Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA50 Popping

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Jerkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA50 Popping

I have a not yet broken in DA50 on my extreme flight yak. I recently sent my ignition for repair to Desert Aircraft beause my cowl had cut into the braided shielding. They fixed it and sent it back to me. I had talked to the guy and he stated it tested fine. Now I'm getting a popping (missing) sound while flying the plane. It is worse at midrange and is less frequent at full throttle but is still there. Does it sound like it is the ignition for sure?

Thanks,

Mike
[/b]
Old 05-07-2006, 01:42 PM
shakes268

Default RE: DA50 Popping

Sounds like a rich low end.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Did you adjust both needles?
Old 05-07-2006, 03:07 PM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

If you are breaking in you engine you want it a little rich .
Lean the low end till it balks or wont accelerate then richen it till it stops that.
Lean the top end till you get max r.p.m. then richen it till the r.p.m. decreases 200 rpm.
Check your spark plug it should be a dark tan.[8D]

Larry S.

ORIGINAL: Jerkey

I have a not yet broken in DA50 on my extreme flight yak. I recently sent my ignition for repair to Desert Aircraft beause my cowl had cut into the braided shielding. They fixed it and sent it back to me. I had talked to the guy and he stated it tested fine. Now I'm getting a popping (missing) sound while flying the plane. It is worse at midrange and is less frequent at full throttle but is still there. Does it sound like it is the ignition for sure?

Thanks,

Mike
[/b]
Old 05-07-2006, 04:46 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep.

ORIGINAL: shakes268

Sounds like a rich low end.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:39 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

Just sounds like you have a new DA. The popping will go away as it breaks-in. The engine should never quit even it doesn't sound smooth.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:41 AM
Snyper68
My Feedback: (73)

))) HELP!!! (((
I have a DA-50 # 0576 I have it on a 1/4 scale Patty Wagstaff. Engine will run for a little bit in the air flawless but then starts loading up, almost like Im gunning the throttle up and down. but will stop when I throttle down.it never dies and idles perfect. But like I said at full throttle it just revs up and down til I throttle back. I sent to DA and they replaced the carb and said that was the problem. Well put it back on and its still doing it. Starts easy runs great on ground until full throttle in air and its doing the same thing. I wonder if its air flow in cowl??? Please somebody help. I have my first bigbird next weekend!!!!!
Old 05-14-2006, 05:29 AM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Try to fly the plane without the cowl. Does the symptom go away?

Elson
Old 05-14-2006, 08:34 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the engine is either overheating or starved from gas. Try to rich the high-end out 1/8-1/4 turn. What is the mixture of the gas?

Something else to check:

. ignition battery's capacity is OK and the battery is fully charged (e.g., cycle it once or two)
. no leaking in fuel line and the carb screws are tight
. in-line filter and the mesh inside the carb are clear of any debris

--qc
Old 05-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Snyper68

thanks for replys. I am using amsoil 100:1
Ignition batt good no inline filter use filter in pump.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:17 AM
George E.

Also, check for bubbles in the fuel line. Maybe a small pin-hole in the fuel line? Maybe a hole in the fuel pick-up line, or loose fit on the tubing. When you get below a half tank you start sucking some air.

Try one variable at a time until you find it. Try the simple stuff first.

Fly without the cowl to rule that out first. Watch the CG.
Try adjusting the mixture.
Then replace all the lines to rule that out.

you'll find it.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Snyper68

OK guys Ive done some testing and almost lost a finger or two..lol!

I pulled gas tank and checked and replaced lines, I found the feed line to carb from tank was a lil loose on the brass tubing, so I put an extra tie wrap and it seemed to eliminate the bubbled I was getting in the line. so went back to the field and did a test flight while on the phone with DA. Well guess what......it started its dreadful loading up popping or what ever you wanna call it. To me its almost like I'm goosing the throttle. But anywho Brian from Da seems to think now that he heard it for himself that it could be ignition related and is overnighting me a new one. !QUOT! MAN DA IS GREAT FOR SERVICE!QUOT! Unbeatable.

Now like Paul Harvey would put it the rest of the story. I landed plane and took a leak, then I went to start the plane again to just see if it would start easy. Well it did! BUT BACK WARDS. Instead of hitting the kill switch my reflexes told me to grab the plane as it was going back wards of of a 3ft high table, tried to reach over the prop and grab it by the canopy and hit the prop, or should I say the prop hit me..... a few times before actually breaking the tip off the prop along with taking some of my skin and leaving two deep gashes in my right hand 4th and 5th digit. So called the wife and said I was on my way home get ready for the emergency room. Ended up with 4 stitches in my 4th and 2 in the 5th..not to bad. Only thing that makes me mad about the whole thing,...is that now I gotta buy another 25 dollar prop. I will let you guys know what happens with new ignition. Thx alot for responses.

