Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Needles, Can't Get To Them

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 08:52 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needles, Can't Get To Them

With the Supersonics installed on my QS106, it's darn near impossible to get the low end needle adjusted
Can't fit a screwdriver. I've been able to get a small pair of needle nosed pliers in there with limited success while the cowl is on. What kinds of gadgets are you guys using for getting to the needles? Thanks_bob
Old 05-31-2003, 09:26 AM
fryfly
My Feedback: (8)

best way is to cut them down short and then use your dremel to cut a new slot in the end for your screwdriver. I also use a long piece of brass tubing 1/8 th inch and flatten one end and it makes an excellent long screwdriver for those hard to reach spots.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:35 AM
bob_nj

Default Dag

I'll wait until I need to pull the cowl and mufflers then. With the weather here, it's best to fly as much as you can between the rain showers. It only rained twice here last week though. Three days the first time, and four days the second It only rains during the day too. Usually on the weekends. You know what comes after two days of rain, Monday...
Old 05-31-2003, 03:19 PM
fryfly
My Feedback: (8)

EXACTLY !!!! Well don't feel bad because the weather here in Michigan is terrible !! either raining or too windy to fly,one of these days summer will hit- - - hopefully soon!
on a lighter note I have had to do both my 85 and 106 the same way so just to let you know your not the only one.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:07 PM
bob_nj

Default Still Raining, BUT...

I belong to one club in the area where it doesn't matter what time you start in the morning. I had 3 flights in this morning and was home by 08:00 Had several suggestions about getting to the needles. The two best for me were using hemostats, and cutting the lo end needle down and re-slotting it with a dremel. The hemo's worked ok until I had to make several adjustments time after time because of the weather and humidity. Finally got fed up, pulled the cowl and one muffler, cut the needle and viola! All is well. Thanks and can't wait to see our "star" again_bob
Old 06-08-2003, 12:10 AM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Hi Bob,
The idea above is a good one. You can flatten down a brass tube on one end, and also bend it in a way that gives access to where you can get to it. You can even go in through the intake ducts if you have to that way.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:58 AM
bob_nj

I'll give that a try. Putting the cowl back on now and will let you know. Oh yeah, it finally stopped raining
Old 06-08-2003, 10:19 AM
Flyin Woodbutcher
My Feedback: (3)

Bob I have a 3W 50 with supersonic muffler, I could not get to the neddles on this either. A poor design maybe. I took the muffler off and put a dent in it with a 1.5 inch pipe about a 1/2 inch deep, this gave me plenty of clearance. I also have a 3W 150 that the neddles were hard to get to , I sent the standard mufflers back and used a tuned pipe, cannister set to solve this problem.

Kent
Old 06-08-2003, 04:19 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Default QS 106 Needles

Here is what I did.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	84757_2181.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	48663