Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W75US fuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:15 PM
OTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W75US fuel problems

I finally got to the point to where I was ready to fire it up my 3W75US for the first time this morning, but I couldn't get it to fire. No matter how often I flipped the prop, no fuel was reaching the carb.

At first I thought that it was a fuel line problem, but since I'm able to pump fuel into and back out of the tank with no problems, I believe that the fuel line system is properly set up. I even made extra sure that I had the fuel filter properly oriented, but when I flip the prop, no fuel is drawn through the lines into the carb, leading me to think that it's a carb related problem. Anyone have any ideas?

T.I.A.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:06 PM
BullardRM
My Feedback: (39)

Default RE: 3W75US fuel problems

Had the exact same problem with my 3W75i. It was always hard to start, and took 20 to 25 flips to get the fuel up to the engine. 15 to 20 flips if it had been flown within the hour. Finally would not draw fuel at all. Replace the reeds, as suggested by Aircraft Internationa. Still no good. Tried everything--and I do mean EVERTHING that I could think of, and all of the suggestions from RCU response to my posting. After six weeks of trying, I just gave up and sent it into Cactus. They "shaved the reeds and sealed the carb block"---$85. They did NOT test run the engine, but did state it "draws fuel like mad". It is still in the box, and expect to test run it soon. I really feel the problem exist in the fanalic block leaking the air pulse that drives the carb pump. Cactus uses a red sealing material between the carkcase, block and cark. I'll let you know how mine does in a few weeks---please do the same for me.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:23 PM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Is this a new engine or a used engine? After my engines sit the winter, I often have to squirt a little fuel into the cylinder to get the engine to run on the prime. When the engine runs, the carb pump is filled and then there is no more problems for the season.

Elson
Old 09-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

If you're using an in-line fuel filter, please do yourself a favor and remove it. Two piece in-line filters (the kind that can be taken apart and cleaned) have a tendency to have air leaks. It makes the engine hard to start, and may cause a dead stick. Filter your fuel as you put it in the tank using a lawnmower type fuel filter. AI doesn't recommend them. I'll post pic's if you need them.

Dan
Old 09-16-2006, 08:05 PM
OTT

This is a brand new engine. It's a little disheartening to hear that BullardRM had to resort to having work done on his engine. Funny that Dan767 mentions the fuel filter. I had noticed that fuel seemed to reach the filter, but didn't want to draw past it, but I didn't take the now obvious step of bypassing the filter. I'll definitely give it a try in the morning! Thanks everyone!
Old 09-17-2006, 12:28 PM
OTT

Wow! I removed the in-line fuel filter as Dan767 had suggested, and that did it! It fired on the 4th or 5th flip, and although it was reluctant to continue to run, a little perseverance and it was running like a top. Thanks to everyone for their input, it really saved the day!