Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

64a vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:12 PM
whatwind
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 64a vibration

just got around to installing the 64a I got at the begining of this year the first time I started it it had a lot of vibration at mid range. I will admit that the first batch of fuel i mixed up I didn' t check my can very good and had some gunk in it that got into the carb before I could shut it down. I had primed the carb and it fired right up and sucked the stuff into the carb. I cleaned out the carb and re worked the fuel system. got the fuel system working right started it agan the vibration at mid range more like it was trying to jump off the table I brought it back to idle I let it run for a few a while because bolts and nuts were coming off the plane. The prop a 20/10 master airscrew clasic was and is balanced I noticed a scuff mark on the magnito put a gage to it on the prop flang 3 onethousand out at the scuff Is the master airscrew to heavy for the engine? the engine starts easy idles low throtle is great but do I need to send it in for a bent crank?
Old 04-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 64a vibration

You''ll have to check the engine carefully to see if there''s something bent. If something was bent, though, you''d see high vibration levels at all RPM settings. Operation in the midrange can produce rougher running on some engines. It depends upon the propeller and the mixture setting. It may also be that the structure of the model really isn''t up to a large gasoline engine. This is more common that some may think...especially if the airplane''s being overpowered.