Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

tank/vent setup using gas engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 06:25 PM
ShoestringRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tank/vent setup using gas engine?

I am putting a zdz 40 in a mustang. How do I set up a vent line being as I assume there is no pressure tap needed on the engine/muffler.

Also what is a good refueling setup? I got one of those quick valves that I plan on using. What do you use for your gas setups for vent lines and refueling?..thanks
Old 05-22-2003, 09:38 PM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

Hello Shoe. You are right that no pressure tap is needed. On most set ups you can hook up your fueler in line to the carb and simply run your vent line straight out the bottom of the plane. I use a little different set up so I don't need a fueler, "T" in the line to the carb or a hole in my pretty cowl. I use a three line system. I position my tank stopper where the 2 open holes are on the top and where the indention for the third hole is on the bottom & open it up. On the two top holes I install my brass tubing with the inside ends turned up for vents and on the bottom I run the line straight to the carb. The 2 vent lines I run down to the bottom of the firewall and solider 2 more brass tubes to a small brass plate (brass door hardware works great) and install the 2 vent lines from the tank there by attaching the plate to the bottom of the firewall allowing the 2 tubes to extend a little below the plane. By doing this I can fill & vent from either line, I don't have to worry about fuelers sucking air or failing and my cowl doesn't have that eye sore on the side of it. The complete fuel system is unseen but can still be easly filled from under the plane where the 2 brass tubs will be sticking out. The down side to this is the plane must be turned upside down in order to de-fuel it but if your like me, at the end of the day theres not alot left to defuel. I have a home-made PVC stand I leave at the field just for cleaning & defuleing. This is about the simplest and trouble free fuel set up I can come up with and it has never let me down so I stick with it!!
Old 05-22-2003, 11:03 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to keep it simple. I do it the same as rsrogers. It's the best way to go.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Two set ups, I go for the three line also.

The B&B fuel fitting works well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	80792_80.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	47543  
Old 05-23-2003, 11:30 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

RSRogers,
That is awsome, nice and simple. Gotta flip the plane to clean it anways. Do you run the fuel out of the engine when you are done?
Regards,
RickP
Old 05-23-2003, 04:31 PM
Jemo

I don't defuel or run the engine out.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:45 PM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

I usually defuel my plane. My "hanger" is a 12x16 out building so if I keep gas in them in the summer the fumes kinda get to me. The good thing about gassers are you don't have to defuel them if you don't want to. As for running the engine dry I don't. I have found that leaving whats in the carb there the pump diaphragms don't seem to dry out and last much longer.
JEMO a friend of mine uses the Hayes tanks similar to the ones in your drawing and uses the 3 line system but what he does is use the top hole to fill. By doing this, once the fuel runs out the middle hole no more can come out unless you keep pumping it in there, you wont have to use a plug - you know those things we loose in the grass!! He uses slightly larger tanks (few oz.) because he doesn't get a completely full tank but his set up basically works just as good. He's very fond of the Hayes tanks so thats his solution!!

Keep'm Off The Ground!!

Steve
Old 05-23-2003, 05:00 PM
Jemo

Yes, thats a good idea to switch the vent and fill, but I still plug my vent so I don't drip any gas in my van. Sometimes I happen to end the day and have a lot of fuel or a full tank. The planes sit kind of nose down and will leak fuel if I don;t plug it.