Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

KMP edge

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 12:53 AM
freebird1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KMP edge

Hi all

I just bought a KMP edge with a 85" wing span. I am planning on installing a new 40CC gas spe engine I had and was looking for a plane. Do you tink this will be enought power. I do not plan on any 3d wiht it for now, just maybe some roles and loops. I just do not want to take 300' of runway to take off and struggle with power in flight. with the liter engine and bat I was thinking it should be no problem. I am guessing it will come out to around 14Lbs. Also any flight or build report is very greatful. I am planning on Hitec 985 servos with 6v power. Thanks gang!
Old 12-22-2006, 01:47 AM
Flyer Freq

Default RE: KMP edge

I have only been flying gassers since about mid summer. I have a BCMA 40 in a 13.5lb Cap X. It is a nice match, at that weight. My concern is two fold. First of all, you are working with a raw engine. BCMA and Brillelli made modifications to the 40CC, not just to get the most out of it, but to get the dependability to their expectations. My other concern is based on your expectation of a final weight. My Cap has a 73" wingspan. The SPE 40 is very light, and on my Cap, about 12 ounces of the overall weight is lead I added to the nose. I have a friend with an 85" KMP. It is either an Edge or Extra. He has a Brison 3.2(52CC) in it. It took all of that 52CC engine weight to balance that plane, and then some. My guess, and I am sure I will be off a good bit, but I am betting that a KMP anything, with an 85" span, properly balanced, is going to weigh 18-21lbs. Anyone, feel free to correct me.

The Cap X, the Extreem Flight Yak 54, and many of the 120-160 sized Wild Hare planes, are really what you want to look for, IMO. I hope this is helpful!

Andy
Old 12-22-2006, 10:35 AM
freebird1

Thanks for your reply Flyer Freq. You are right about scott and adam. They do a super job with the SPE engines and service. I think you are mostlikely right about the tail heavy issue with the KMP, but I think I can min this extra weight by mods and weight distribution. Like adding a pull pull and lighter gear. I think seriously I will come in way under 18Lbs, but honestly I do not really know because it is in the mail. The power has me concerned.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:51 AM
rcbill
My Feedback: (1)

Freebird,
If you purchased a 85" wingspan plane why don't you put a 50cc engine in it right off the bat. You might think you will be happy with the 40cc but I doubt it. I have seen several planes fly that size including my own and I wouldn't go for the 40. Shure it might fly it today but probably not for the aerobatics of tomorrow. You will drill holes in the engine box and hack up the cowel only to do it the second time. You will probably need some nose weight and these planes even with a 50cc engine are already pull-pull rudders. With a 50cc you will have ample power which you might need some day. Perhaps a 45cc or larger might work also. All I'm trying to say is I have seen guys go and buy a huge trailer to pull for camping only to pull it with a truck that's too small. (IMO) Bill
Old 12-22-2006, 10:59 AM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

freebird,

I have the KMP Yak with a Brison 3.2... pull-pull on the rudder, Li-ion RX and Ignition.... It's AUW is 17lbs... standard aluminum gear, wingtube, stabtube....

With that said, I would not recommend the 40cc SPE on the KMP Edge... It's not only the AUW weight to worry about, but these models are BIG, and have a huge front area... Drag will be a problem... You can likely balance the edge with the 40cc engine, but I don't think it will fly very well...
Old 12-22-2006, 01:09 PM
freebird1

I am one of those that love power. The only reason I was plannig on the SPE 40 was the fact I already have it. I know, I know, I should know better, but I hate to have an engine just laying around. I may sell the 40cc. I see that there is a 65cc SPE out now. weight is 4Lb 4oz with muffler and El and bat. May take a look at it. It is rated and 6.5 HP. I most likely could sell the 40cc and add a little and get the 65cc. What do you think about the 65cc on the edge. Thanks!!!!
Old 12-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Ih82crash

I have a KMP Edge. I put a converted G-62 I had to add 14 ounces of lead in the nose to get it to balance. With the lead it would not 3d at my elevation 5500 MSL. I traded the 62 for a 3w 70 and removed the lead for a perfect balance. It flies great with a 24 x 8 prop and is totally unlimited although that should not be a surprise. A bigger motor would have problems with prop clearance. All up weight is about 18 pounds, but still lands like my aeroworks Yak 50cc QB.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:58 AM
rcbill

Some of the guys are sticking the engine out about 1" instead of the 1/4" from the cowel to help comensate for the tail heavy problem..... Bill
Old 12-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

I def.agree with what ppl are saying... no 40 on this plane no matter what 40 it is.

