Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

engine cutting out on KE, invert, etc.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

engine cutting out on KE, invert, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 04:40 PM
OTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine cutting out on KE, invert, etc.

Got my plane up in the air again after some minor mods to the fuel system. I replaced the clunk with a filtered clunk and removed the inline filter. Now the engine acts like it's starving for fuel immediately every time I fly knife edge, inverted, etc.

The engine is a 3W75, and while I doing the mods, I went ahead and routed some fuel line from the diaphram nipple into the engine box to try to even out the air impulses to the diaphram. It was running somewhat erratic before, but I am now certain that it's because I hadn't properly tuned the needles. But it never shut down each and every time I tried to perform anything that wasn't flat flight.

It sounds like I've answered my own question since this condition appeared since I changed clunks, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what would cause such an immediate and repeatable symptom. The engine never died on me, but wouldn't recover until I resumed level flight.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:29 AM
Crusty

Default RE: engine cutting out on KE, invert, etc.

Clunk trapped in place??
Old 10-02-2006, 08:41 AM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Im having similar problems with a 3w 120. I found a small screen in the carb badly gunked up. I havnt tried flying yet with the screen cleaned. I notice you said you removed and inline filter. I just installed an inline filter on my engine. Is having a filter installed a bad idea. My clunk is not filtered.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having an inline filter will usually not be a problem and instead be a good thing.

For a filtered clunk go down to the local saw and mower shop and obtain one of the Walbro filters/fuel pick ups. They look like a giant clunk with a felt filter "clipped" over the bottom. They are larger and heavier than a standard clunk and work very well in maintaing the clunk at the rear of the tank. They also have the nice ability to suck up every last drop of gas without providing air bubbles at the same time.