Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Checking for Spark on ZDZ 80

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 03:30 AM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking for Spark on ZDZ 80

I'm having trouble with my ZDZ 80 with Falcon ignition. Shouldn't I be able to see a spark at the plug when I pull the prop through? I don't think I'm getting any spark. And yes, I did cycle the switch once per minute. This is a new engine. The battery is fine.

Tom
Old 06-01-2003, 11:51 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default spark

Yes, u should be able to see the spark if u r inside, ie your shop but, if u r outside u probably won't see it.

MIke
Old 06-01-2003, 01:48 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure your grounding it out, I think you have to hold it onto the engine... At least that is how I did mine.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:21 AM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

John,
I think it is actually grounded through that shielded cable. I hope so since the engine is only attached to the wood structure! I didn't see anything that said the engine had to be grounded to anything.

Tom
Old 06-02-2003, 11:34 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

quick procedure -
remove plug -- twist sparkplug lead upside down and drop in the plug.
turn power on (use ONLY 4.8 v power - nothing else!)
rotate prop slowly and listen for a small click each time magnet passes under pickup.
plug gap -not critical around -.020-,025
Use ONLY factory suggested timing.
The only problem we encounter with these engines now --is fuel delivery to carb and this is typically either user induced -or - a carb which is not pumping (rare.
The user induced problem is typically removal of carb and improper gasket installation / longer mounting bolt/ reversed throttle plate rotation etc..
Old 06-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

One more thing to check. My case was probably an oddball occurance but its just a quick check.

On my ZDZ80, I noticed that the small spring inside the plug cap did not reach the spark plug when the outer housing was fully seated. I called Mike Dooley at RCS about it but before he returned my call, I went ahead and stretched the spring a little with a pair of needle nose pliers. Mike had not heard of this happening before either.

Anyways, the engine runs very well now. I'm only on my 5th gallon and already the cleanup on my 30% Edge takes one sheet of paper towel. I like gas engines
Old 06-02-2003, 08:24 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good point -tho I have not seen this -I always checked to see if there is a teensy bit of "springy feeling as I insert the plug cap into the lower socket .
Also - the Brisk plug is a hair shorter than the NGK-so this will change the compressed spring length.