Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Anyone switch from G23 to G26?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 06:09 PM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone switch from G23 to G26?

I've got roughly a gallon through my G23, and it purrs like a kitten. Runs truly magnificent. But it's in my H9 T-Craft, which is 15lbs, 5 oz. It's a lot to drag along.

Lawnboy ashless 40:1

APC 16x8 or MA 16x8 - 7900 - 8000 rpm
APC 17x6 8100-8200 rpm

The result is that it lumbers a bit to get off the ground (I fly off grass) with a very shallow angle of ascent. With the 16x8 it will not quite do a loop from level flight, falling out near the top. With the 17x6 it will make the loop, but the slower flying speed is a little low and worrisome.

I'm thinking about installing a G26 instead.

For now, ignoring the ads from Horizon that claim 800 rpm on a 16x8 APC and/or 25% more power:

REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE?
Has anybody pulled a G23 and installed a G26 in a similar plane? Was it really worth it? Will I really notice the difference if I were to do it?

I can easily sell the G23, or more likely, since I love the way it runs so much, I'll likely save it for something a little bit lighter.

Looking forward to any experiences you might have with both engines to compare them.

THANKS!
Old 05-28-2003, 06:54 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

I just yesterday converted a G23 and a G26...the 26 is at least 800 rpm stronger with the same props as the G23...A spring scale shows 17 1/2 lbs pull on a plane with a G26 for power....Most of the G26 conversions run 9000 rpm with a Mejzlik 18-6 and no muffler...A Slimline Pitts muffler on the G26 cuts rpm to 8500 with the Mejzlik...The stock muffler runs 8200 rpm with that same prop...I have not tested any APC props...I have flown G26 on a 14 lb extended wingspan Joss Stick..It will hold the nose vertical for a long time, but will not quite pull out of it....We're still evaluating props to find the best combination...The Master Airscrew Scimitar style seem to work really well, also the PK Pro 17-8...
Old 05-29-2003, 03:57 AM
RCAddiction

Default G23 --> G26

Thanks,RCIGN1. I'm fortunately not worried about hovering, but loops would sure be nice!!! Actually, I have a BME 44 laying around.......but too big for the T-Craft....

On the G23, I am running a Bisson inverted muffler, which sounds nice and is alleged to be less restrictive than the stock muffler. Wow, an 18x6 at 8500 with a muffler is pretty impressive.

Do you recall what your G26 is turning that PK 17x8?

BTW, the Horizon tech guy I talked to this morning thought that the G26 was only turning about 500 rpm better than the G23. 800 is pretty decent.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:05 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Don't remember, it wasn't my plane..The plane belongs to a friend in Phoenix..He broke the prop last week but is trying some other sizes.....I can test a PK 17-6 tomorrow, will post the results...
Old 05-29-2003, 04:35 AM
RCAddiction

Default G23-->G26

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2003, 10:10 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Default G-26

Lee:

I have a post in here "Owners of 26's"...check it out..I had to send mine ( G-26) back to Horzion Hobbies....It wouldn't start..Tried to start it by hand and only started once..tried for 2 1/2 hrs to get it started,and it was a no go...An electric starter would of helped,but none available..Will call them up today and see if they have resolved the problem....Called RCIGN (Ralph) and he has a block that is better then either the Tan or Black one, (The block goes in between the carb and engine),so I ordered one....will keep you posted on the results...I have 2 G-23's and both are sweet running engines..never encounter any problems with these engines ,like I did with the G-26..BTW,the mounting holes on the g-26 are differnet than the G-23.....About 1/2" diff on 2 holes......One more thing..when I did get it started the one time,was swinging a Zinger 16-8 prop and was only getting 7400 rpm..sounded real sluggish ......good luck
Old 05-29-2003, 02:45 PM
RCAddiction

Default G26 thanks!

