Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

FRL45 Gas engine Whats the verdict?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

FRL45 Gas engine Whats the verdict?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Liberator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FRL45 Gas engine Whats the verdict?

Sorry if this has been gone over I couldn't find it in a search, I am curious what folks are thinking of this Engine?
$200.00 is pretty good for 45CC, or is it too good to be true?

I currently fly gliders but I was toying with getting back into a powered plane like that Honda Scheme Wild Hare 87" Sukhoi SU-26

Tom
Old 09-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: FRL45 Gas engine Whats the verdict?

Uhhh, sorry, but what's an FRL-45? Enlighten me please.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about an FRL45 but here is an FTL 45 https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5460
Old 09-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Makes sense, I do typos all the time, so that prolly covers it. I don't believe there has been anything definitive on this engine yet but te price is good enough to try it if you have the talent to work with a gasser a little.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Liberator

Thanks BAss thats exactly what I was talking about, sorry for the typo.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:15 AM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

Thought I would give one a try but only got one flight with it and the ignition went out on it, Was getting 7080 RPM with a pro zinger 20-10 prop running a little rich.
I think one of the main problems will be getting service for the engine, Got in touch with United Hobby and they sent a a address in North Carolina to send it. Sent with delivery no and they received a week ago and still have not heard anything about it. Going on three weeks now with no ignition. Looks like if I get to use the engine will have to go th CH and get a new ignition.

Milton
Old 09-15-2007, 04:16 PM
XJet
Banned

It's easy to see now (with hindsight) how a $199 (plus freight) engine works out to be worse value than something "tried and tested" such as the incredible DL50 ($370 shipped).

Although the FRL45 is $150 or so cheaper on paper, by the time you dick-around getting it going and *keeping* it going, your costs are probably not going to be very much (if any) less than had you bought a "known quantity" like the DL.

The DL also has *stacks* more power and local (to the USA) support that (going by all reports) is first-rate.

I (like you) have been burnt before by taking a punt on a "cheap" engine. Now I wait for others to make the mistakes so I can spend my money more wisely :-)
Old 09-17-2007, 09:57 PM
edward cobb

XJET, you are right on target, I bought a CRRC Pro 45cc engine, was only good for a boat anchor. The DL 50 is a tried a proven product, price is more than right. I own two of them and several DA's. You cannot beat the realibility, performance and the price on the DL.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:28 PM
RC Extreme power

Edward
What was the problems with the CRRC 45

Thanks
milton
Old 09-18-2007, 01:01 PM
mitchmcf

I dont know why ppl are puting down the CRRC 45 I have two of them and a Thor 45 and all three run very well with not one problem with at the min. of 5gal in each one.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:31 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: mitchmcf

I dont know why ppl are puting down the CRRC 45 I have two of them and a Thor 45 and all three run very well with not one problem with at the min. of 5gal in each one.
Because I've got one and it's shiRt :-)

(And no, it's not my only gasser so I'm not speaking from ignorance of how these things are supposed to work or how to set them up.

They're a lottery -- some (no doubt) perform well (like yours) but there are a *lot* of others that come out of the factory in a state that is sorely deficient. Mine wouldn't even turn over because the crank wasn't pressed together properly so the bearings had bound up.

There are quite a few similar tales of woe from owners who have converted their CRRC engines into delightful paperweights - or anchors for a bit of bass-fishing.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:56 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or anchors for a bit of bass-fishing.
Kind of small as an anchor for a bass boat unless you're talking about a drift anchor for a jon boat in breezy conditions. That being the case, I would probably have to throw/drift a pumkin seed "Carolina rig" !
Old 09-19-2007, 12:44 AM
G-armor
Banned

mitchmcf

I think the key of your question is,Xjet own an eld type of GF45I which quality is not as good as present.

The Thor45 and the latest GF45I were updated a lots.

LoL~~~
Old 09-19-2007, 03:40 AM
XJet
Banned

Mine was the version with the new style muffler and new intake adaptor, not the older one with the wrap-around muffler and the leaky intake manifold. What's newer than that?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:10 AM
G-armor
Banned

The new ignition has metal cap and auto advanced. Not black !
Old 09-19-2007, 11:00 PM
XJet
Banned

I have the old ignition -- but with a munted crankshaft and bearings (out of the box) no amount of updating of the ignition is going to make it run sweetly (or at all) :-(

CRRCPro have *lousy* quality control so buying one is/was a lottery.

