Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah G20 prop and rpm numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Zman39
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah G20 prop and rpm numbers?

I am thinking of putting this engine in a bird I already have but am needing to figure out if it will have the gusto. I was hoping some people here who have run it or seen it run can give me an idea on what prop and rpms they have gotten on this little gasser.

Thanks

Z
Old 06-13-2008, 07:00 PM
surf

Default RE: Zenoah G20 prop and rpm numbers?

Ok, I'll bite, what's the plane?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Bill Martins

Zman,

Not sure what you are looking for, by your avatar pic I see you like to hover. I had a Zenoah 20cc in my Funtana 100, would hover at 10 pounds but did not have pull out authority. I was running an APC 16X4 prop, I never did get RPM figures. Tried an APC 16x6 but it was too much for the engine.

It went vertical fine from horizontal flight, in other words as long as you were flying with some speed it would climb under full throttle with no problem.

If your plane can weigh in around 9 pounds, you should probably have fun.

I did replace the ignition with a CH ignition and the motor was as smooth as any I have seen or run. The stock ignition is horrible, pulls 2 amps at full throttle!

Have you purchased the engine yet?

If your plane is heavy over 10 pounds up to 12 pounds you should consider a Brillelli 26cc (scottellingson.com). Probably the most powerful 26cc available. Price is comparable to the Zenoah 20cc.

If your plane is 9 to 10 pounds, you might consider the CRRC 26cc from RCOnlySite.com $210.00 including shipping. I have one on my Funtana 100 and it flys it very well and pulls out of a hover with ease, vertical is outstanding. Running an APC 17X6 prop, tached 8400 WOT. I have 4 hrs of bench run time and 2 ten minute flights, but I love it already. It can only get stronger.

I just noticed you are in Florida, so is RCOnlySite.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Old 06-14-2008, 02:51 AM
Zman39

Thanks for the all the info Bill! Very much appreciated. With the zenoah, I would probably be a little over 9 pounds, so you answered my questions. I will look into the crrc, sounds interesting. I had my hands on the zenoah at the LHS today but decided to come home and post this thread before purchasing it.

Bill, I just looked at the crrc motor, looks great. The one thing I need to know that they dont list is the measurement from backplate to front of thrust washer. I need to see if it will fit within the cowl on my plane. The cowl isnt adjustable so hopefully it is close. Anyway could you measure that, a rough number would be fine, doesnt have to be exact.

Thanks again
Z
Old 06-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Bill Martins

Z,

I'm at work until 7 this evening. I will be able to measure the motor then and post result.

You might call one of the CRRC 26cc distributors and see if they have it. One is PRCmodel.com (Canada), another is valleyviewrc.com, and one more RCOnlySite.com

Hope you can get info from one of these, I know you are ready to buy an engine.

I will check this thread before I go home and if you have the info I will not measure mine (it's inside the cowl, I should be able to get a reasonably accurate measurement).

Bill
Old 06-14-2008, 12:16 PM
at6man
Banned

Zman
I am flying a 13 lb Texan with the crrc 26 engine and it pulls it straight up, Lots of power and reliable. Never had a deadstick. The settings were dead on right from the factory. I am in Delray and there are several other club members using this engine with great results. The distributor for the engines is out of south florida also. rcomlysite.com
Old 06-14-2008, 08:20 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

G20 with RCexl ignition running on 90 octane unleaded pump gas with Bel Ray MC-1 mixed @ 50:1 ratio spinning a Xoar 15x8 @ 8200 rpm = approx 11.3 lbs of thrust.

Karol
Old 06-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Bill Martins

Z,

CRRC 26cc measure back plate to front of thrust washer = 3 3/4", with standoffs it = 4 1/4".

Hope this helps.

Bill
Old 06-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Zman39

Bill,

Thanks a lot for that measurement, helps a bunch and I think I can make it work. Will probably get one ordered Monday. Any particular prop you fund to be a good match for it?

Thanks
Mike
Old 06-14-2008, 09:58 PM
at6man
Banned

Zman
I have over 30 flights on mine and itjust keeps on getting better. several of us at our field have been using a crrc 16/8 prop with great results, They look like carbon fibre and sell for around 8.00 They are available through rconlysite
Old 06-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Bill Martins

Z,

I will agree with AT6 man as he and his fellow fliers have more experience with this engine than I do. By the way those are good looking props.

Bill
Old 06-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Zman39

Thanks again guys, hopefully the engines are in stock!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:46 AM
arobatx

oops...posted in wrong thread