Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New DA100 or BME105?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New DA100 or BME105?

IFFFFFf, we flew IMAC just like the full size guys and where Judged just like the full size guys we would not need so much power

Though Matt and his Cap is getting closer power wise as us

Randy

Originally posted by flynbrian
My dad fly's full scale aerobatics in advanced. It has alot to do about energy management but you have to compare the sequences that they are flying.
The Intermediate (IMAC) is almost the same as advanced (IAC).
The advanced (IMAC) is almost the same as unlimited (IAC).
The unlimited (IMAC) is way harder than the (IAC) unlimited.
(IAC- is the full scale aerobatic club.)

Some of the maneuvers would put too much strain on the pilot and the airplanes would stall and fall out of the maneuver.

They have made the sequences hard because almost everyone is flying a "overpowered" airplane.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:42 PM

Kris that would be great... but first <MY OPIONION> your going to have to get someone to limit airplane/engine size in basic/sportsman to make it work.... like I said My Opionion

Randy

Originally posted by Kris^
Two words. . .ENERGY MANAGEMENT

The FULL scale guys, with about a .7:1 thrust:weight ratio can do it at 6000'+. . .and with a 1.5:1 or better T:W ratio WE complain???

PUHLEASE. . . .

We even go outside THEIR "box" when doing rollers and IMAC sequences. . sounds like some people need to knuckle down, accept the limitations of their planes, and FLY.

I've done every Advanced sequence I have ever tried at half-throttle settings or less. . . just to see if it could be done (maybe not in the middle of a contest, but at least at my home field) In fact, I'm going to go out and practice today. . with my poor lil' ole BME on my Fiberclassics. It's fun to do, and teaches you a lot about your flying and the planes limitations.

Energy Management. . . .
Energy management. . . .
Energy management. . . .

That's the full-scale pilots credo. . we could learn a lot from them.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lower classes can get away with energy management. However, because of the complexity of some of the vertical maneuvers, including some very tall maneuvers, it becomes a power management issue. If it really is about energy management, why haven't you flown your Advanced sequences at half throttle during a contest?
Old 06-01-2003, 07:18 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

hehehehe. . .I usually DO fly the sequences at less than 3/4 throttle, hardly ever going to full throttle except for a vertical snap. Seems even my lowly BME can haul the freight with this Fiberclassics 330lx, so why bother?

Last year, running a 3-blade on a porky 44 lbs DR109, I NEVER used full throttle while flying a sequence. . .it just was not necessary.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:54 AM

On Aircraft International's web site here are the specs for the 106:

-106B2

Cylinder Capacity 6.47
Power Rating 10.3 HP
Bore Diameter 1.73
Stroke 1.30
Weight 6.0 lbs

10.3 HP Not 9.3 HP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2003, 01:36 AM
Banned

uh . . 3dnfool. .hate to break it to you. . but a 106 with tuned canisters, swinging a 28" prop at 6500 rpm. . .MIGHT be putting out 7.5hp. . . maybe. . .possibly. . with sufficient imagination. . . on a REALLY good day. . . . . . . . . .

Tests by independent companies have revealed about 11 hP from a 3W 150, and about 10.5. from a DA150, when spun and loaded down in the RPM area tehy usually see max output. . 6200-6500 rpm

HP claims form manufacturers are just a bunch of bogus number slinging. . the numbers sound good, but they just aren't putting out those kind of HP numbers in the rpm range where we fly them. . sorry.

NOW. . if you spin them another 50% of rpm. .they might just make those numbers, but about then you are going to be watching the jugs come flying off as the rods fail or a piston cracks, and NO ONE props a 3W106 with a 22" prop, do they?

I didn't think so
Old 07-10-2003, 02:45 AM

kris, i scratch build imac planes myself. where are you getting your cowls/canopies for a dr109/extra 260? inquiring minds would like to know. thanks, toby....
Old 07-10-2003, 02:50 AM
Banned

I'm making my own molds/plugs at the moment, from vastly "bashed" versions of certain pieces. The new DR109 pieces will be totally proprietary, shaped based on the 3-views supplied by Rihn aircraft. The pieces for the 260 will be slightly enlarged and reshaped pieces from the old "Pirate" 38% 260. . the cowl wider, with PROPER panel lines instead of those silly 'pintripe tape' lines, the canopy slightly larger as well.