Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Copperhead Venom 45

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 05:19 AM
mfuess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Copperhead Aviation Venom 45-30

A few years back, I did successfully make a piezo ignition. It was very complex and delicate but it did work. The unit was made out of a piezo mechanizm I extracted from a butane lighter. The problem is, in order to make a piezo crystal generate high voltage it requires an impact. I made a small impact rotor similar to a Fairbanks Morse magnito. It didn't have auto spark advance...
Old 06-09-2007, 05:36 AM
mfuess

Q&A from Michael Raj Marks

Question:

Can you kindly explain what is meant by sidedraft, downdraft and updraft positions of the carb?

Many thanks......Mike

Answer:
SIDEDRAFT: The air flow thru the carb is on a 90 degree horizontal plane relative to the crankshaft center line. EXAMPLE: Venom 45 is sidedraft.
DOWNDRAFT: The air flow thru the carb is on a 90 degree vertical plane upwards: IE: carb on top of engine with the inlet facing up.
UPDRAFT: Same as DOWNDRAFT, EXCEPT the carb is facing downwards and the airflow comes up from the bottom.
REARDRAFT: The carb is in-line with the crankshaft but the inlet is facing away from the engine, located on the opposite side of the PTO. DA-50 is REARDRAFT
Old 06-09-2007, 02:31 PM
CopperheadAV

I received a shipment of Venom 45’s from the factory that has some cosmetic blemishes. If any one is interested, PM me or shoot me an email ( [email protected] ) and I will give you the details. I will discount the engine and pick up the shipping. I only have a few so it’s first come first serve. These have no mechanical issues and will carry the two year warranty.

Cheers,
Old 06-10-2007, 05:56 AM
marcnrobin

Break in Oil:
I have heard several people/manufactures recommend "lawnboy Ashless" is this a preferrable oil? If so, can I get it at Home Depot or Lowes? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I just ordered my engine from Tim and am looking forward to getting in installed in my 25% Patty Wagstaff.

Marc
Old 06-10-2007, 06:05 AM
CopperheadAV

Lawn Boy Ashless is a good break in oil. I’ve been having a hard time finding it and I’m in DC. Home Depot and Lowes no longer carry it. If you have a Lawnmower Shop near by and the carry Lawnboy mowers, they may have it. If not, any good petroleum based oil will be fine. Follow the manufactures recommendations on mix. After break-in, you can switch to a synthetic if you wish. Thanks!!!

Cheers,
Old 06-10-2007, 06:21 AM
mfuess

I went to Home Depot yesterday and picked up some Lawn Boy ashless oil... It's not located with the other 2 cycle oils. I use this as well as Pennzoil Two Stroke oil and they both are excellent. I really don't like referreing to Lawn Boy oil as "break-in oil"... it's an excellent lubricant and your engine will last for many years without encountering any lubrication problems. Synthetics are OK, but not necessary.

The "term" break-in oil is mis-used. If you intend on using high-ratio synthetics as your "primary" lubricant, then break-in oil would be appropriate for Lawn Boy Ashless. I use Lawn Boy oil as a primary lubricant, so the only thing that would make it qualify as "break-in" oil would be the mix ratio. I run my gassers on 32:1 and 40:1, 32:1 being the "break-in" oil and often times my primary mix. My engines run very clean at these ratios. You can use higher mix ratios if the oil is rated for it, but a lean run will destroy your bearings from lack of lubrication. IT'S NOT WORTH IT. You must mix synthetics per the instructions, failure to do so will result in a stuck piston ring, and black spots all over your aircraft. Over-mixed synthetics will cause your engine to gum up and it will burn dirty.

I highly recommend you stay with a good quality petrolium based lubricant with a 32:1 mix until you become proficient in maintaining a good tune on your engine.

Copperhead (as well as all others) do not warranty engines that were abused or neglected by the owner. So consider a good lubricant, good mix, and good tune, as your insurance policy to protect your investment.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Magna

I have just checked out the spec and details of the V45 ie the mounting... I'm in big trouble. The total distance from the prop hub to the rear after the muffler is about 156mm(6.1in) according to Tim site and as I measure my DPM Extra 300, its only have about 125mm(5in) distance available from the firewall to the front of cowl. My only solution is not to use the stock rear dump muffler and opt for a side muffler. That will result in about 116mm(4.6in), which is great as I can just make 10mm mounting spacer for the mount to the firewall.

Not interested of cutting the firewall to shorten the mounting nose.

So where can I get this type of side muffler for V45. Tim?

I really like the rear dump exit to give me that scale look...... sigh!
Old 06-10-2007, 07:49 PM
CopperheadAV

Magna,

Bennett makes the muffler your looking for with the Sacs 4.2 bolt pattern. We also have a distributor in Malaysia that carries the V45. I will pm you with the details.

