Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

FPE 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 11:17 PM
bsheridan2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FPE 3.2

I'm considering buying one of these engines. Are they any good? I'm new to gas and I need a 50cc powerplant.
Thanks
Old 08-05-2006, 11:29 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FPE 3.2

They are a bit on the heavy side

I'd look into a ZDZ50, Da50, 3W50 or even the new 3W 55i and the Brison 3.2 I have all of these and love them all with the DA and ZDZ being broken in a well running. I can't say much about the 3w engines as they are still going through the breakin process but so far they have also been very reliable. The FPE3.2 I had was nothing but problems and spent loads of time back at the manufacturer and it got to the point that I did not trust it so it's sitting out on the workshop.

ZDZ can be found at the following link.

http://www.rcshowcase.com/

I get my Da engine from Troy Built Models though you can get them right from Desert Aircraft

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/

http://www.desertaircraft.com

I get my 3W engines from Aircraft International

http://www.aircraftinternational.com/

All three have been excellent for customer service

Old 08-05-2006, 11:51 PM
bsheridan2002

Thanks Bubba. was your fpe an older one? do you know if your poor experience was typical?
Old 08-06-2006, 06:33 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

I have a FPE 3.2 on a SIG Sundancer biplane and it is a really, really good engine. It starts easily, runs great at all speeds, instant transtion, steady idle, etc. I run a Bolly wood 22X8 prop and it's been a while since I tached it but my recollection is that it turns about 6700rpm...that might not be the right number as I pay more attention to how it flys my plane than rpm. It flys the crap out of my Sundancer.

The only problem I had was when it was new it took a while to break-in and it sputtered and popped some, as in rich. After breaking in, it never misses a beat.

Larry
Old 08-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ljones5000 Do a search on the "Taurus" line of engines. They are without a doubt the most respected engine on the market. And......They are Peerless, in the 50cc market. Or, consider a getting one of Ralph Cunninghams, "Super lite" Zenoah, G62's. I have one and I'd put it up against any other engine in it's class. Bob
Old 08-06-2006, 11:19 AM
rcbill
My Feedback: (1)

I have the FPE 3.2 engine. It's a very good engine although the DA 50 spools up faster.......Bill
Old 08-06-2006, 10:50 PM
excaliber

bsheridan2002. echo b. laine's comment about the Taurus. you might pay a few bucks more, but its worth it for the quality and performance.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:23 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Bob Laine

ljones5000 Do a search on the "Taurus" line of engines. They are without a doubt the most respected engine on the market. And......They are Peerless, in the 50cc market. Or, consider a getting one of Ralph Cunninghams, "Super lite" Zenoah, G62's. I have one and I'd put it up against any other engine in it's class. Bob
I already own the FPE and was only answering bsheridan2002 who asked about the FPE. Bob, have you ever owned a FPE? From your comment I guess you've owned both. Mine runs good but I have never put it in competition with any other.

I have long admired the Taurus simply from reading the forum and many good comments but I have never seen one. If anyone at our field has one, i'm not aware. If I needed a 3.2, I'd certainly consider a Taurus.

Larry
Old 08-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ljones5000....In all honesty I have to admit that the "First Place," engine is the only engine I've never owned. However I have seen others use them at different flying fields, and they all seemed to run OK, and I've never heard any negative comments about them. Bob
Old 08-07-2006, 06:11 PM
bsheridan2002

Thanks for the info. I have a chance to buy one at $350. I need a 50 for a biplane project. plane should be about 16 lbs. I like to dabble in 3d but I'm not hard core (if I was, I think i would pay the extra money for a DA.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I could be wrong, but I thought the FPE 3.2, Brison 3.2 and Fox 3.2 were all the same cylinder and piston from a Sachs based engine.

?? [:-]

They should all run about the same. Cantilever crankshaft. Machined aluminum crankcase. Sachs cylinder, rod, and piston. Walbro carb. Run it with 40:1 fuel for 5 or 6 gallons and then switch to synthetic if you think it's necessary. I don't run synthetics. I just run them on 40:1 untill I crash them. But, just do whatever you feel confortable with.

So, are they all Sachs based jugs and pistons--or does Brison, Fox and FPE all make their own cylinders that are unique to their engine?

I have a Fox 3.2 and a friend has the FPE 3.2 They look darn near identical. I'd almost swear the cylinders were identical. Just some slight differences in the crankcase machining.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Look on the base of the cylinder, a Sachs will have ZN44 something cast into it..I think the FPE is a Husqvarna.
Cantilever crank engines don't use chainsaw rods. The rod is sold as part of the crank. It would be too expensive to take a high dollar chainsaw crank apart just to get the rod and bearing...
DA and A&M found this out the hard way...