Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

H9 33% Edge 540 and 100cc Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 06:34 PM
ScaleRules
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 33% Edge 540 and 100cc Engine

I have a H9 33% Edge 540 that I have been flying all year on a normal ZDZ 80.

Well the engine was baffed, needed new bearings and had a ridge in the cylinder wall up near TDC that the piston ring was catching on momentarily. I had to go down to a MSC 24-10 prop just to get 6200 rpm out of it.. I was going back and forth whether to have it rebuilt or just get a new engine when a fellow club member offered to buy it as is.

I picked up a used DA 100 in anticipation of selling the Edge and moving up to 35% but have since decided I might just keep the Edge.

So now I have an 80cc airframe and a 100cc engine. Can I safely use this 100cc engine in this airplane. The engine is about 2 Lbs heavier then the ZDZ and after mounting it in the Edge I had to move all three of my battery packs back 1 foot to just behind the cockpit but I did ballance it without adding any additional weight. I realize that the wingloading will have gone up but how much difference could it have really made on a 1760 sq.in. model.

Has anyone flown this combo? Input would be appreciated as I would like to resolve this ASAP.

Thanx in advance for your help.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: H9 33% Edge 540 and 100cc Engine

People are doing it all the time. I know a guy who was flying the H 9 Extra with a 3W 106.

Here's the kicker:
If you break it, Horizon will hose you because your overpowering it with an engine thats larger than recommended. Do a search. There was a thread a while back, i think it was Geistware that started it. He had a 100cc engine on his H 9 plane and the wings came apart, I think. He sent it to Horizon and admitted he had a 100cc engine on the plane. The didn't do anything for him--as far as I know. Thats the last I heard about it. He might have got some satisfaction from them eventually, but last time I checked that thread, he was getting hosed.

Take your chances, I guess. You know the increased wing loading will effect the way it flies. But, your vertical performance should be, well, brisk.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:11 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

whichever engine setup you use -you can screw the plane up if you don't use judgement
My piped 80J turns Mejzlic 27x10 at 6500 + on the ground and 7000 in the air
So using an "80" as a criteria don't get the job dun.
Lots of guys use a 100 but they use prudence in deciding when to turn up the power.
The worst stuf is high G sudden stops -those stu--walls etc.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:28 AM
adrian-RCU

stupid walls?? - normal 3d flying no??
Old 10-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

On the Sukhoi I had, they had agreed to replace it because from inspection the wing gave way. They would not admit there was a problem, but after receiving the pieces the agreed to replace it. When going there their questions they asked what engine. I knew this was going to be asked and my wife and I talked about it and I decided to tell the truth. In this failure, the engine had no bearing on the failure. My BME weighs the same as a BME super and has the same HP output. Through my negotiation, they admitted that if it was a ZDZ super they would have sent the replacement (H9 Extra). The final comment was that the manual stated an 80cc engine. It doesn't matter if the engine is bigger but puts out less power or smaller and puts out more power.

In the end, I am not satisfied with the conclusion but the Sukhoi had a known problem with the wing. I have a Extra (I guess I suffer from brand loyalty) I would recommend the Edge with the 100cc engine. Just use good throttle management. The structure of the plane is sound. Just don't do a lot of crazy 3D.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:23 AM
rmh

Adrian- there are some so called 3D "flyers" who think 3D is really how much abuse you can heap on the model .
I watch em all the time -they can't hit their as-ses with either hand in any kind of precision flying but full speed /full power with sudden high G loads are their boner makers .
You don't do that tho-----------
Old 10-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Been flynig the H9 Edge / DA 100 combo for a couple of years. It flies very light and has monster power though I rarely if ever go to full throttle.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:27 PM
rmh

yep -good combo - mine has 4" clipped from each panel - and still works great at 23 lbs (80 n full pipe) so wing loading is not bad either way I was afraid the smaller wings would not work well at lower speed but the tip plates (maybe?) helped
th big change was the snap crispnes - I like my short winged setup better than last's years with std wings .
Not trying to sell short wings - just noting what I found--