Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

How are all you MT57 users making out?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

How are all you MT57 users making out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are all you MT57 users making out?

Had the first flight on my Sukhoi the other day with the MT57. Impressed with subsequent starts (2 flips) , temperature was 180ish and dropped to 160 after only a few minutes. I can't won't comment on power just yet, I am running an MTW75K cannister and I'm very rich, 16oz 32:1 is good for 6 minutes

I do have a good vibration around 2600 RPM or so, makes the can shake pretty good, other than that it runs very nice. I'm sure being so rich is not helping.

How is your's doing?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:14 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: How are all you MT57 users making out?

yep,i have a little vibration between 2000-3000, it is more notice when i was running a tuned pipe.now i am running a pitts muffler[:@] until i can get a new pipe. and this time i will try a 15" header instead of a 11" as recommended by Pe,that is with a MTW pipe,he said there will be a big difference in performance.
also i was getting a little fuel spitting out the carb but a new set of reeds from Larry fix that problem.
mine starts easy also,two primer flips and one ignition and it's running.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Hughes500E

This must be the quietest gas engine ever.......
With so many customers world wide, I find it hard to believe none of them have heard of RC Universe!

Old 08-28-2008, 06:23 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

I took mine out of a 21 pound Yak 54 and put it in a 17 pound WACO bipe. It's really too much engine for the bipe unless I'm going straight up any more than half throttle is making me nervous of tearing the wings off, I've added flying wires to help keep the wings on. I have a MT header and canister on it, it sounds good. It seems to like the 23A Xoar prop.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:21 AM
arobatx

Soarrich, how is the flex header holding up? Did you run the engine without the exhaust setup first to see what your gain was? I may try one of the header/can combos, let me know what you think of it.

Chad
Old 08-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Hughes500E

The header and can is definitely a good price. I'll be trying the XOAR 23A on mine this afternoon!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:29 AM
arobatx

I'm just not a big fan of the flex header material, I've yet to see one that really lasts. I heard a rumor though, that this one is pretty tough, so I thought I would ask...let me know if any of you have some time on one.

Chad
Old 08-28-2008, 04:03 PM
soarrich

No problems with the header yet, I don't expect any, this is not flex gas line that it looks like.

I don't do rpms anymore, in the spring I did that and got really big numbers on rpm and thrust, then could not reproduce them and looked stupid. I turns out it was too winding to fly, so I did rpm and thrust test, you will get great readings in the wind even a small amount of wind throws the numbers way off. Now I use the tach to peak the engine, but I'm not overly concerned about the number, I just want to maximize it. I've found that some props that got great numbers didn't really fly the plane well, and other props that didn't get great numbers flew very well.

I'm running the canister which I'm pretty sure cost you about 200 rpm, but is half as loud as the stock muffler. I don't like loud engines, so some performance penalty is OK with me. I haven't run a pipe since the spring when I did the rpm and thrust test, it was too loud for a enjoyable time and that is what I'm looking for, not to scare the deer and geese out of the park.

I've got about 15 gas engines, 5~6 that I run a lot, in the last two years doing gas I've learned a few things:

Fly the prop before you praise or rag on it.
Piston port induction engines ALL need a velocity stack, reed valve engines don't much care if they have one.
Baffle your cowl for better airflow through the engine's fins.
Keep the carb out of the slipstream.
Keep the prop tip speed down below 450 mph, which is about a 23 inch prop doing 6600 on the ground, after that they get noisy quickly.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:17 PM
soarrich

Old 08-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really good post Rich. I haven't been able to run mine since I broke my Stinger before I got a chance to fly it. I did get to run one tankful fthrough My 57 and what I seen was very promising. I have an Aeroworks Pitts Python downstairs waiting for it, but I'm in the middle of home renovations and I doubt I will get a chance to build it before winter sets in. I am hoping to try and get it done though as I really want to test this engine properly.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:07 AM
Hughes500E

I managed to get one flight in this afternoon. The XOAR 23A is a nice prop. I am still rich but the vertical was impressive!
Hoping for better weather this weekend!
Old 08-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Hughes500E

Well, two more flights between rain today. I leaned out the bottom end with good results. I have not yet leaned out the top. Still on 32:1 with the XOAR 23A and its impressive with this 15Lb airframe. It's not excellent but impressive. Comments came in pretty much non stop, nice quiet sound, good vertical etc. The 23A is turning at 6420 RPM. Tomorrow I'm going to do some thrust tests!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:49 PM
pauldo

I have an MT 57 in an 87 inch Sukhoi. I am running a 22 x 10 3W prop. On first run, with standard silencer, it got 5500 RPM. Tommy suggested that I advance the timing, as the early motors were supplied with incorrect timing. I advanced it as much as as I could and got 6600 RPM. I have since installed an MT canister, and am now getting 6400 RPM. a 200 drop, but a lot quieter. To date the engine has had about 6 runs. Viabration is moderate, and as mentioned on this post, it is most noticable around 2500 to 3000 PRM. It will idle smoothly at 900 rpm - very nice.

