Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RPM verses HP ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 05:02 PM
RAMMJETT

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: RPM verses HP ???

MATT I finally realize what your going on about. you thought when i said (rated rpm)i ment max rpm . i was talking about the rpm the engine is rated for max hp.i see now how that could be misread.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:13 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RAMMJETT

MATT I finally realize what your going on about. you thought when i said (rated rpm)i ment max rpm . i was talking about the rpm the engine is rated for max hp.i see now how that could be misread.
That would be correct. Makes more sense this way.

Mark
Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 AM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

ORIGINAL: Kweasel

Why does it take 4HP for a ducted fan make the same thrust as 2HP can with a propeller?
just because --that's why your numbers are not too meaningful but - ducted fans are horribly bad at producing thrust
Now ask this
which produces the most thrust
a 6" prop in free air or a 6" prop in a duct?
each with the same hp input
I would expect the 6" fan to do better than a 6" prop since the thrust collum of a propeller is only 70% of its diameter.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:48 AM
RAMMJETT

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when applying force of any kind (you must find the most efficient way for that medium)air has a poor transfer of energy (big slow moving props work best)ducts are usally comparably smaller than props and induce a considerable amount of drag.thier purpose however is to increase the speed of air not efficiency.compairing apples to oranges.but fun to think about.(what if you put a prop in a venturi)