Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New Brison vrs. Old Brisons

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:10 AM
donoisten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Brison vrs. Old Brisons

Hi,
I'm looking into an 50cc. motor for my new Sig sun dancer. It will be my first gas motor, but I'm not new to motors in general. I've been looking at fpe, and also the china made motors. I just want something that will run with out the headaches.

I know of the older brisons was great, but the new canada ones? not sure!

suggestions will be great... Also, I have to go with smoke with this model. So that is another factor...Paying $600.00 bucks for a motor, then have to fork out another $100.00 plus for another muffler!....[&o]

Thanks,
Don
Old 12-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New Brison vrs. Old Brisons

I can't give you anything definitive sabout the new Brison engines buy if you wanted an older one with mechanical advance I could help you out.

There's no need to pay extra for a smoke muffler on a gasser. All the muffler needs is a fluid nipple. The companies selling a smoke specific muffler for gassers have been screwing people for as long as they've been selling them. Gassers run a lot hotter than glow and do not ever need a pre-heater or smoke coil.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:51 AM
waynebang

I have two of the Area 51 motors at $399.00, why pay $600.00 for a Brison. I have had the Brison and I would take the Area 51 50cc over it. More power, better throttle, and no headaches.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Tired Old Man

Better throttle and headaches? You must be referring to the new Brison line because the old Brison never had any of those problems. Ever. I'm in the process of shipping one of the old Brisons with Syncro spark to a friend and I have no reservations in doing so. I have one of the old mechanical advance versions left and aside from Taurus there's not a mechanically better engine made.

Your lack of engine experience was made quite clear in your post.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:07 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

my Brison 3.2 from 2000 is a great motor and those Brison ruled back then,,,,,,,,
Old 12-23-2008, 01:36 PM
gadix
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DA50;DL 50 IS OVERPOWER - BUT MORE POWER IS MORE FUN
EVOLUTION 45 WILL BE GOOD TOO
Old 12-23-2008, 04:41 PM
donoisten

ORIGINAL: gadix

Hi Gadi,
Are you saying for the Sig Sun dancer, That these higher end 50cc motors will be over kill? I know that a lot of people have said that an 50cc will give the model unlimited performance.! Do you have one of the Sun Dancers?

I was, may still be thinking of getting a used Brillelli 46cc GT. Anyone think this motor will give me great performance, or just be OK...performance......

Thanks,
Don.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Tired Old Man

Great performance. Because a bipe has a lot more wing area power to weight ratios are modified substantially. The Sundancer has more wing area for it's size and weight than most know what to do with. Proportionally up there with a Giant Aeromaster.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:21 PM
GreaTOne_65

Seems you gentlemen keep frogetting there is another Sachs-Dolmar based engine manufacturer out there, Fox Manufacturing. I have both, the price on the Fox is a bit more, but it's more than made up for the ingition system, and the Fox warranty. The Cimmaster ignition lasted 40 min. on the Brison and died, I had a CH laying on the bench so I replaced the Cimmaster and the CH has been running for 3 yrs. As for the warranty, the Fox was installed in a TF Mustang, in the process of tuning the engine, it overheated, and siezed, so I sent it back to Fox and they repaired and sent it back for a measly $65 bucks! Fox is worth the extra money, in more ways than one.

MHO, for what it's worth,

Dale
Old 12-24-2008, 01:14 AM
Tired Old Man

See, there ya go talking about the new Brison line again. They shot themselves in the foot when they changed to the cheaper Cimmaster ignitions. The old Brisons are still running as good as the day they left Gary. Gary was the same way on warranty work. He'd take care of you then like DA does today. But that was then and this is now. As far as American engines in the 2.4 class you only have 3 choices, Fox and FPE being two of them. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the third.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:03 AM
gadix

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig

if this the model u got than u dont need a powerfull 3D 50cc gasser!!!
the evolution 45 or the DL45 are more than enough

i have a GP pitts with brison 2.4 which great - just too heavy engine!

see the DL45:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Ignition_3kw_+

Old 12-24-2008, 06:37 AM
donoisten

[link]http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/IndexText/FSIGRC89ARF.html?E+Sig[/link]

This is the model from SIG. I know that I really don't need a Big 50cc. motor to haul this puppy around, but it don't hurt to have a little extra power left, when you had smoke, maybe 1 1/2 lbs added to the model wet?

I did not know of an dl45! very interesting!!! I'll have a look.

Thanks,
Don.

Here is a pic that I found on line of the plane..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41247.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1095643  
Old 12-24-2008, 07:00 AM
donoisten

Well, I looked.. It says that it a FTL45. could be the same company as DL, who knows what the hell them guys do over there! But in the add for the motor this guy says its a good motor......Here's what he had to say.........