The engine runs very nicely. I plan to try a 23" prop as this engine is supposed to have torque and like the bigger props.

Has anyone adjusted their timing. If so, have you measured where you are with it. I think mine is at about 35degrees. At the recomended 30 degrees, revs were at about 6000 on the above prop. I would like to advance further, but would need to make a clamp for the sensor. I did expect a little more from this engine, when comparing to other 50 cc motors. Maybe further timing advances will help.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:18 PM
mistydee0
My Feedback: (103)

pauldo
You can go to 35 degrees with no problems. Check with you dealer for a replacement Hall Sensor that will give you the proper advance. He can get them from Tomy free of charge to give to customers. I have supplied them to all my customers that felt they needed them. You will get a small drop in RPM with the can but the response will be better in transision and it should not be
noticed in the air.

Larry
LS PRO ENGINES
USA Dist. for MT Engines
Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Hughes500E

Hey Paul,
I had to adjust my timing as well. Full advance with stock bracket dremelled out is around 28 degrees. I received the new sensor and opted not to use it. Sounds like we are getting close to the same numbers. I'm on my 2nd gallon of fuel at 32:1 and I have not adjusted high speed needle for full revs!

I am enjoying it though. Going to go for 50:1 and lean her out after this next gallon. A thrust test with the XOAR 23A produced 26Lbs, no problem with vertical power and she weighs in at 17 Lbs on a digital scale not the 15 that I proclaimed earlier.
Time will tell for quality etc but right now shes just an average 50!

Old 09-11-2008, 04:05 AM
tomyrcmodels

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7bLPSPKINg]MT-57 BENCH TESTING IN CANADA[/link]

different prop make huge different rpm . I should get one vess prop to try . it's pit that vess did not have 24 size prop . I think it will be better pull than 23A
Old 09-11-2008, 07:20 AM
Airnondas
My Feedback: (6)

MT-57 brand new out of the box.

Top flite Giant scale P-51 Mustang

Wood 20 x 10 prop 8,000 rpm, 1000rpm at idle.

Maiden run for plane and engine.

The first video is take-off,... then Low-pass....... and the third, Landing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLeuhaMC-ek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8qlNSYCofI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEOX3M4ZqXI

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34255.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	1030740  
Old 09-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Hughes500E

Tomy:
Don't get confused between the Vess and the XOAR. From what I have read the Xoar is a much more aggressive prop.
It is interesting that Ray and I are getting the exact same RPM reading but I'm running a 23A, would be interesting to know how much thrust that makes!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:25 PM
mistydee0

Airnondas,

WOW!!!!!! Thats really cranking. If that was taching 8,000 on the ground it was doing every bit of 9,000 + on the downline
Tomy will have a heart attack when he see's that low pass. Hope it stays together. HA! HA! So much for breaking it in!!!!!! HA! HA!

Larry
LS PRO ENGINES
USA MT ENGINE Dist.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:01 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

well i got a surprise email from Tomy one day stating that he thought he could get more RPM's out of my 57.so off to china the engine went back,i will do or try most anything for more power.so time will tell, when i get the engine back i will let you guy's now if it was worth the hassle.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:07 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like the MT line of engines is doing good. I have not seen any in west Michigan yet...but maybe soon. Best regards capt,n
Old 09-13-2008, 12:59 PM
mistydee0

Airnondas
I was talking to tomy last night and he said that you should increase the pitch to a 20x12 or 20x14 for speed. The engine
will handle the high pitch and the speed will not be lowered. You may even gain some speed and keep the engine healthy. Everone I spoke to that saw the clip thought it was a good commercial for the engine staying together. A lesser engine would be in the junk pile running them rev's. I love speed and I am almost tempted to put one of my MT57 in my P51 It will take a lot of retro fitting to do it as It has a Quadra 52 in it now. Plane is over 20 years old.

Larry
LS PRO ENGINES
USA MT Distr.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Airnondas
My Feedback: (6)

Go for the MT-57,... you will love the sound and performance.

I am going to go for one of those racing prop from APC that they use in the Texan class racers.

Airnondas
Old 09-14-2008, 07:51 AM
mistydee0

ORIGINAL: Airnondas

Go for the MT-57,... you will love the sound and performance.

I am going to go for one of those racing prop from APC that they use in the Texan class racers.

Airnondas
Ralph Cunnningham likes that APC racing props. They use them on the flying team that he is involved in. Jeff told me you are using a slimline pitts muffler on that engines and it is still noisey at them RPM. I guess power is the quotiant of noise.

Larry
LS PRO ENGINES
USA MT DISTR.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Hughes500E

I guess power is the quotiant of noise.
A lesser engine would be in the junk pile running them rev's.
Quit with the shameless plugs! Your efforts are transparent and why the heck are you not running one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.