I've yet to see a dud DL50, the QC there seems better and they're just in a whole different league performance-wise. Plus, you don't have the hassle of an awkward side-mounted carby to deal with.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:05 PM
G MAN

I have a FTL 45 just put 7 flyts on it today no problem so far very imprest 16Lb plane
Old 10-01-2007, 09:45 AM
f4you
My Feedback: (7)

Just got mine. Opened the box, unmistakable gas smell-----this engine has definetely been run!! Good surprise.
Mounted it on a test stand, threw a 5 cell pack at the ignition, choke closed, handful of flips got a POP, choke open, couple flips later, purring away at a fast idle. Gave it some throttle, took it immediately (great transition!!). OK, I'm starting to like what I'm seeing. Full throttle, 6600 RPM with a 21 x 8 Xoar prop. Smooth. Not particularly quiet, but smooth. Of course, I'm not one to trust "factory" needle settings, so I proceed to adjust the card right out of adjustment. It was right where it needed to be out of the box!!! I've never seen this in a gasser before, and yep, I've owned/operated quite a few through the years. Got the idle slowed down nicely(removed the spring loaded idle stop screw as usual).
Now, this is only after about 20 minutes of bench running time, but if this thing continues to behave like this, I'll be a happy camper----
Old 10-02-2007, 02:53 AM
superdave01

I have one coming, should be here by end fo week, Ill try to remember to post my findings ....... working on a plane to put it in, maybe a hangar 9 extra 260 which ive seen fly on a da50 ..........
Old 10-05-2007, 02:15 AM
sjaa

I am considering this engine for a Pilatus Porter 2,40meter tow plane.

Please keep the reports coming

What´s the actual weight for FTL45 muffler and ignition included?
Old 10-05-2007, 02:45 AM
superdave01

I ordered it Thursday and got it tuesday, not bad for Hong Kong to Texas USA.

Ive not run it yet but may have found a plane for it.

Ive only weighted it complete in box, Includes motor, muffler, large tool, spark pug and included spark plug tool 4.14 pounds.

As everyone has said the muffler isnt anything pretty however the part that would usually show is ok, in a cowl the heavy welds wont show also i think the muffler is probally REALLY strong as the welds at thick and have not been grinded down like most are.

Motor has double rings on the piston, has Walbro carb and Electronic ignition that looks very simnilar to DA, it says its auto advancing and has a good quality cap on the lead for the Plug.

Once you set the choke it turns off when you throttle up automatically, Nice i think. ( easy to disable if you dont want)

Hopefully ill get to fly it soon, im very anxious and ill report props and rpm and other comments.

In looking at the motor i cant find anything that would make me think bad.

I have 2 DA's and there certinally great but I think this one might compare well ........

Dave
Old 10-05-2007, 08:03 AM
sjaa

Thank you for the report..
Please keep up the good work, would really appreciate as much info as possible before ordering.

Hope your engine runs as smooth as it looks

Best regards
JoE
Norway
Old 10-07-2007, 12:16 PM
RC Extreme power

Posted this same statement on another site

Orderd one of the FTL45 and CRRC 45 and 26.
A lot of the parts will interchange from the CRRP and FTL45. One big differnce is the FTL comes with RC Xel ignition and the CRRP comes with ?
Like I posted earler the first ignition I got with the FTL was one of the older ones and went out on 6 volts, It took a month but was repalced by UH.

The FTL has a machined lower end and the CRRP has a cast lower end.

Both ignitions for the 26 and 45 for the CRRP went out on test stand so I repalced the 45 with a RC xel and got it running, Had to change maginet and sensor,
The stock igniton on the CRRP is fixed timing and makes it shake while at lower RPM.

All in all I think the FTL is a better engine than the CRRP, At least it is a better bang for the buck, Might be trouble to get warrnty work for it but that is the case for the CRRP also.

The 26 came with the threaded part of prop shaft bent and I put it in my lath and with a slite tap got it working, The metal is very shoft and easy to bend.

Milton
Old 10-08-2007, 04:06 PM
ragallo

Need help
received my FTL 45 gasoline engine a couple of days ago. I did not receive as spark plug with it. I would like to know what spark plug to use with it. Something that would be available champion,NKG in the US. I have e-mailed them several times I got replies but not answers. This engine looks very good I hope it runs as good as it looks. The instruction manual is a total waste and there are no directions with the electronic ignition. I am going to put it in a 33% Pitts special from RC guys they had a special on the plane so I decided to try it. $500 for plane and engine is cheap. Thanks in advance for any help I get or words of wisdom.

Bob G.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:26 PM
G MAN

Chmpion RDJ7Y or Bosch HSR8E or gogal the Ignition web sit Rcexl it shows all the spark plugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.