Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Wild Hare EXTRA 300 28% and MT57 CN

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Wild Hare EXTRA 300 28% and MT57 CN

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:02 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wild Hare EXTRA 300 28% and MT57 CN

ORIGINAL: soarrich

ORIGINAL: skiman762

Soon the first batch of engines should be airborne and we'll get some more data to compare
Hopefully Soarrichs engine isn't a fluke and they all run that good, rocket pull out on a 22 lb plane it must have way over 30lbs of thrust to do that
Just a quick note, I measured 33 pounds of thrust today with my MT57, I'll give details later today, got'ta do wife's"honey do's" now.
Thats just crazy power!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:20 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the mounting template I made, cross referenced to a DA's mounting. I have this in PDF if you want it that way PM me.

More info to follow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38555.gif
Views:	26
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	924780  
Old 04-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich,

You're going to drive some poor guy nuts with all that pipe work you're doing. The first person that installs a set of pipes on the engine thinking he's automatically going to obtain the same numbers you do in a basic bolt on application will end up having tizzy fits. A fair number of people don't know that they have to experiment with the length of the header and the prop after flying the engine to tune the pipe for the best performance. You just know they will bolt it all on and come up with issues if they don't understand that. When the pipe hits it's sweet rpm it's completely different than when it's run up on the ground.

Wait until you come up with some basic numbers, prop sizes and types, and header lengths before you share the starting points.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:48 PM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Share all you want with us Rich, if somebody doesn't like it, they can unsubscribe. There is very little information on this engine right now, I'll take whatever I can get

John
Old 04-07-2008, 09:52 PM
soarrich

I went out today to test tuned pipes and mufflers, the picture is what I took with me.

The guys in the south can't relate to this, but it was so cold I kind of did it more quickly than I would have normally.

I put a 22A on it, and a 11 inch header, then ran it I got 7500rpm. I then put 3 pipes on it and got 7560, 7530, 7500rpm. Clearly I don't know how to set up a pipe, I put a Toro lawn mower muffle, $5.00 at Lowes, on it to see what I got, 7020rpm and good muffling. Then I pit a canister on it 7200rpm, nice sound, and a lower idle. I forgot to take thrust readings, I had it hooked up, I think the noise just had me rattled. The noise at 7500rpm is physical, and I think most of it was prop noise, it hurt.

23A Vess With the KS4 076 60 muffled pipe I got 7400rpm and 33 pounds 12 ounces of thrust, with the MTW TD 75 k canister I got 7200rpm 31 pound 6 ounces of thrust. It was loud, but not physical like the 22As sound.

23B With the same pipe I got 6700rpm with 31 pounds of thrust, much quieter, the canister gave me 30 pounds of thrust at 6650, sounded nice and mellow.

I never got to test the two stock mufflers, the EZ connector broke on my throttle servo, and I was really cold from standing in 34* temps with a 100mph wind blowing on me.

The pipe was causing what seemed like a high-speed miss, clearly caused by not knowing how to set up a pipe because it wasn't there on the open header run or the canister runs. I'll work on that, it's not the engine, it's me.

I'll fly it with the 23A & B with a pipe, I think the B will come into it's own in the air.

Name:	Lj23561.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	924816  
Old 04-07-2008, 09:57 PM
soarrich

ORIGINAL: Pat Roy

Rich,

You're going to drive some poor guy nuts with all that pipe work you're doing. The first person that installs a set of pipes on the engine thinking he's automatically going to obtain the same numbers you do in a basic bolt on application will end up having tizzy fits. A fair number of people don't know that they have to experiment with the length of the header and the prop after flying the engine to tune the pipe for the best performance. You just know they will bolt it all on and come up with issues if they don't understand that. When the pipe hits it's sweet rpm it's completely different than when it's run up on the ground.

