Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah G-38 G380PU

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 12:23 PM
gregplv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah G-38 G380PU

I bought a Zenoah G-38 at a flea market for less than half price. The engine was never run. I am thinking of putting it in a plane and found that there is a shaft coming out of the rear of the engine. What is the purpose? Is this an aircraft engine? Is there a way to remove the shaft?
Old 10-09-2006, 01:17 PM
danny03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah G-38 G380PU

Some people you that shat to attach a spring starter or even an electic onboard starter. some will even have the shaft cut off and rebalance the crank
Old 10-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah G-38 G380PU

That shaft coming out of the back is commonly used with a spring recoil starter such as B&B Specialties sells. It is part of the crankshaft and not removable. If you just don't like the looks of it you can cut it off with a Dremel tool. G-38s start very easy by hand so you really don't need a recoil starter. If you cut the shaft off, re-balancing is not necessary because the shaft plays no part in the balance of the crankshaft.

It's an airplane engine if it has a prop hub on the front. If not, you can order a prop hub from Ralph at RC Ignition or Horizon Hobbies.