Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W-80XI CS break in help

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:25 PM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W-80XI CS break in help

Hey guys........I sold my 33% yak to my room mate and he just got a new 3W 80 XI Cs version motor. I'm trying to gather some info here on the break in and what we need to do. I'm getting another 333% yak and this same motor as well , so i wanted to get your input on the brebreaking in on this engine.

The manuel , from just a quick look through suggests breaking it in on a stand at about 2000-2500 rpm for 4 hours? I have heard a bunch of guys on here say , mount it to the plane , tue it to run , then just be easy on it , and fly it to break it in. Is this correct? With a brand new motor , i would be a little scared , and afraid it might be giving me some deadstick landings.

Do you guys have "new motor" deadstick landings , due to it being really rich? And what can we do to make sure we get this this broke in properly? We're both moving up to Gas this summer , and i could use some advice.

we are planning on using the Mobil 2 racing ashless oil at about 32:1 for the first 3-4 gallons , then maybe jumping up to about 36:1 after about the 4th gallon. After that , we're not sure what oil to switch to.

and advice here would be good. Thanks guys.

Silversurfer and RIK , you guys still around?

JEFF
Old 02-23-2007, 01:23 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 3W-80XI CS break in help

Put it on the plane and fly. Use what ever high quality oil you like mixed at oil manufacturers recommendations and Have Fun
Old 02-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

Broke my 3W80Xi in on the very same plane. Never a dead stick. You'll probably find that the factory needle settings are pretty rich. Mine wouldn't even idle there. Close the low a bit till it will hold a fast idle, then fly it........

Enjoy.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:15 PM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

Ok , sounds great guys. I do have one more question. In the manual the say run it for 2000-2500 for 4 hours , obviously that's the wrong way and could possibly burn up the motor. Once we get the motor started up and tune in the low end just a hair , we'll need to probably rev it up to about 5000-6000 i would think for an actuall lift off correct? will this hurt the motor at all do you think? and if not , once we have the bird in the air , should we be a little easy on the throttle , for what ,maybe about 10-15 flights or so?

Like i said before in other posts , i always come here for the advice , you guys have never steered me wrong. Thanks again!!

Jeff
Old 02-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

A 2 stroke is a 2 stroke..Go to a local chainsaw dealer and ask him how they break in a chainsaw...Nothing special about a 3W, unless they're afraid it can't take it
Old 02-24-2007, 02:39 PM
TrikeFlyer

There are as many opinions on how to break in an engine as there are different makes of engine.

A new engine needs to be temperature cycled to relieve the stresses from the manufacturing processes. Run it for about 10 minutes 5 or 6 times around 2000 to 25000 rpm shuting it down and letting it cool off between each run.

Then run another tank of fuel while varying the RPM up and down and tune the high needle to 200 RPM lower than max RPM. St low enf needle for good transition and go fly it.