Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

ignition switch- where to put them

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 05:33 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition switch- where to put them

What are the general guidelines for placing ignition switches relative to the location of RX systems in the model?

I have heard 12" separation before.

Does this apply to the ignition charging jack as well?

For a scale subject, would you bother with concealing these ignition functions or is it crtical to have easy access to them for some reason?

Thanks,
ScaleMe
Old 03-10-2003, 06:27 PM
My Feedback: (11)

The 12" rule is what people shoot for. However you can go with less if you have too. Just make sure you do engine on range checks to verify it isn't a problem. I have seen the ignition switch mounted right next to the receiver switches in quite a few airplanes, and they never had interference issues. However, if something ever goes wrong with the ignition, it will bite and bite hard.

The 10-12" rule applies to all electrical components, as well as any metal to metal connections between the engine/ignition and the receiver/servos. Ie, don't use a metal pushrod from the throttle servo to the engines carb arm.

Having access to the switch quickly in an emergency is important. I always have the ignition switch readily available within reach of the person holding the airplane during a start. It can still be hidden, even if its nothing more than installing it so the switch is on the bottom and hidden from view.Just make sure the holder knows where it is just in case.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:24 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I have had things as close as 8 ", actually a bit closer , I didn't like doing it but the plane was only a 65" BI-Plane and very short.

I did however keep all ignition components forward of the firewall.

I tried to move the switch further back and had a lot of interference, so it went back to the firewall.

"RANGE CHECK< RANGE CHECK< RANGE CHECK"

Oh, did I mention, to be sure to range check.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:42 AM

Default Thanks

Thank you guys for the feedback. Good advise.

ScaleMe
Old 03-11-2003, 01:24 AM
My Feedback: (11)

I would also recommend the use of the heavy duty switches because of the high vibration environment. In fact, I would recommend this for all switches, not just hte ignition. Since the switches are probably the most common failure point in our airplanes, i decided to tear a couple apart to see exactly what we are getting.

After I did that, I threw away all my old switches, and replaced them with the JR Charge Switches, or its clones (Cermark, MPI, etc).

If you want more info, check here, http://www.giantscalerc.com/technical%20main.htm
and click on the switch comparison at the bottom.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:48 PM

Just keep it as far away as possible from all the radio equipment. If the throttle servo is the closest thing and you are getting interferance there are always other possibilities. You could go with a fiber optic wire to go to your throttle servo and then power the throttle servo with the ignition battery.

It would probably be better to try things the easier and cheaper way first though to see if it will work.

Just do a lot of ground testing
Old 03-13-2003, 07:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use slide switches. Toggle switches have a habit of falling apart from vibration.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:48 PM
My Feedback: (16)

I have had switches as close as 6 inches but I twisted the leads and the ignition switch was more than 12 inches from the receiver and the antenne.

I would not recommend this!
Old 03-13-2003, 10:20 PM

Wouldn't you want to keep the kill switch NEAR the engine and away ftom the radio equipment? Keep all radio equipment, including throttle/choke servos and on-off switched at least 8" away?

ML
Old 03-14-2003, 01:08 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Default Yep...

Originally posted by ml3456
Wouldn't you want to keep the kill switch NEAR the engine and away ftom the radio equipment? Keep all radio equipment, including throttle/choke servos and on-off switched at least 8" away?

ML
I do what you just said, except for the 8" part...All of my engine equipment and engine electronics are at least 6" away from the engine, but I'm not sure it is 8"....

But the rest is right. Kill sw. can be close to the motor (e.g. away from all parts of the radio) along with ignition battery and ignition, but the rest needs to be away....
Old 03-15-2003, 01:55 PM
My Feedback: (16)

You want to keep everything at least 12 inches apart if you can. If you can't, then I would recommend that you twist your leads to lessen the problem.