Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Large petrol engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large petrol engines

I am about to start a 1/2 scale Bleriot and looking to see what I could power it with, I suspect about 150cc as I would like to swing a 32 - 36" prop.

I don't really want to be spending the sort of money that a DA150 costs and was wondering if there are any engines out there, or ones that could be converted or even I would look at building a reduction drive as the aeroplane only needs to stooge about the sky and dos'nt need loads of power.

Any suggestions ??
Old 12-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Large petrol engines

Talk to Pe Reivers and Dick Hanson, and perhaps with Ralph Cunningham. Those three would be able to cover all the bases. If you have to self manufactuer a gear reduction unit it's quite possible the cost of the gear drive could exceed the cost of a used engine in good condition. However, I don't know you're capabilities or how well your shop is equipped. I presume both are good since it's a 1/2 scale project and not something generally undertaken by the neophyte.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:54 PM
fooofighter

Hi I have been fling ultralights for some time now and you may find an old weedhopper engine cheap! most flyers won't use them!How ever on a model HUMMMMM could work! Mine swings a 44/18 Prop. this Chiotia 460 single cyl. dual points ign. One set of point set ATDC for hand starting and the second set of points for BTDC spark timing for power production. engine was rated@ 25 hp however people say it was more like 15hp. It pulls me and a 256lb plane not bad also not as reliable as a modern engine. if someone could setup a solid state ign. might be an opt. With the points and condinser ign. 2.4 gig RX and Trans would be advisable! have a few of these eng.s and love them for what they are!!! a scaled up 1930s ign model engine. Cheak with [email protected] one will have one!!! Let me know how it goes.Maybe a few pic.s of your plane??? Jeff
Old 12-04-2007, 07:14 AM
Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: Pat Roy

Talk to Pe Reivers and Dick Hanson, and perhaps with Ralph Cunningham. Those three would be able to cover all the bases. If you have to self manufactuer a gear reduction unit it's quite possible the cost of the gear drive could exceed the cost of a used engine in good condition. However, I don't know you're capabilities or how well your shop is equipped. I presume both are good since it's a 1/2 scale project and not something generally undertaken by the neophyte.
Thanks, I live in Ireland so not familular with these guys, making a reduction drive would not be a problem, I would like to find out about other engines that have been converted for model use, like the smaller petrol weedwackers that are used often.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: fooofighter

Hi I have been fling ultralights for some time now and you may find an old weedhopper engine cheap! most flyers won't use them!How ever on a model HUMMMMM could work! Mine swings a 44/18 Prop. this Chiotia 460 single cyl. dual points ign. One set of point set ATDC for hand starting and the second set of points for BTDC spark timing for power production. engine was rated@ 25 hp however people say it was more like 15hp. It pulls me and a 256lb plane not bad also not as reliable as a modern engine. if someone could setup a solid state ign. might be an opt. With the points and condinser ign. 2.4 gig RX and Trans would be advisable! have a few of these eng.s and love them for what they are!!! a scaled up 1930s ign model engine. Cheak with [email protected] one will have one!!! Let me know how it goes.Maybe a few pic.s of your plane??? Jeff
I fly ultralights myself and familular with the smaller single seat engines, one snag being the weight
Old 12-06-2007, 09:19 PM
fooofighter

WEIGHT + GRAVITY+ DRAG=???????
Oh Yes The weight. I'll get out to the engine in the next day or so and weigh it! I think you might be surprised. I had not noticed that you are in Ireland.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:44 PM
fooofighter

Hi. I said i'd get a weight on the chotia 460 i told you about. Chotia 460
Formerly Produced by:
Weedhopper of Utah INC.
1148 Century Drive
P.O. Box 2253
Ogden, UT 84404
(801) 621 3941
(they are no longer located there) Cheak this site www.weedhopper@yahoo groups.com

This company produced the first engine specifically designed for ultralight aircraft. Unlike most engines used on ultralights in 1982 that were designed for other purposes and adapted, the Chotia 460 gives large torque at low rpm. It was designed for long life, reliability and ease of tuning.

Type: Single Cylinder, air-cooled, direct drive, two stroke.

Cylinder:
Bore: 88.00 mm (3.47 in.)
Stroke: 75.00 mm (2.95 in.)
Swept volume: 456 cc (27.85 cu in.)
Schnurle-port design.
4 bolt exhaust flange.

Connecting Rod: Machined bar stock.
Needle bearings at both ends.

Crankshaft: Three ball bearings.
Reversible rotation.
Direct drive.

Induction: Impulse fuel pump.
Bowl-type carburetor.
Fuel-Oil ratio 50:1

Ignition: Four D - sized flashlight batteries giving
24 Hours operation before full-power misfire
(Then giving 4 hours cruise available)
Standard 14 mm spark plug (NGK B6ES) NOTE: If using Radio equipment Get a spark plug that has a resistor in it!!! Like a NGK(b R 6es)

Dimensions: Length 305 mm (12.0 in.)
Width 178 mm ( 7.0 in.)
Height 406 mm (16.0 in.)
Weight (DRY) 14.3 kg(31.5 lbs)
Performance Ratings (S/L):
T-O 18.6 kW (25 HP) at 4700 rpm
Continuos 14.9 kW (20 HP) at 3500 rpm
Prop size 44/18 approx.

If you have any comments or suggestions concerning this page, please feel free to send them to me.
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 12-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Al Lewis
Banned

If you can pick up a half way decent 150cc 3W or DA used I would advise you to use them and reconsider the gear drive. What you will want is a toothed belt drive. You can buy the aluminum extrusion or the toothed pulleys at any number of places and a 1"-1 1/2" wide belt will provide all of the drive you will need for your reduction. This will eliminate most all of the vibration, be cheaper, and lend itself to a longer distance between the engine shaft and prop shaft which may come in handy for a scale plane. BTW Don't happen to know my old buddy Mervin Binnions do ya??? Built himself a pub over there to retire in.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Xairflyer

I think at 30 lbs I would say a bit heavy!!

A DA150 is only 8 lbs I can get a DA100 equivalent which weighs 6 lbs then add a reduction gear and still be lower than 10 lb

A specific model engine like the DA range will cost money, will go this route if I cant find anything else. I remember being at Cosford large model show in 2006 and a guy there used a converted 125cc go cart engine, this is the sort of thing I am after.