P.S. emergency room visit 50 bux
Prop 25 bux
This incident costing me 75 bux
Wife not happy!!
Old 05-16-2006, 12:48 PM
George E.

Keep us posted and let us know when you figure it out. Luckily your thumb and first finger are still working fine
Old 05-16-2006, 06:21 PM
nonstoprc

Sorry to hear about the accident and thanks for sharing it with us. Hope the recovery is speedy. You are not going to give it up, right?

Old 10-19-2006, 08:55 PM
VanWidick
My Feedback: (22)

Your wife would of been really mad if it was your middle finger!

[:@]

Hope you get better.

Van.
watchrcvideos.com
Old 10-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

SNYPER68:

It's too lean on the high end.

This is classic gas engine sign of a lean high speed needle. They surge up and down real quick at high speed. Up and down and back up again in about 1 second.

WHAAAAAAA---whoooooo--WHAAAAAAA--whooooo all in the course of 1 second. Up and down real fast.

It's lean. Fatten the high speed needle about 1/4 turn and start over with your needle adjustments.

Remember:
Gas engines don't react to needle adjustments instantly, like a glow engine will. Adjust it a little and then wait 5 or 10 seconds.

With a glow engine--every click on the needle valve and you'll hear a very noticable difference right away. Real Time.

With a gasser, it takes a few seconds for the adjustments to have an effect. Just do a small adjustment and wait. Cycle the throttle a few times after each adjustment. If your inexperienced with gassers--a tach is your friend untill you get used to them.

I tune them buy ear, but I've always been a gearhead. Been playing with motors since I was a little kid.

Next time have a helper hold the plane for you or strap it down. Your lucky you didn't loose a finger or cut your forearm wide open and whack up a bunch of tendons and muscle tissue. Your lucky you can even type. Not trying to be a jerk, but I hope you learned something. Too bad you learned it the hard way.

Use a glove and don't reach over the prop for anything. Thats RC Engines 101 that you should have learned in ground school back when you had your first trainer.

Why didn't you just hit the KILL SWITCH when the engine started backwards and the plane started to back away from you? You DO have a KILL SWITCH that operated with the TX, don't you? Thats BASIC GIANT SCALE GAS ENGINE 101. You got a lawnmower blade on the front of something, turning 7000RPM and it's capable of cutting your arm off--you install a kill switch.

You should be able to pull the throttle and trim all the way down and kill the engine. An engine without fuel and air will die. You should ALWAYS set up your throttle linkage so that with throttle down and trim down it shuts off the carb. No air--no fuel--no run. Thats RC Engine 101 that you should have also learned in ground school. Thats basic linkage setup and basic safety.

What are you doing putting a 50cc plane on a bench? They are too big to be putting on a table. Set it up and leave it on the ground.

I'm disabled. I got 4 titanium screws and 2 titanium linkage rods in my back. My L5--S1 disk is gone. L5--S1 fusion and disk removed. They just did that to me in July of this year. I'm not even healed up yet. If I can manage to get down on one knee in front of the plane and start it on the ground--so can you.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:24 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Hey Jerkey, call me I got the 62 running. No midrange popping![sm=lol.gif]
Old 10-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

WHAAAAAAA---whoooooo--WHAAAAAAA--whooooo
Is that a technical term!!

That is pretty much what it sounds like too!!
Old 10-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

WHAAAAAAA---whoooooo--WHAAAAAAA--whooooo
Is that a technical term!!

That is pretty much what it sounds like too!!

I'm trying to get a patent on it.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:45 PM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

Boy, I wouldn't want Rcpilet on my case, his bedside manner is sort of, well...brutal. He is not one to mince words. But I have read many of his posts over the past year or so and I have to admit, he knows his stuff and he gets right to the point. One would do well to heed his advice.

I was amused though, thinking about my first plane/engine about 30 years ago. It was a OS 40 glow on a trainer I built that looked awful and after flipping for about an hour on my deck, it finally roared to life. The first thing I did was to reach over the prop to adjust the needle and the second thing I did was to head for the urgent care center for some stitches. Since then, I have been careful to NEVER reach over the prop, especially with the 100cc engines I run now with 27 inch props.

Funny.

Larry
Old 10-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Rcpilot

ORIGINAL ljones5000:

Boy, I wouldn't want Rcpilet on my case, his bedside manner is sort of, well...brutal. He is not one to mince words. But I have read many of his posts over the past year or so and I have to admit, he knows his stuff and he gets right to the point. One would do well to heed his advice.
I am really a nice guy, honest.

I do feel sorry for the guy, and I am very, very happy that he's still typing and flying. I hope his doctor gave him a script for some vicodin--he probably needs it right now.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:40 PM
nonstoprc

Rcpilet,

maybe you can upload a recording of "WHAAAAAAA---whoooooo--WHAAAAAAA--whooooo"? Some of us may not lnow what it sounds lke :-).

--qc