Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

O.S. 1.60 fx: Break-in??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 11:19 AM
Ziggy27111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. 1.60 fx: Break-in??

I have a quick question for you guys. I have read the manual for my new o.s. 1.60fx as I am nearly ready to break it in. However, there is one thing I am confused about.

If I can recall correctly, (I don't have the manual here at work) it states to set the high speed needle 2 1/2 turns out from the fully closed position. Then, I believe it says to run the engine at a rich "4 stroke setting" then alternating to a "2 stroke setting."

Here is my question, is the rich 4 stroke setting 2 1/2 turns out from the fully closed position? I would think this would be really lean. If it is not, how do I go about finding this elusive "4 stroke setting?"

Sorry for the lame question, but I am really confused. I have plenty of positive experience with .40 to .90 size 2 stokes, but these manuals have never mentioned the rich "4 stroke setting" like the 1.60fx. Thank you for your help!!

Ryan
Old 05-28-2003, 11:51 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your .40 to .90 size engines were most likely non ringed. Those engines (non ringed) should never be ran in the elusive four-stroke setting.

The OS 1.60FX is a ringed engine and most definitely should be ran as rich as possible, at least for several tanks of fuel.

There is a difference in sound between the two-stroke setting and the four-stroke setting that is fairly easy to detect, even for the uninitiated.

The four-stroke setting simply misses a beat and fires every other revolution, or a reasonable approximation. It is much lower pitched in sound, for a given rpm. Four-stroking a ringed engine is a good thing. You cannot do too much of it.

Four-stroking a non ringed engine is bad in most cases, you should never do it.

Four-stroking a ringed engine helps seat the ring for a good seal and long life.

I would try to follow OS's instructions to the tee, BUT, if you must err, err on the side of being too rich with this engine. You won't hurt a thing if the needle valve is set at four turns open instead of two and a half.

Needle valve settings are dependent on tank height to provide the amount of fuel intended. If your tank is significantly lower than recommended, you may have to open the needle valve even further than those recommended. Always err on the side of being too rich, never too lean. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:53 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Start the engine with OS's initial setting recommendation.

2. When you get the engine started adjust the high-speed needle valve counter-clockwise until you detect a change is sound -- you have reached the 4-stroke setting.

3. Run the engine at full throttle with this setting for about 16ozs. If you want run an additional 16 ozs (I have found this uneccessary.)

4. Start the engine again and adjust the needle valve until you hear a change from 4-stroke setting to 2-stroke setting (still keep it very rich).

5. Run engine for approximately 10-15 seconds at the 2-stroke rich setting and then adjust needle valve back to 4-stroke rich setting.

6. Run engine for approximately 10-15 seconds at the 4-stroke rich setting.

7. Repeat steps 4 & 5 until you have finished the 16oz tank. Your engine is now sufficiently broken in to optimize the high speed needle setting to a slightly rich mode.

8. Start the engine and adjust the high-speed needle valve for maximum sustainable rpm. When you get there immediately back off, richen, approximately 400rpm.

9. Follow instructions to adjust the idle and repeat 8 if necessary.

NOTE: IMHO, this engine does not like synthetic oil-only fuel. I have seen others take the opposite position but I have burned up one of these engines with just one lean run on Coolpower. When I got it back from Hobby Services, they replaced cylinder and ring, I repeated my break-in with Wildcat Xtra Premium 15% and have been running that combination every since. This engine purrs like a kitten at idle and roars like a lion at full throttle. It can load up if allowed to idle to long and will require an electric starter on the 1st flight of the day. Every other flight of the day only requires a single back flip of the prop against compression with your fingers on the spinner.

ENJOY!!!!
Old 05-29-2003, 11:25 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW,
I could never get this engine to "sound" like it is in 4 stroke mode. Just seems to keep on beating no matter how much I opend the NV and witnessed the raw fuel spilling from the exhaust.
One tank at WOT in a rich setting seems to do the trick.
RickP
Old 05-29-2003, 05:58 PM
Ziggy27111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for all of the GOOD information. Everything is so much clearer now and I feel much more confident when I start to break-in this engine.

In all honesty, this is just like the other smaller engines I had since they were all ringed. They were the Super Tigre .45's .75s and .90s. Great engines. I love them! In the past, I basically broke them in the same way as the manual for the 1.60fx recommends: Run it rich and slowly lean out. However, I have never alternated between the rich and lean settings with the S.T.'s and never read anything in the manuals about "4 stroking" a 2 stroke engine when breaking in. Oh well.

Anyway, it all makes sense now. Thank you all for your help. It is appreciated!

Ryan