Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Questions about ZDZ 60 RV

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 01:49 AM
jlarsen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about ZDZ 60 RV

I am new to gas engines. was told the ZDZ 60 RV is a great engine. it is going into a 28% YAK. my buddy has about 2 years on his, plenty of power. He loves it. anyone have the new version black head ? Was also wondering what is the best oil to use and fuel mixture. have herd amsoil is good ? the altitude here is about 5000 feet. any help would be great...Thanks, James
Old 10-26-2006, 03:29 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Questions about ZDZ 60 RV

Best thing to do is just perform a search in the Gas Engines Forum. That will keep you busy reading for days.

The oil debate has been beat to death 100 times. Just pick one and stick to it. You can do a search in this forum for oil and you'll get 10,000 hits. It really has been beat and beat and beat and beat and beat and on and on and on--do a search.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:09 PM
greyhound man
My Feedback: (5)

You would probably do just as well to use a ZDZ 50ng unless the plane is going to be really heavy or you need the extra nose weight. The 60 is about 1# heavier than a 50 and at your 5K elevation I would try and keep it as light as possible.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:59 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: greyhound man

You would probably do just as well to use a ZDZ 50ng unless the plane is going to be really heavy or you need the extra nose weight. The 60 is about 1# heavier than a 50 and at your 5K elevation I would try and keep it as light as possible.
Unless you've flown at 5000' --you shouldn't be telling him that. We loose a tremdous amount of thrust at this altitude, and a 50 won't swing enough prop to compensate.

A 50cc engine simply isn't enough HP for a 28% model at this altitude. Been there, done that. Ask anyone that flies at higher elevation if ANY 50cc engine will hover a 16--17 pound model. The correct answer is NO.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:35 AM
jlarsen

thanks for the help. the altitude is a problem with sucking HP out of any engine. But if you like to ski we get plenty of snow.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:20 AM
volcomSNOWs2k

As for engine oil, I use Motul Synthetic. Amsoil is awesome. Klotz is awesome. Make sure whatever you decide to use, make it synthetic. I am running 50 to 1 mix ratio. Not too lean and not to rich. I have a ZDZ 50 and have flown the snot out of it with NO problems. Good Luck!!
Old 10-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Marcol

I have the 60 RV in a Hostetler PT 19 and it is a great engine. I have been flying this combo for about 2 years now and starting and reliability is 100%. I run mine on 50:1 Silkolene synthetic oil and have done so from day one. I have heard lots of stories about using mineral oil first and then switching over to synthetic but I didn't see the point.
The PT 19 weighs about 24lbs and the ZDZ will haul this vertical for a long time, not unlimited, but the model is very small by the time it runs out of steam and don't forget the PT19 is not a very aerodynamic airframe.
I don't think there is any difference, power wise, between the blue or the black head versions. All I can say is that if you buy one you won't be disappointed.

Good luck

Colin