Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W Not Starting!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 04:16 PM
ICE_MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W Not Starting!

Hey guys, installed the ign., battery, and switch today for my 3W 106 CS.. Seeing as how this finishes the plane completely, I wen out to fire it up.. I watched the gas gor into the carb. put the choke on and flipped til my arm was going to fall off, then my dad tried. No dice. When I came back in I hooked up the little LED to the short blak/red wire coming out of the ignition, It didn't light. I'm sure my battery is charged, the switch was on.. What am I missing?
Old 06-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: 3W Not Starting!

The LED is connected back wards. Swap the leads. I'm betting that the other reason that you couldn't get it started is that it was flooded. Pull the plugs and see if they are wet. Dry them off, lean it out on the low end just a little (1/8th of a turn) and try again. If you think you may have flooded the engine again, there is no need to pull the plugs. MAKE SURE the ignition is OFF, choke open and throttle full open. Flip the prop 4 or 5 times, close the throttle, no choke, ignition on, try again. I have had three new 3W's. They can be hard to start the first time. Be careful out there........
Old 06-03-2006, 08:44 PM
ICE_MAN

Woops

Afteer I posted this, I went outside tore the whole ignition out. I hooked up the LED both ways to the battery, no dice.. Hooked it up to a few other batteries nothing. So I just reinstalled everything.. Gave her some choke, and some throttle and in 3 flips she popped. Choke off, 2 flips and she's purring like a kitten. I stil have that silly grin of my first gasser start-up. Kinda like your first maiden! I don't know what was wrong the first time.

Dan, thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind next time!
Old 06-03-2006, 08:45 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Also, if you turn on the ignition switch and do no not start cranking the motor in 17 seconds, the ignition is dead, and you will have to recycle the switch to activate it again, also as a safety measure once you turn on the switch you do not get fire on the first flip. If I cant get mine started, I just recycle the ignition switch and that usually does it.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

ICE_MAN,

When's the maiden???
Old 06-03-2006, 09:17 PM
ICE_MAN

I don't know Frank,

Can't seem to get ahold of Randy and everytime I move my rudder around with the servo the wires loosen up.. All That it needs is CG. When you oming to town to watch the maiden?
Old 06-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

Let me know when it is and I'll try to be there.

Sending pm..........