Cheers,
Old 06-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Magna

Hi Tim

Is this the one you refering at? Sachs, 2.0-2.4-2.6-3.2-3.7-4.2 at the bottom of the bennett page3?

http://www.bennettbuilt.com/page3.htm

The mounting bolt pattern does not seems to be correct isn't it? Is this Bennett 4.2 offer the same performance or lesser compare to stock V45 rear dump?

Do you have a side dump for V45?
Old 06-11-2007, 05:58 AM
mfuess

ORIGINAL: Magna

Hi Tim

Is this the one you refering at? Sachs, 2.0-2.4-2.6-3.2-3.7-4.2 at the bottom of the bennett page3?

http://www.bennettbuilt.com/page3.htm

The mounting bolt pattern does not seems to be correct isn't it? Is this Bennett 4.2 offer the same performance or lesser compare to stock V45 rear dump?

Do you have a side dump for V45?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:54 AM
Flyer Freq

Well, a buddy of mine just ordered one of the Venom 45's. I can't wait to get it on my test stand! He will be putting it in a H9 Extra 260. Should be a lot of fun!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Magna

mfuess

Thanks! BTW, is the performance of that bennett muffler same as stock? Better/worst? Also Bennett don't do online ordering or even email ordering? Everything via phone?
Old 06-11-2007, 09:17 PM
CopperheadAV

My apologies for this taking so long, but I have finally written a manual for the Rcexl Ignition that comes stock with our Venom Engines. If intrested, you can find it here:[link=http://www.venomengines.com/Comersus/store/index.asp]Rcexl Installation Manual[/link]
Old 06-11-2007, 09:30 PM
mfuess

ORIGINAL: Magna

mfuess

Thanks! BTW, is the performance of that bennett muffler same as stock? Better/worst? Also Bennett don't do online ordering or even email ordering? Everything via phone?
The performance is about the same, but the Bennett is a lot louder.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:22 AM
mfuess

ORIGINAL: CopperheadAV

My apologies for this taking so long, but I have finally written a manual for the Rcexl Ignition that comes stock with our Venom Engines. If intrested, you can find it here:[link=http://www.venomengines.com/Comersus/store/index.asp]Rcexl Installation Manual[/link]
Well thought out and illustrated manual. You done good bubba... But you need to activate the "SAVE" so people can download it.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:48 AM
The Big Kahuna

OK Tim
Where are those Copperhead Stickers?
Its hard to help your sales if we can't advertise for you!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:09 AM
CopperheadAV

Email me with your address!
Old 06-15-2007, 05:04 AM
marcnrobin

Just got the engine in the mail..........looking forward to installing it on my "Patty Wagstaff".

Tim,
Can you send me some "Copperhead" stickers as well? you've got my address.
Does the timing need to be set or is it preset from the factory?

Marc
Old 06-15-2007, 05:31 AM
mfuess

Marc,

The timing "should" be correct, but I would recommend you verify it just to be safe. Once you fire it up, let it run for awhile before you get trigger-happy with the throttle.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim, I have tried contacting you several times by email and pm. Can you tell me if my replacement muffler has been sent? Also, I lowered my fuel tank to the ground on my test stand - 30 "- and it still spits fuel out of the carb at anything above idle. This is with 5/32 tygon fuel line and factory needle settings.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:47 PM
mfuess

Your float needle is EITHER leaking, or it's adjusted too high. Regardless which one it is, it needs to be corrected.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So do I have to buy a guage to set this or just trial and error? I can take the carb off and check it, but I really don't know what I'm looking for.The info on the Venom tech site is all I have to go on. This is my first gas engine and I'm clueless . I haven't adjusted the needles and the timing as far as I can tell is 29 degrees. I have put about 1 hour on the engine on the test stand almost all below 4000 rpm.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:13 AM
mfuess

Morning 72,

To check for a leaking float needle, connect a remote gas tank to your engine and raise the tank above the carb about 1 foot or so. Fill your tank with gas and let is sit there for about 10 to 15 minutes. If you see gas dripping from your carb, your needle is leaking and will need to be replaced. Do this first... and let me know the results.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:53 AM
marcnrobin

Mark,
Is it best to not use the "primer bulb" that came with the engine? Just seems like more plumbing to do if it's not needed.
I have never used one one my ryobi conversions. Have you thought about putting smoke on the Venom engine? I've never done smoke but always liked the way that it looked.

Marc
Old 06-19-2007, 06:22 AM
mfuess

Remove the primer bulb and plug off the brass nipple on the carb. You "may" find that this is the source of your problem...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.