical performance the other day, I did think about the 180. The airplane as it stands with the 150 is a great flyer and is fun for basic Imac etc. Rolling circles are almost effortless. As far as 3d, If I could do it over I would try to shave about 3 lbs off the airframe and use the 180. Although the manual strongly cautions against using anything over a 120. Probably just protecting their *****. It's been awhile since I built the airplane but I seem to remember people saying the 180 had a vibration problem so that is probably why I chose the 150. Oh, the airplane will hover, just do it at a safe altitude because mine sort of falls out instead of pulling out![sm=surprised.gif]
Old 04-29-2006, 03:38 PM
easton24

YUP FIRST FLEW MY GB SUKOI WITH A OS 120. I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY RECOMMEND A 120, IT WAS ANEMIC. I THEN TRIED A 150 SAITO WHICH IT FLEW BETTER IF YOU USED 30% NITRO FUEL. BUT IT ALSO HAD A PRETTY BAD VIBRATION PROBLEM AT IDLE. AND GOT TIRED OF BUYING 30%. NOW I HAVE A G26 ON IT (3RD ENGINE), ENDED UP HAVING TO GET A NEW COWL. $60 BUCKS OUCH. THE PLANE FLIES GREAT AND THE AIRFRAME SEEMS TO TAKE THE ENGINE WELL. I CAN ALSO FLY ALL DAY ON LESS THAN $2.00. JUST MAKE SURE YOU GLASS THE FIREWALL TO THE FUSELAGE. I HAD IT COMEAPART ON ME WHEN I HAD THE 150 ON IT. NOW IT IS ROCKSOLID.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:28 PM
TCrafty

I'm encouraged by the number of folks here who are using gas engines. I have a Saito on my other plane and love it but would like to stick with Gas on this one because it's already got one (albeit a small one) on it and everything is set up for gas.

Easton, I was also thinking that I'd need to get a new cowl since this one has been cut up for a different engine.

thanks all for the info!

Andy
Old 04-30-2006, 10:14 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Is is quite possible that the gas engine that you have in your model it overweight for it's size and also a bit low on power. I have a RCIGN converted G23 in my Goldberg Extra 300 and at 10.1 lbs with an APC 17x6 @ 9,000 it flies great.

I would certaintly encourage you to stay with a gas engine in your model as there are now several reasonable priced, lightweight, powerful and cheap to run gas engines in the 26 range that would work very nicely with your model.

A RCIGN converted G26 / Abel muffler combo turns a Majzlic 18x6 @ 9,000 and with 17+ lbs of thrust, would really make your plane come alive. Take the plunge and go for it....gas is the way to go.

Karol
Old 04-30-2006, 09:53 PM
TCrafty

Still checkin' in! I've been burning up my modem, looking at as many websites as possible, checking into gas engines and stuff. I've checked everything between a GCBMRC 25cc conversion to a Brison 2.4. The Brison is about 200 dollars more than the GCBMRC 25cc and about 1 1/4 lbs lighter than the GCBMRC engine. I was thinking of buying the Brison 2.4, using it in the Sikhoi and eventually, replacing the plane with a Stinson Reliant SR-9. On the other hand, I'm seeing that many of you are using 25-26cc engines in your planes and enjoying them. There are a bunch of power-hungry fliers at my field and they're suggesting bigger, Bigger, BIGGER! If I got a 25cc from GCBMRC or a Zenoah G26 and would be happy with it in my Sukhoi, I could then go ahead and get ANOTHER engine for the STinson later on and still have two flyable planes. I don't want to throw away good money but doing it right the first time is always the least expensive in the long run. Sorry if I keep going on and on. Just trying to pick the brains of those who have been there and done that. Thanks a lot for the input.

Andy
Old 04-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Bass1

TCrafty, Just to let you know, My Sukhoi with the Saito 150 at just about 12lbs does NOT land like a trainer. It requires a good amount of speed on final to keep it from stalling. I have almost lost it several times getting too slow at touch down. In fact, when there is no headwind(calm conditions or direct crosswind) the ground speed can get quite brisk easily using up most of the runway. On the other hand, there is a guy that has a very lightly built version( slighly under 10lbs) with a YS 120 and it lands like a trainer(super slow) and just plain flys better. So it's a fine line between silly power with added weight and optimal wing loading(949sq.in wing area). If I had to choose, I would pick the lighter wing loading. But that's just my oppinion and my flame suit is on and in good condition!
Old 05-01-2006, 04:06 PM
TCrafty

I can appreciate your input Bass1. My dad built the plane and had it ready to fly but never flew it. I basically inherited it from him. The good thing is it was already assembled but on the bad side, I can't build it any lighter. I'm trying to find that line that you speak of between power and ease of flight. He said he had to put a little wieght in the rear of the plane to balance it out so I'm trying to find a lighter engine than the 18cc Shindaiwa (haven't weighed it yet though) and more power. The 18cc wouldn't spin the 16X8 prop over 5,900 rpm but I think that was more to do with the engine than the actual cc. The Brison 2.4 is the lightest so far for the engine but until you put the muffler and the battery for the ignition on it, the wieght could be the same. I've had folks at the field tell me a G-38 or a G-26 Zenoah and I've even looked at a Homelite 25cc. Don't want to beat a dead horse here but I've not made up my mind yet. I really do appreciate everyone's input and now I've just got to filter it through, do some wieghing and make a decision. Hopefully a fully informed one. Thanks again to all.

Andy