Jimmy,

G26 DIMENSIONS
Thanks for the heads up on the dimension for the mount. Of course Horizon said that everything is 100% identical when I called! With my cowl already perfectly cut for the velocity stack on my G23, I was concerned if the G26 would line up or not. They said yes. Is everything else really the same?

G26 OWNERS THREAD
Yes, I did see your thread on the G26. Interested to see what happens at Horizon. BTW, I'm on my 2nd tan block with my G23, having replaced it before I even ran the engine due to the cracks everyone has experienced. No problems since, and I was super careful the second time while tightening it.

The cracked block is simply a material selection flaw. They use what appears to be a laminated phenolic. I've used this in fabricating prototypes for consumer heating appliances (wafflemaker housing, etc) in a prior life, maybe 10 years ago. It's got very good temp resistance, and it machines well, but is not suited for this application because of the laminations. The screws securing it to the engine and carb pull in opposite directions, so it will naturally tend to pull apart the block at the laminations. My first one came apart at the stress riser at the sharp base of the machined counterbore for one of the screws. Pretty predictable.

Jimmy, looking forward to your results!
Old 06-01-2003, 07:56 PM
aitchie

G 26

Hi Lee

Have a look at this site http://www.flymodels.co.uk/
The guy has installed a G26 in a Sopwith Pup! look for the link
"What was on the building board yesterday" it will probably interest you.

Ron
Old 06-01-2003, 09:46 PM
RCAddiction

Default G26 vs. G23

Ron,

Thanks very much for the link. It was indeed pretty interesting. I noted his modifications to block direct airflow at the carb diaphragm hole as some others have done.

Seems that his G26 is getting 7100 on a Menz 18x8, where he was getting 7000 on a 17x8 with a G23. Very healthy improvement indeed. I'll probably see what I can get with a 17x6, and try to get the rpm up closer to 8500-9000 if possible.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:45 PM
psavagerc

Default RE: G26 vs. G23

Another Tcraft that seems to lumber into the air. I have had that lost feeling of no power as well. We have 2 in our club up here in Alberta and they both have there little things about them. I went from as used g23 to a new one ( They actually had one left ) and it made a great difference. Mine will pull a loop but it takes some practice The other Tcraft went from a G23 gas to a G23 Glow and it made a huge difference it will pull loops and any other maneuver that would be considered scale for that aircraft. ( Allot of people seem to think that the Tcraft should fly like a Sukoi) I am getting about 8400 RPM out of my G23 with 16 8 Apc I think you should run Your G23 longer and see if it picks up It may need more than a gallon to truly set it self up.

Let me know how things are going its interesting how much variance there is in the same product.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88233.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	61371  
Old 09-14-2003, 10:17 PM
RCAddiction

Thanks, but no longer an issue since I swapped out my G23 for my BME44. which was designed for planes in the 15-16 lb range. My T-Craft is 19 lbs now with smoke system and full body pilot and flies really well.

While some people like "scale" flight, many who saw/flew my plane noticed it to be underpowered. Besides, I'm not especially interested in "scale flight" (often a euphemism for "underpowered") if it means the plane is at risk due to insufficient power to recover from an oops. Besides, the particular Clipped Wing T-Craft that this was modeled after was used as an aerobat, not like a Cub.

Personally, not having some power in reserve with the G23 made my plane feel dangerous to fly. At least to me. I was surely going to crash it since I didn't have enough to pull out of mistakes. I decided I was not going to continue to risk it just to wait for the engine to break in and develop more power.

BME44 with smoke is really cool. No, it will not fly like a Sukhoi. Has about the same getup and go as a .40 trainer on a 46FX. And lands about as nicely.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:30 PM
psavagerc

No problem at-least now you can enjoy the Tcraft the way you want to. The great thing about this hobby is that its all about choice sometimes good sometimes bad.

Pat
Old 10-26-2003, 07:42 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

All,

I ran the G26 RC Ingnition converted for me for the first time in the air yesterday. WOW! On the ground, just before the maiden flight, it was turning 8550 with an APC 17x8 prop. Sweet little engine!