Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

What Is The Problem Here ??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 11:52 PM
JEanes
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Is The Problem Here ??????

I have been trying to sell a converted 30cc Homelite on this forum for the better part of 3 months.......I get VERY FEW inquiries, a few want pics and I send them with no replys back....I see other engines in that size range being sold here but not this one. My engines are done right, I have sold a few engines on the lower price scale that were done very economical. The engine I am speaking of at the present time is very good with a new cylinder and piston ring; only cranked once to check out. With what I have invested, the price is NOT to high and is in line with the others.

I have 30 yrs. experience with small engine work and am no stranger to putting one together.....I fly what I build...........

OK...let's hear it,,,,,,,what is the problem ? Inquiring minds wants to know.......
Old 03-06-2003, 03:04 AM
Daniel Ramsey

Do you have anything in the 40-46cc range? myself I wasn't aware of conversions being sold, guess I should look in the classifieds? never saw it here but I am a new member only for a week now.
I may be interesred in like above a good 40-46cc for an 18lb. Ryan STA, complete with a quality electronic ignition system. doing my first conversion is hard, better for me to just buy one and see it, then I can make the next one by myself. been a machinist myself for thirty years so I know a thing or two but R/C is vary spotty, last time I flew was 12 years ago!
Old 03-06-2003, 04:02 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe people just can't get excited about a Homelite. Not that it's not a good buy or runs good it's kinda like kissin your sister. No offence intended just MHO.

Ken
Old 03-06-2003, 08:08 AM
shupack

or riding a scooter
Old 03-06-2003, 01:04 PM
davey_flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Could also be that ppl. are staying away from it cause of the replaced parts. Not to cause offense but how do we know you know what you're doing with swapping pistons? I myself am leary of buying an engine that's been rebuilt already.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:35 PM
Kris^
Banned

Or, perhaps, they see a "manufacturer" out there, like ZDZ/RCS, BME, DA, or 3W who makes a comparably sized motor (or one slightly larger) that, although more expensive also comes with a 3-year warranty, makes more power, is probably lighter in weight, and can be pulled off the shelf and sent to them, and has readily available spare parts and will be repaired by the "seller".

It's HARD to compete with mass-produced high quality engines from a reputable and established manufacturer, no matter how well you do the work.

personally, if I had the choice between your 30cc motor, and an RCS140 or ZDZ 40, I'd take the RCS/ZDZ, and if BME or DA made a 30-40cc engine, I'd buy theirs first. Why? NOT because yours is based on a "weedy/chainsaw" conversion, but because of the perceived better product and service after the sale and 3-year waranty I'd get from these companies.

It's just VERY hard to compete with that.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:37 PM
Joe Butch
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What's it worth?

When some one asks me " What's this thing worth?" my standard reply is two phased:
1 Whatever you can get for it. Or:
2. What ever you have to have for it.
If you have to sell - it's worth 'what you can get' for it.
If you'd sell but don't HAVE to - It's worth 'what ever you feel you need for it'.
I post items for sale. And I set my price. If they sell good. If someone makes me an offer, then I decide if I HAVE to sell or not. Basically - kinda simple
See ya at the field, Mark
I CUT the throttle!!!!!
I think it hit the ground before the signal got there.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:43 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

If someone is worried about quality, let me throw in here that I bought a homelite weedeater probably 12 or more years ago. From a locally owned drug store chain that was famous for the sporting goods and other items they used to sell. I have never had it serviced. I have changed the plug a couple of times. I have fiddled with the high and low speed nv's from time to time. But that's it. It gets treated like dirt and continues to run on and on and on......
Old 03-06-2003, 04:13 PM
JEanes

Default engine "quality"

first of all let me say..... I KNOW HOMELITE ENGINES"......I have been to ,,,,well let me think,,,,,,Homelite, Stihl,, McCulloch, Briggs,
way back when AMF Corp. was in small engines, Lawnboy, OMC.
oh well a BUNCH of training is under my belt. Now, as to the question as to why the cylinder was changed,,,,,ANYBODY that KNOWS Homelite can tell you that a 25cc can be upgraded to a 30cc........and that is what was done ......OK........!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS engine is as good as ANY Ryobe floating around here.....and they are selling......as compared to a TRUE R/C aircraft engine.......well I can trot of to my small engine shop and pick up a part WITHOUT having to call some place in the desert and wait on shipping....and the parts are far more economical.....like the above post states....they just keep on running.....................

