ZDZ 40 Bing to Walbro Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 01:42 AM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZDZ 40 Bing to Walbro Conversion

Hi Guys,

I received a used ZDZ 40 recently and have had 2 failures out of 10 flights so far and am hoping that this conversion will solve my problems.

RCS sent me the Walbro but forgot the adapter plate. I was wondering if somebody could give the thickness of that plate so I can get a head start on my new throttle and choke linkages.

Does anyone have any photos or tips for installing the Walbro carb on the ZDZ 40.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2003, 01:53 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forgot?
As I recall- they do not offer an "adapter plate .
The reason being that the carb has the pressure pickup on the opposite side and the adapter plate is a bit of problem to make .
I think RCS does -tho, make the conversion - if you send in the engine .
The best way to convert it is to have the backplate removed and redrilled --
I have never seen a deadstick problem caused by the Bing - -so your plroblem may be elsewhere --
the Bing - does have problems with pumping - in some cases -but outside of that -is a good carb.
You can make an adapter if you study the passage positions needed -- then make a plate from aluminum and add some gaskets - a bit of work but not impossible -- an alternative is a piece of hard maple --it is a very good material for this type application - I have done other setups making maple adapter blocks
Old 05-21-2003, 02:29 PM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dick,

Thanks for the reply.

Right from the start I had fuel draw problems. I took apart the carb with no fault found and put it back on the engine. it then started and ran fine. I had 5 good flights and on the 6th it died at about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle in level flight. After my repairs I had more fuel drawing difficulties but finely got it started after about 15 minutes of flipping. I proceeded to have 3 more good flights then another failure under the same conditions. This time only a broken prop.
The engine idles fine, top end seems good and transition is good. In other words it runs fine until it quits. I was listening out for sagging in the climb to identify a lean condition but it seemed fine.

Anyway, I didn't want to fly again until I've at least done SOMETHING and I had heard that some of the Bing carbs were problematic.