Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA service is hard to beat!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 05:19 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA service is hard to beat!

I bought a used DA 50 (#0725 an oldie) that developed a loud knocking after 10 gallons. I sent the motor back with a note explaining the problem and stating the engine was bought used. One week later I had a TOTALLY rebuilt DA 50 on my front porch. The only thing left from the old engine was the carb, crank case, and prop hub; the rest was brand new. NO CHARGE. DA has had their share of problems since these are purpose built engines but all you can ask for is a company that stands behind their product.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:31 PM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: DA service is hard to beat!

I know aint that great.

I am watching you
Larry
Old 07-16-2006, 09:21 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

IMO they are the best in the business! Feel great to be treated right don't it!?!

Joe
Old 07-16-2006, 09:41 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I'll bet you won't hesitate to buy another!
Old 07-17-2006, 09:21 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

I know I won't hesitate, I had similar dealings,,, A++++++
Old 07-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Flyin Woodbutcher
My Feedback: (3)

thats good to know . I have # 061 it has been knocking for a year but still runs great.

Kent
ORIGINAL: George E.

I bought a used DA 50 (#0725 an oldie) that developed a loud knocking after 10 gallons. I sent the motor back with a note explaining the problem and stating the engine was bought used. One week later I had a TOTALLY rebuilt DA 50 on my front porch. The only thing left from the old engine was the carb, crank case, and prop hub; the rest was brand new. NO CHARGE. DA has had their share of problems since these are purpose built engines but all you can ask for is a company that stands behind their product.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:04 PM
GaryM
My Feedback: (14)

I have DA 50 serial #15, purchased January of 2003. A year or so back I sent it it in and got a total rebuild under warranty. Then about a month later they came out with the phenolic block mod for relocating the pulse line and more updates. I didnt send it back as it was running OK. About three weeks ago it started knocking again. By now this is a 3 1/2 year old engine that has had a lot of gas through it. When I took it out of the plane I also found one of the mounting lugs had broke off. I sent it in fully expecting to at least to be charged for a new case due to the broken lug. Nothing doing, NO CHARGE, NOTHING, NADA, ZIPPO. Everything new except for the carb and front half of the case.

And this is why I continue to buy DA products like the two DA 100s in my 33% planes.

Oh, I forgot to mention. They received the motor on a Friday afternoon and it shipped out the following Tuesday. Without a doubt the best service you could ever ask for in our hobby.

GaryM
Old 07-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a fact the service would be damn hard to beat!! Nice to hear that someone cares that much about their customers.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:22 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Yep...I had a very similar experience.

DA Engines Rock!

They are on my Christmas list for sure. Never have I ever contemplated sending a manufacture a gift before but they have changed my outlook and restored my faith in the hobby as a whole. Thanks DA!

I only have two of their engines now but more are planned in the future.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:20 AM
George E.

I bought another DA50 because their customer service is so good [8D]
Old 07-19-2006, 07:25 AM
PlaneKrazee

Now if they only sold BME
Old 07-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Flyin Woodbutcher
My Feedback: (3)

watch yo mouth
Old 07-19-2006, 07:40 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

[X(]
Old 07-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Tired Old Man

Then again, if BME would sell BME....
Old 07-19-2006, 09:17 PM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Guys,

The thing that puzzles me is that the DA 50 seems to have so many internal problems with component failure. When I was in the market a couple of years ago for a dozen 50 cc engines, DA was immediately off the list because of all of the bearing and connecting rod problems. I glad DA has great service for those of you who have purchased engines with problems. Some of us cannot tolerate engine failures due to poor design or material choice. In my book, DA and ZDZ have basic design problems which result in component failure after moderate use. Too bad. Enjoy your DAs and keep sending them back for that good service.

Cheers Elson
Old 07-19-2006, 09:55 PM
PlaneKrazee

Double post, Sorry.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:56 PM
PlaneKrazee

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Then again, if BME would sell BME....

RC Bugman,

It would be great if you could use a BME 50 (Echo chain saw engine) in one of your test aircraft to see if you could wear it out.

The DA 100 is a winner, their best engine by far.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:17 PM
rmh

Elson--have you finally found an engine for your industrial applications?
Old 07-19-2006, 11:18 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah because with an industrial application it doesn't matter if it's a pound heavier.

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

Elson--have you finally found an engine for your industrial applications?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:55 AM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Dick,

So far the 3w-50 is holding up very well under hard service. Oil mix is 40:1. There have been no wrist pin bearings problems, overheating issues under more severe operating conditions than the ZDZ 40s were exposed to. Nearly all of the 13 ZDZ-40 had component failure from overheating with 40:1 oil.

Two of the 3W-50 had the front bearing start leaking 2-stroke oil. The factory probably skimpped on loctite during assembly.