Customer rated
5 Stars make your review
FTL45
Clay Kahoun
I recieved the FLT45 in les than two weeks all the way to Crystal Lake IL USA,The motor looks good and cant wait to run it. I have one problem that the three bolts that hold the prop on two of them are drilled crooked. I e-mailed HC and I am waiting for the new hub. Looks good so far I will let you know how it runs.
Thanks
Clay

I just wander, If you cant drill and tap a hole straight..[X(]... Then what else.. they even advertise gaskets, and main bearing!! I don't mind tinkering with something, but come on....My field that I fly at, Is surrounded by corn fields, If you have a dead stick!!!! chances are you are in the corn....... corn just loves to eat air planes....

Thanks,
Don.

My club, Good thing about it, Once every 4 years they have to plant beans..[:'(]
[link]http://www.tulipcityairforce.com[/link]
Old 12-24-2008, 09:49 AM
gadix

i had a DA50 on my pitts - with smoke and it was too much power - i had truble of engine tork that gone when i installe dthe brison 2.4 - 39cc with smoke

yes - lots of power with the DA50 - we did 3D with my pitts at the time

but now with the brison 2.4 - it is pure scale sport plane
so i u put a 42-45cc it would be perfect! add or reduce just will make it worst.

enjoy
Old 12-24-2008, 05:07 PM
scott h

i just bought a cinmaster revolution 52 cc late fall that i have not run yet i know some of the older ignitions were in a metal case. they gave me what they said was there newest one it is black model ptp 108 i hope this isnt the one that went bad on you great one 65. thankyou. scott. ps it says revmaster on the new ignition box and has no hold down tabs
Old 12-24-2008, 08:33 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: donoisten

ORIGINAL: gadix

Hi Gadi,
Are you saying for the Sig Sun dancer, That these higher end 50cc motors will be over kill? I know that a lot of people have said that an 50cc will give the model unlimited performance.! Do you have one of the Sun Dancers?

I was, may still be thinking of getting a used Brillelli 46cc GT. Anyone think this motor will give me great performance, or just be OK...performance......

Thanks,
Don.

-

The Brillelli 46cc engine is a good engine, but it is not in the DL50 class powerwise. It is more comparable to a Zenoah G45, except much lighter.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-24-2008, 11:27 PM
GreaTOne_65

scott, I have to tell the truth, it's been 3 yrs. since I've looked at that ignition box, as I remember it looked a lot like the CH box red letters and all. If I were in MI. right now I would run out and check it, but I'm in AZ. so running out to look at it is a bit difficult, sorry! I do hope the one you have does the job for you.

Dale
Old 12-25-2008, 07:38 AM
scott h

thankyou for replying great one 65 ,yes they musthave changed the ignition.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:16 PM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Better throttle and headaches? You must be referring to the new Brison line because the old Brison never had any of those problems. Ever. I'm in the process of shipping one of the old Brisons with Syncro spark to a friend and I have no reservations in doing so. I have one of the old mechanical advance versions left and aside from Taurus there's not a mechanically better engine made.

Your lack of engine experience was made quite clear in your post.

Lack of engine experience, I don’t think so,.

You are talking about a man that is retired from deigning and building planes for 20 years at one of the major RC plane manufacturing companies, And yes he is a good friend of mine, Have known him for about 12 years

He was flying gas engines before most people even knew they existed, When all you could get was a sack’s dolmar conversion engine, Some ran on gas and some on Glow

Has more trophies setting on shelves and hanging on his walls from his racing day’s than most of us could dream of winning,

Yep, He has no experience of gas engines

Milton
Old 12-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Tired Old Man

Wrong in the experience area but absolutely not worng about how well the older Brison engines ran and still run. Even having a Brison engine he clearly did not have much knowledge in that area. The new ones may be problems but the old line most certainly did not. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone using the original Broson engines that will have anything bad to say about throttle response, hard starting, rpower, reliability, or any other factor normally associated with a quality product.

You can know him as well as you want but he doesn't know Brison engines. That was made very clear in his post.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:41 PM
waynebang

Tired old man, you cannot have run very many engines and believe that mechanical advance is better than electronic. The new engine put out tons more horsepower and do have better throttle. If you just putt around the sky this does not matter. I liked my Brison when it was new but it is not in the same class as new motors.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Tired Old Man

Electronic advance provides a zero, nada, zip, power differential over mechanicsal advance if the mechanical linkage is set correctly. I've run hundreds of gassers, how about you?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:59 PM
waynebang

I was not talking about power with the advance, just throttle responce. Yes the new breed of engines, not just Brison, Da, or Area 51, have more power per CC than the older engines. They will turn more prop at more rpms. I have run enough gas motors through the years to watch this happen.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Tired Old Man

OK, would you care to explain to us all how a mechanical advance, which is accurately advancing the ignition from the moment the throttle is moved, is less linear and/or less smooth than an auto advance ignition which reaches full advance much too early for the throttle position? This presumes the mechanical linkage is adjusted correctly.

I hate to tell ya, but I've got some piston port 50's that will run side by side or better than a DA. Two of them happens to be old Brison's. I've never had a DA at the fields equal them in pull or throttle response. One's mechanical, the other auto. The Taurus beats the DA and we'll see how it stacks up agaisnt a couple of the others.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:33 PM
waynebang

motors must run better in California.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.