Wait until you come up with some basic numbers, prop sizes and types, and header lengths before you share the starting points.
Pat

I saw this after I posted, you described me to a"T", I don't know sqat about this, I just threw it on and hoped for the best. Now I'm going to be picking brains on pipe set-ups.[X(]
Old 04-07-2008, 10:11 PM
3DNutZ

Lots of good info Rich, I wish you had run the stock muffler too. The little Toro muffler looks very restrictive
Old 04-07-2008, 10:17 PM
skiman762

Well I'm sure they tune alot like glow pipes this is from Macs

Run the engine at full speed, open-face (with nothing attached to the exhaust, although this may not be possible with some engines whose carburators require muffler pressure, in which case we have actually hand-squeezed a sealed fuel tank). Next, put the full-length header and tuned pipe on the engine and run it. If the RPMs are less than the open-face reading, cut 1" off the header (1.5" for engines over 1 cubic inch) until the RPMs are above the open-face reading. Then cut the header .25" until maximum RPMs. Or, when the next cut causes a decrease in RPMs, this is the best tuning length for static and vertical performance (fun flying, aerobatics and hanging it on the prop).

I have read in several places you have to tune for each prop you use meaning you can't tune to a 23x8 then switch to a 22x10 and get the same performance you need to start over with a new header and tune it again
but it looks like you have enough data to pick a prop for that plane
Old 04-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

One other thing to chime in here while all the testing is going on.

Unfortunately doing all of this on the ground doesn't help much. You can get a really high number but it's soo peaky it's unusable. Much like Pat said I think there is a way to do it.. but it has to be done in a more usable way. The main way is to focus on the stock muffler.. thats what people will be most interested in. Most people who are looking at a pipe have a good idea of what type of power increase they can expect in the useable length that isnt extremely peaky.

You would be further ahead testing a wider range of props. Vess have tremdous thrust and spin high Rs but as you found out they are loud as heck! It would be interesting to see a Mezjlik 23x8 on stock muffler... maybe a Xoar 23x8.. Menz 23x8 some of the most common props. Don't get me wrong.. I am not knocking Vess.. on my 3W-85 5he difference in pull out and Rs was huge vs. a Xoar.. but it was so loud it became a Fun only prop.

just my 2 cents.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the stock mufflers coming with the Chinese engines are really loud. More of an exhaust diverter with a spark arrestor in them. Abel muffler work about the same way. For cost reasons alone, most that will decide to use pipes will go to basic cans to reduce noise for field restrictions and contest use. Those that go with tuned exhaust/cannisters will have to go through the header/prop tuning process themselves to some extent. The most you will be able to do for them is to provide a general starting header length with a given cannister. I'm going to venture a guess of 12-13" for the header, but it could be a bit more than that.

In cutting the pipe, I don't like big cuts. 1-1/2" cuts are a good way to go well past where the performance band would have been. Once you pass the right length you have to replace what you've taken out, and that can make for a pretty long coupler. The big deal is what will happen in the air. What you have on the ground could sound real good and have great thrust but in the air the pipe can "get on the step" and become a new animal in a heartbeat. The transition can become quite rich or the jump from low to high rpm can be extremely dramaticm making speed control an exercise in futility. Remember the days of the ducted fan jets and the .60 pattern guys?

Dick Hansen is The Man when it comes to pipes. Very few have the amount of experience and understanding he has in this area. He has more areas than just pipes, but I'll stick to pipes for now See if he'll let you pick his brain about pipe set ups.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

I'm happy with the numbers posted for rpm and thrust. Now I would like to see some tracking numbers from Larry.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:09 PM
mistydee0
My Feedback: (103)

ORIGINAL: Tom in Cincy

I'm happy with the numbers posted for rpm and thrust. Now I would like to see some tracking numbers from Larry.

Tom, Your engine is going out in the morning.

Larry LS PRO ENGINES

AIRBORNE RANGER
Old 04-08-2008, 06:42 PM
3DNutZ

ORIGINAL: mistydee0

ORIGINAL: Tom in Cincy

Tom, Your engine is going out in the morning.

Larry LS PRO ENGINES

AIRBORNE RANGER
Larry, did the engines come in?
Old 04-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

See--- ask and ye shall receive
Thanks Larry
Tp
Old 04-09-2008, 10:28 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to clear up some things...

I spoke with Tomy Shen today about the mix-up on the two engines I received, and he confirmed the following.

He was short of engines and since I was getting two engines and planning to go to Toledo he thought it would be OK to send me one non-operational engine. But he did not tell me about this in advance and he only marked "Show" on one box. The boxes were all torn up when they arrived, parts sticking out of holes, etc. Since I did not expect the engines to be different I didn't see the notice on the nearly destroyed boxes, I was busy checking to see if they had been damaged.