NOW..... ? ? ?
Old 03-06-2003, 04:13 PM
edge_fanatic

Default Hey Nik...

I agree with your assessment....But, would you take that motor now and put it in your plane that, other than the motor, comprises $800 if equipment?

Unfortunately, I agree that buying from a well established place (BME is currently my preference) having a warranty etc. is wayyyyyy up on my list.

And, I can go to my field and find a few folks who have one(the BME, ZDZ, etc) and haven't had any trouble with them. That isn't to say I'd have trouble with anyone elses motor either...But I have a trusted person whom I've been flying with for a few years recommending it to me...(and who can help me when I do something stupid)....

Just my .02
Old 03-06-2003, 04:46 PM
JEanes

Default comparison

Maybe the point is being overlooked here in a way......compared to a Ryobe and other Homelites being sold..........and on the other note......IF you lose your plane because your high dollar engine "quits" and you are not close enough to get back to the field........will your high dollar engine mfg. pay for your plane ? I think not , so there is no discussion there....we are talking about an economical engine for SPORT flying....NOT T.O.C. give me a break here........!
Old 03-06-2003, 04:59 PM
davey_flyer

JEanes:

I completely agree with Kris^. I want something reliable, affordable, well known in the RC community, and above all, warranty. Now what type of a warranty are you offering people when you sell these engines? Will you overnight a broken part of the engine/carb to get be back up and running should a part fail? Do you have a appropriate support line that customers can call if they have questions/concerns about set-up, maintenance, or troubleshooting? My point is... you're just another guy in the hobby trying to sell some wares. Unless you're offering something more tangible to people in terms of after sales service then you'll have to sacrifice what you want for the engine, as opposed to what you can get for the engine. If I buy a zdz, whether new or used, I know that I can call David at RCS and get immediate assistance. If I buy a used convert from ebay or RCU, where do I go? Unless I have the knowledge and confidence to work on the engine myself I'm screwed. One last point, attitude may also be a factor in selling your equipment.

David
Old 03-06-2003, 05:14 PM
JEanes

Default "comparison"...again

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT CONVERSIONS HERE.....Homelites, Ryobes, McCulloch. And my "attitude" is doing just fine....thanks.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:23 PM
Kris^
Banned

Jeanes. . .YOU may know that. . .but do the prospective BUYERS?????

If you WANT to sell the motor. . you have to SELL it. . not just put it out there with a few words of what it is and a price and hope for a reaction. THEN you have to sell YOURSELF if it is not a name-brand motor, because YOU are the one that people are going to refer to in case of problems.

Fail at EITHER part of a sale, and YOU will NEVER get the sale. . It's up to YOU, not the rest of the modelling world, to convince THEM that your product is worthy of THEIR hard-earned money.

Once you achieve that, you will get a sale. Until that time, no one wants to hear the whining and complaining. . We are ALL Grown-ups here (I HOPE!!!). Accept the limitations of what "customers" want, or forget trying to sell anything to anyone.

Now. . give it a rest.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Antique

UHHHHH...ALL sellers are not the same...I defy you to find ANYONE who has bought ANYTHING from me who EVER had a problem that was not resolved quickly and usually at NO cost..
Just because someone does not use fancy advertising and hype does not mean they're not as good as the ones that do.....All the hype in the world does not make a bad company into a good one...You think a BME is higher quality than a Zenoah ? Show me where....I have sold Zenoah engines for 16 years, NEVER had a warranty problem.....Made from CHAINSAW parts, just like the Echo parts BME uses....You see anything on the BME 50 short block that's NOT from the saw or weedeater it comes from ? Is it modified in any way ? Fat chance.....
Old 03-06-2003, 05:38 PM
JEanes

Default one last time

I have sold enough on the net to be OK with "buyers"......always shipped on time and payed ,,,on time. I have never give anyone something faulty. Always sent pics before the sell. Describe as it is. I just can't figure ...................."I'm resting".........zzzzzzzzzz
Old 03-06-2003, 05:49 PM
Kris^
Banned

Rcign. .Bme, DA, 3W and others have a REPUTATION. . usually good. . call it a 5 star rating .. .

