Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Need advice on 35 cc US Engine - crank update

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Need advice on 35 cc US Engine - crank update

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 03:49 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice on 35 cc US Engine - crank update

I picked up a 35 cc Quadra (US engines) from a friend of mine the other day. It's got a broken crankshaft, but he just gave me the engine. I went to Tower Hobbies and looked at their parts listing for this engine. They said that their was a running change to the 35 and 41 cc Quadras. The crankshaft is now bigger on the back end it sounds like:

US Engines had made a running change in the rear crankshaft size making it bigger in diameter. This spring starter is for the new version, and it will not fit the older version. The new one-way bearing inner diameter is approximately 12mm. **update- a pitts style muffler is now coming with the motor instead of the black muffler pictured in the catalog.

So, do I need to buy new bearings and seals as well as the crank? Thanks for your time.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:35 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Deadeye,

If your engine is a Quadra, we don't know if we can help you. We have no idea about parts compatibility between the Quadra engines and the current US Engines.

The new cranks fit in the older US Engines versions, but the shaft where the spring starter mounts is larger on the new ones.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:20 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your fast response, Bax. I was unaware there was a difference between the two. The guy that gave it to me said there wasn't. Is there any defining mark I should be looking for in order to tell? I see no manufacturer name. But there are a few things I can read:

1) flywheel is a REPCO and it says 'made in the USA' on it.
2) Serial number is 382613
3) carb is made by WALBRO
4) the bottom of the crankcase has 'made in Canada' stamped in it.

Now I read on another thread, that Quadra's were made in Canada before US Engines bought them out. Should I assume from the crankcase markings that it is indeed a Quadra?

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If your engine was made in Canada, it's likely a Quadra.

We're not familiar with the lineage of the U.S. Engines. The exterior similarities may be because the raw castings came from teh same source, but U.S. Engines hasn't had anything to do with the Quadra engines.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:57 PM
NavyE6FE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Help

Deadeye, get a hold of Dave Reid at Reid Model Products www.reidsmodels.com or B&B Specialties www.bennettbuilt.com
They will know what you need. I bent the crank on my US 41, my LHS got me a new one but the backend of the shaft was the bigger size and the machining on the shaft is different too, you will probably need a couple of brass spacers. Dave knew what I needed and has been very helpful with other problems I've been having with the engine.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:03 AM
naefha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not a problem. The Quadra 35 and 42 is the same main engine as the US35 and US41. There are some manor differences, like the crankshaft end is one of them.
The only thing, what you have to do is to order a new spring starter assembly with the crankshaft, then you are fine.

Sincerely,

Hanspeter Naef
US-Engines, Inc.
400 Cheryl Ave.
Mechanicsburg, PA 17055
Tel 717 343 1529
Fax 717 796 0208
Email: [email protected]
[URL=http://www.us-engines.com]