By the time I had inspected them they looked the same to me and the boxes were gone, so I had no way of knowing they were different. I ran both engines for a short time and they ran fine. It was just the luck of the draw that Pianori got the bad one.

Tomy is taking care of this through Larry and I am out of the loop, I just wanted the conspiracy theorists to know that there is no subterfuge going on, it was just an honest mistake compounded by language difficulties and rough handling by the shipper.

Wild Hare, for the moment, is no longer involved with importing the MT-57, Larry is now the exclusive agent in the USA.

Tom Fawcett
Wild Hare R/C
Old 04-09-2008, 04:11 PM
mistydee0
My Feedback: (103)

R/C TOM,
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry LS PRO ENGINES

AIRBORNE RANGER
Old 04-14-2008, 03:59 PM
pianori
My Feedback: (2)

I just received the new MT-57 from Larry. I will be installing it soon so that my testing and reporting can continue. I also received the Vess 23-A prop which I will be installing and comparing to the Xoar 23x8.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:36 PM
pianori

Well I have not been posting lately as I was out of town.

I received the new engine form Larry and I can already tell the difference. I must say that Larry was very courteous and prompt in sending me the engine. Thank you Larry! No weird sounds when turning over. Some of us are wondering about the weight of the engine as well as its individual components. In light of that I am posting some educational pictures. The scale reeds in pounds, and ounces. So if the scale reeds 3.7 that is 3 lbs and 7 oz for a total of 55 oz.

67 oz Engine + Mufler + stand offs + Vess Prop + CDI
58 oz Engine + Mufler + stand offs
55 oz Engine + stand offs
3 oz Mufler
3 oz CDI

Name:	Wu62162.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	931067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19615.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	931068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99670.jpg
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	931069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17599.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	931070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99622.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	931071  
Old 04-22-2008, 09:58 PM
scottr/c

does anyone have the a mounting diagram for the mt 57?
Old 04-22-2008, 10:28 PM
soarrich

I drew this up. If you print it out measure the scales on the sides to make sure your printer is printing it full size. I added DA50 mounting makes on it too, some planes have the firewalls marked for the DA so line those marks up and the MT57 lines up.

Name:	Cz79997.gif
Views:	19
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	935002  
Old 04-22-2008, 10:42 PM
tomyrcmodels

mounting diagram for the MT-57CN, all number are mm, not inch

Name:	Db83839.jpg
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	935008  
Old 04-23-2008, 09:02 PM
scottr/c

thanks guys i sould be getting my motor and my wild hare extra 300 on friday. i cant wait every time its like be a kid again getting a new plane and motor but its a shame why i have to get one. i crashed my goldberg edge monday afternoon i just lost it in the shadow of the sun in a flat spin. ooopppssss. theres pics of it under carl goldberg 77".i have to tell anyone that it is a treat to work with larry from lspro. i had some problems with my paypal and he was right on it.i order the motor at 6 in the morning and he was call me letting me know there was a problem by 8am. he takes the worry out of not buying a name brand motor and giving this one a chance and im not one to take chances. thanks again. thanks for the diagrams.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:49 PM
soarrich

I just checked Tomy's drawing againist mine for the mounting, my crank center line is about .050" to much toward 4:30, but unless you're the one guy in the world that's going to mount the engine with the cylinder going up you'll have to flip his drawing 180* or you're not going to be a happy camper!
Old 04-24-2008, 02:40 PM
pianori

Great! It seems that you to will have the same combinations as I. My plane is ready for now. I am just waiting for the weather to clear here. We have been hit with a few storms lately. Now it has cleared but the winds are high and gusty.
Let us know of your efforts and if you can post a picture or two of your setup. This can be fun.

I am currently working with a canister muffler set up. I will first fly it with the regular muffler and then I will start experimenting with the canister. We will see what happens.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:57 PM
scottr/c

i will put pics up for sure. let me know how that canister goes for you.i im gonna do the same but i really dont know what im doing and theres really not to much info yet about this motor out there.i dont suppose u have some pic of your setup you used on your plane?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.