I'm sure YOU do as well. . . Even given that high "rating" though, 3W still has problems with their motors (I'd give them 2.5 stars) BME has weedie conversions at this time and is upgrading to proprietary parts only (4 stars) DA is overrated for what you get but has great customer service (4 stars) ZDZ has ignition problems STILL (3.5 stars) and Zenoah is a dumb, simple, overpriced, but reliable powerplant (3-3.5 stars)

Where does the independent "conversion" supplier fit in? It depends on their reputation .. A&H is probably a NEGATIVE 5 stars ( I can't imagine a worse built motor with a poorer support).

You can sell conversions all day long. . . IF you can sell YOURSELF.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:23 PM
Antique

And $500.00 for a 50cc engine is not overpriced ??
Old 03-06-2003, 06:42 PM
Kris^
Banned

Depends on how badly the buyer WANTS it. .

the 3W's come across the border for about 650/motor for a 150 . . with ignition. . but sell for over twice that. . . .Maybe you can talk to THEM about price gouging????

Everyone is following the overpriced 3W example, simply because the people buying 3W's PROVE that people WILL pay that much.

BME could sell the 50's for a bit less. . the 102's the same way. . DA could too, but would take a shellacking on profit margin.

Blame the Germans. . . . it's THEIR price structure everyone else is following.
Old 03-09-2003, 03:20 PM
geardaddy
My Feedback: (27)

Here is a good example of supply and demand, this 50cc engine will likely not go higher than $150 and for another example i bought a 120cc Stihl for $190 on ebay and it was a already converted for r/c use.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=19164
Old 03-09-2003, 03:45 PM
edge_fanatic

Default Re: "comparison"...again

Originally posted by JEanes
WE ARE TALKING ABOUT CONVERSIONS HERE.....Homelites, Ryobes, McCulloch.
I agree that is what you are selling, but you are in a marketplace that is rather diverse and includes nonconversions. So, your competition is all engine manufacturers that can satisfy the same need that your products satisfy. That may be one reason to include all engine manufacturers in the analysis.

In addition to other factors, it may just be advertising and word of mouth. Earlier, I said that I have bought engines because my friends have had good experience with the manufacturers. Its was just that simple for me. Buying something nobody had previously used or heard about wasn't going to happen.

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2003, 06:59 PM
Antique

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kris^
Rcign. .Bme, DA, 3W and others have a REPUTATION. . usually good. . call it a 5 star rating .. .

I'm sure YOU do as well. . . Even given that high "rating" though, 3W still has problems with their motors (I'd give them 2.5 stars) BME has weedie conversions at this time and is upgrading to proprietary parts only (4 stars) DA is overrated for what you get but has great customer service (4 stars) ZDZ has ignition problems STILL (3.5 stars) and Zenoah is a dumb, simple, overpriced, but reliable powerplant (3-3.5 stars)

Where does the independent "conversion" supplier fit in? It depends on their reputation .. A&H is probably a NEGATIVE 5 stars ( I can't imagine a worse built motor with a poorer support).

You can sell conversions all day long. . . IF you can sell YOURSELF.
[/QUOTE
And the others are intelligent, complicated, and cheap ??
What is a dumb engine ? show me the difference between the G45 and a BME 50 in terms of design. Is there something more complicated about ANY two stroke ? 2 bearings, a three piece crank, and a piston and cylinder....
Old 03-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Everybody wants something for nothing

JEanes:

Your problem is not You or the engine. The problem is that many people on this board want you to practically GIVE an engine away.

I've been trying to sell some REALLY nice glow engines on this board for about a month. So far, only two of them have sold. I'm not asking rediculous prices for my engines either. IMO-- I'm practically giving them away-- when you consider the condition of these engines.

But, people are cautious and scared to get ripped off. You really have to spend a lot of time answering Emails and selling your reputation and your engines. It's almost not worth it.

Don't take it personally JEanes. People just want a free engine-- or darn close to it.

I sold a big glow engine to a guy last week. He was really scared and was trying to get me to lower the price on the engine. I held firm to my price. Well, I can tell you that the guy was doing backflips when he got the motor. He was so happy with the condition of it. He really must have thought that I was lying about the condtition. He told me that it was practically brand new and that he was extremely happy with the price.

He didn't offer me more money for it though.

The point is-- guys want an engine for dirt cheap-- and you sell it for a loss. Then the guy calls you and tells you how happy he is and raves about the condition of the engine. But; he never offer you another $25 or $40 for it-- he's got it in his hands and he's happy. Nevermind whats really FAIR .

Just my thoughts.