Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W 85B2 Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:54 AM
AHPowelson
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W 85B2 Feedback?

I recently bought a RTF H9 33% Cap with a 3W 85B2 with smoke mufflers in it. I don’t know the engine’s history as far as run time, but it appeared to be broken in, at least. I will most likely be selling it as I’d like a more power and less weight up front. This is only my 2nd gasser (DA50, prior) and I wanted to get a little feedback on it.

So far I’ve got about 2 gallons of Amsoil 50:1 ran through it. It’s consistently turning an NX 26x10 at 5900RPM. It idles well, transitions quickly. I have found the carb needles to be very sensitive compared to the DA. It doesn’t like to be run rich in the low to midrange at all. I’ve also found that if it’s slightly rich in the low to midrange, it goes VERY rich in knife edge. With the low to midrange properly leaned it doesn’t run any differently in any attitude. It does have the carb diaphragm line run into the fuse. The engine has monster compression so I’m wondering if I should use 93 octane? I’m currently running 87 as that’s what my DA was most happy on. I’m also considering a 26x8 prop to get the revs up a little for more thrust. It has the blue dot ignition; I’m guessing this is the older version that requires lower voltage? I’m currently running a 2 cell 2800Mah Li Ion with the reg set to 5.2 volts.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:38 PM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Default RE: 3W 85B2 Feedback?

Hi,

The minium octane for a 3W is 88. I always run 92 octane in my fleet of engines. You will pick up 2-300 rpms with a higher octane fuel. I have a couple of 85s and they are a sweet running engine. You have the old style ignition which can be run at 6 volts (blue dot). I always run those ignitions on a 4 cell nicad. If you increase the octane, the needle settings should become less sensitive (my experience). I have found the new 3W-106s more powerful, lighter, and a lot more problematic then the older 3W-100s and the 85.

Elson
Old 07-06-2006, 09:23 PM
wingburner
My Feedback: (17)

3Ws are great engines....Get your self a prop that will turn into at least 6500 or more...Maybe a 26\8 or 25\10 or even a 24\10 depending on which brand of prop you use.....Mejzlik and the new PT Model props probably turn the easiest and have absolute awesome performance...Biela props are harder to turn...Menz wood are a little harder to turn than the carbons (probably lose 3-400 rpm over the carbons) but perform very well.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:53 AM
AHPowelson
My Feedback: (37)

Thanks for the info, guys! I was going to order a PT 26x8 but they're out of stock at TBM. I'll try premium gas this weekend. [8D]