Considering it's that tail heavy I would be trying to find a cf stab tune (even if it only saves 1 oz. thats 3 off the nose) a light tail wheel.. and I will consider pulling back the covering on the rudder and using a big hole drill to make 2 or 3 holes).
Old 12-26-2006, 10:36 PM
freebird1

This is the engine I am planning on using with edge. It is a 4.2 Sachs Dolmar with a 24x10 Zinger with out the muffler, prop, Ei unit, Bat,just what you see, It is coming in at 4 1/2 LBs. I weighed it with my sons fish scales so I do not know how right that is. As a total guess I would say it will come in some wheres around 6Lbs.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:40 PM
freebird1

Sorry, here is the photos!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73014.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	584142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96913.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	584143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Su34667.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	584144  
Old 12-26-2006, 11:06 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

hahah went from under powered to way over powered Gonna need throttle management on that one.

Do yourself a fav. and throw the Zinger out the window and get a real prop. Pref. a Xoar, PT Models, Mej, or a Vess.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:20 PM
freebird1

overpowered there is no such thing . I really do not know how the engine will do. the Ei unit is an older one and the engine is heavy by todays spec. The zinger prop is a start and will get flying.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

freebird1,

If you got your 40cc GT from Scott at Brillelli you may want to give him a call and see if he will take the 40cc back in on a trade. He is coming out very soon with a 50cc that will sell for $495.00 and the will include the muffler and EI.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:17 PM
freebird1

Ok, I did the all up weight on the engine and it came out to 5.7 Ibs. Now I am concern with the batterys and Rx. Should I go with 2 RX and do you think I should go with lipoly. If I can, I do not think I would use liploy. Number 1 is the cost as I do not have a charger and have never used them, but if it is the best I will go with it.

Thanks!!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Ih82crash

The 3w 70 is actually a 4.2. It is no slacker in the weight category I believe it is about 5.75 pounds with the muffler and batteries. [X(] I am running 5 cell nicads with no balance problems. One pack is on the firewall and the other is on the servo tray i made. If I had it to do over again I would use Li-ion I have them in my Aeroworks Yak and they are GREAT
Old 01-05-2007, 12:04 PM
freebird1

Well, the only thing I did not add to the engine's weight was a El. Bat. I do not think it is going to be a problem to cg now. I have the plane and was giving it a good check over. I hate the CA hinges in these biger birds. has anyone changed them to pin hinges.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:18 PM
rcbill

Freebird,
Don't blame you about the CA hinges. I have had several break on me and will not use them anymore period. I have 3 glow sized planes waiting to be re-hinged right now. It seems like in the cooler weather they would rather break than bend.... I personally would not even consider using them on a big bird no way no how. Of course this is my opinion..... Bill
Old 01-05-2007, 03:39 PM
frieshoo
My Feedback: (20)

I used the CA hinges, not problems with many flights on the Yak... I don't understand why the edge is so tail heavy... 14 oz plus a G62EI... ouch.. I bolted the brison 3.2 right on the Yak firewall, the prop hub is a 1/2 out of the cowl... It still looks good.. I have the EI module and Iginition battery on the sides of the motor box... I'm using Li-ions, but that should not make much of a difference... I'm balanced at 33% of the wing.. in the middle of each panel... Balance dead on.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:53 PM
freebird1

I just do not trust the ca hinges. I am going with Du Bro hinges. Also the firewalls seem a little weak. Has anyone beefed it up and what did you do.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Ih82crash

I did Change the hinges to the Klett type. I agree that CA hinges on a large scale plane spells disaster. I added the metal brackets for the firewall (withy Epoxy) and added triangle stock for the inside of the firewall. I also drilled and pinned the firewall (I used round toothpicks) I also replaced the piece of wood on the top of the firewall with a stronger piece of 1/8 inch lite ply. What motor did you decide on?
Old 01-06-2007, 07:59 PM
freebird1

I am going over kill with a Sachs 4.2
Old 01-09-2007, 11:03 PM
freebird1

OK gang

I need some advice with the engine mount. The engine box is pre-built and pre set in the bird at 4 1/4". I measured my engine and it is at 6". Why do they give you no way to adjust the mount. What to do. Help!!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Ih82crash

I'm confused if you need to bring the box out or push it in. Either way, here is what I did. I originally put a G62 on the plane and it stuck out too far. I cut the firewall off and moved it back about 1 inch. When I put the motor back on I did not have the thrust angle correct, so I had to add washers to compensate. I tried to use an incidence meter, but ultimately the only way to get it perfect is to fly it. (I had too much left anddown thrust). When I went vertical it would pull left and to the wheels. I simply added washers behind the appropriate corners of the engine until it flew straight. (Dont be fooled into thinking that if the backplate is lined up with the cowl it is correct)

When I switched to the 3w 70 it was shorter and I needed to pull it back out. I cut another firewall and mounted the motor to that, then I used washers behind the new firewall to take up the difference in thrust. I used 1/4 20 bolts and blind nuts from Home Depot
Old 01-10-2007, 08:32 PM
freebird1

I needed to pull it back. I cut 1 1/4" off of the fire wall. I cut the fire will with the thrust that was in the fire wall already from factory. I think there was 1/4" Diff. I hope it is right, but a motor box pre-set is crazy. Thanks, Ih82crash. I hate to buy a plane and then have to start cutting, but no biggie The isolation mounts I have require a firewall 1/2 inch.