I am amazed that the DA 50 still sells with all of its design/component failure. I wonder if there is any correlation between component failure in that engine and individuals who run 100:1 oil mix.

I laugh at all of the comments about "the extra lb". That extra lb equals around 1 oz per sq ft wing loading. If you can tell the difference, then you are a hell of a lot better pilot than I am. My issue is that most of my "industrial planes" have wing loadings of 50-80 oz/square ft so when I fly my 22 lb wildhare ultimate, it is like flying a feather.

Keep buying those DA 50s and soon Dave will have all of the bugs worked out.

Cheers Elson
Old 07-20-2006, 06:28 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: rc bugman

Keep buying those DA 50s and soon Dave will have all of the bugs worked out.
They already have worked them out [8D]
Old 07-20-2006, 10:17 AM
Tired Old Man

Before you start to read this, please note that I'm being very careful not to be specific with regard to any brand names to avoid the usual brand loyalty war that certain to follow.

I'm with Elson on this one. Although the application his engines are used in has just been called "industrial" it's still a form of model aviation. Same thing with small UAV's. It's model aviation on a grander and technologically superior scale. Look through some of the magazines and with a little thought you may be able to see where the kind of work RCBugman and others is doing is beginning to trickle down to the sport modeler. Think battery and regulator technology, auto pilots, and in flight cameras for a quick 4 items.

In both cases engine reliability is critical. Sending up an aircraft where the engine may stop or break in the middle of a flight is senseless, and can often be dangerous, which is why companies involved in this type of work and experimentation will not use an engine that does not have superior reliability. The search for the perfect engine is still underway but I don't see that goal attained soon. At least with the smaller sizes we are using in R/C.

As to the weight thing, if the aircraft is properly balanced and can carry the load, all it needs is enough runway to gain effective flight speed and then maintain it. Truth be told, some don't even require a runway to do the same thing. In either case you don't want an engine or carb that you can't depend on. Sending them back for repair, even if the service is excellent, is a moot point after an aircraft with a value of $100k or so hits the dirt and shuts down operations for a day or two. Ever try retrieving your aircraft after it crash lands 50 plus miles away? It's my thoughts that a good customer service department is a great thing. Better still would be to have no need of fast customer service because of better reliability.

I'm another that is just a little curious about what the long term effects of a 100-1 oil mix is having on bearings. Actually not curious at all. I know what effect it's having. There's usually a lot of discussion on this subject along with the so called "best" oil manufacturers and brands. The only true experimentation that I have seen done in this area has been performed by those companies involved in the so called "industrial application" of these engines. Engines that work, and do so under heavy load conditions where the oil and mix ratios are tested to the limits. Which test bed is superior, one that runs long and hard or one that runs for very brief periods under light loads?

There are still a lot of arguements brought forth by those that fly light duty aircraft about how superior their oil and mix ratios are. Fact is, the only information they have to go with comes from the oil or engine manufacturer. One is selling the product, the other is getting the information from the oil manufacturer. The "fat" break in ratios are another matter entirely and tell a story in their own right. If it won't run on day one like it will after 100 hours send it back.

There's a lot of research that's been going on for a long time and and even greater amount of reliable information that's been gained about R/C engines, ignitions, oils, and other sub-systems. People would benefit greatly by learning from that information rather than relying on sponsorship hype. You have to wonder...if you're being paid by a company, any company, to use their product, just how great do you think you're going to say it is?...
Old 07-20-2006, 11:15 AM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

I have seen them all fail,break,stop running.There is no perfect engine.But when they do fail I want to get it repaired and back to me ASAP.DA does this with no questions asked.I also question this 100/1 oil thinking.Dick H has commented on this and like him all I run is 32/1 in my gasser's.Up here at 5000 ft we run em hard and my DA 50 at 10 gallons is stronger every gallon.Heck my 10 year old weed wacker with the original plug stills runs strong with 32/1 and that poor thing runs in dust,dirt and heat.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I agree about the 100:1 mix..when I was using Amsoil I mixed it at 80:1..now Im using Bel Ray H1R at 50:1 and like it better.

ORIGINAL: edgeman55-RCU

I have seen them all fail,break,stop running.There is no perfect engine.
Exactly
Old 07-20-2006, 01:12 PM
George E.

The DA was purpose built and has no long-term history. As problems surface DA is making them right by updating bearings, cranks etc. The bugs are probably all worked out now, no different than when a car company puts out a new model and has some recalls.

Nothing wrong with BME either. My friend has a BME 50 and a DA50. The BME runs just as well as the DA and is based on a proven design.

The main reason you hear more good and bad about DA is there are just more DA's out there being flown hard then the others. More chances for people to have good and bad experiences, more threads, more talk.

I started the thread because I was so impressed with the DA service. We don't need to have another DA vs ......... thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.