Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Area 51 or DL-50?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:37 AM
RodanAZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Area 51 or DL-50?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an Extreme Flight 50cc Extra, and have narrowed the engine choice to the DL-50 and the Area 51.
EF offers a pretty good package deal if you buy the Area 51 with the Extra.

I've read lots of info on the DL, and wouldn't hesitate to get one; I'm wondering mostly about the Area 51. Is there any reason to pick it over the DL??

I have heard that the Area 51's exhaust bolt pattern is slightly different than the DL/DA, so pipes have to be modified, but other than that, I haven't seen a lot of info...

Anyone had both? Have any input?

TIA

Old 01-16-2009, 09:50 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Area 51 or DL-50?

Had a con rod bearing failure on my Area 51.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:15 AM
RodanAZ

Thank you! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:43 PM
JoeAirPort

No problem.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Taildragger726

Agreed, I have had both. If the package deal appeals to you, by all means go with the Area 51. Great engine!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Guys this is more an engine question so I am moving it to the proper forum.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:34 PM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rodan;
Before you make a decision, hear what a good buddy of mine is going thru withhis A51. He bought his motor shortly before I bought my DL-50. I put mine in a WH Sukhoi, he bought a Aeroworks Extra. Regardless of the type airplane we both stated to break in our new motors. He, maybe, a tad harsher than I break in my motors but not much different. Out of nowhere his motor blew a conn ros bearing. The plug showed signs of hot and lean running. Meantime, my DL is running like a SINGER. He send it in for repai under warranty. A week and a half later he gets it back repaired. Flies his plane and, bam ! Again, Motor fails. Not exactly clear what went wrong this time, but it died. Milton, from RC Extreme Power sends him a brand new motor, right away. No flying done with that motor, yet. We 'll see soon, whether the first motor was just a lemon, or there is a problem related to quality or other issues. In the meantime my Dl-50 keeps on truck'n, getting better with every tank. I don't want to bash the A51, but why is this happening-twice?
Old 01-16-2009, 10:48 PM
RodanAZ

Thanks for the info. That's the first negative experience I've heard regarding the Area 51, so it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue. Most importantly, RC Extreme Power stood behind their product and that means alot to me. I know, from what I've read, that the DL has similar product support.

Hopefully your buddy just got a bad unit, and the new one will be trouble free.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:53 PM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

Not to bash anyone, but wouldn't the plug showing hot and lean running be operator error?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 PM
FLPilot
My Feedback: (23)

I have two (2) Area 51's, could not me more pleased. Sold the DL.

They have been flawless from day one. No issues whatsoever. I am running Pennz Air Cooled 32:1 Works great !

How about some details on your friends issue. What oil, what mix, break-in procedure followed?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:17 PM
JoeAirPort

Mine blew a con rod bearing after going from Pennz 32:1 to Mobil 1 Racing 2T 50:1. I'm pretty I didn't blow it up myself. Anyway Milton repaired it for the cost of parts.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:50 PM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

Every engine line will have a "lemon" in the group sooner or later. It sounds like Virginians friend got one for sure. It was cool that Milton stepped right up and replaced the motor. Honestly , that's the first bad thing i have heard about the motor.....but on the other hand , Milton is supposed to be a really good guy and stands behind his products. I know DL USA does the same thing as well. I don't think you could go wrong with either motor to be honest. And how can you argue about the price?....both are priced extremely low price for what you get.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:18 PM
powerlines

AREA51 all the way. It has huge power compared to my ZDZ50

LATER
Old 01-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Eagleburger

I got both, they both run well. DL has more power and is lighter. If I was to buy another it would be a DL.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:00 PM
thevirginian

ORIGINAL: flatspinjim

Not to bash anyone, but wouldn't the plug showing hot and lean running be operator error?
Normally yes. But I know he had carburator problems with his first engine and Mitlon sent him a new carb. He couldn't get the carb to idle correctly. Now, with the new motor it seems to be the same issue. We tried to tune the carb but it would not run smoothly. My DL-50, on contrast, runs absolutely flawlessly. There is no question that Milton from RC-Extreme Power is more than responsive and backs up his product. The Area 51 also looks solid and has a rather expensive look. I myself like it as well and can't believe it would not live up to it's expectations. So far the engine ran thru its third tank and is hangin in there.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:06 PM
thevirginian

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Mine blew a con rod bearing after going from Pennz 32:1 to Mobil 1 Racing 2T 50:1. I'm pretty sure I blew it up myself changing oil and running it lean. It ran great before the oil change. Anyway Milton repaired it for the cost of parts only. I thought he was pretty fair. It ran great before changing oil so from now on it's Pennz 32:1. I should be fine.
That's exactly what happened to his motor. He broke it in on LawnBoy, not Pennsoil. But he then switched to Mobil 1 and the conn rod bearing went south. I told him break in with Pennsoil and then go with BelRay, like I do with all my motors.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:41 PM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: thevirginian

Mine blew a con rod bearing after going from Pennz 32:1 to Mobil 1 Racing 2T 50:1. I'm pretty sure I blew it up myself changing oil and running it lean. It ran great before the oil change. Anyway Milton repaired it for the cost of parts only. I thought he was pretty fair. It ran great before changing oil so from now on it's Pennz 32:1. I should be fine.
That's exactly what happened to his motor. He broke it in on LawnBoy, not Pennsoil. But he then switched to Mobil 1 and the conn rod bearing went south. I told him break in with Pennsoil and then go with BelRay, like I do with all my motors.
Holy crap !! Looks like I will not use the Mobil 1 in anything now. Amazing. I didn't think I'd see anyone with the same exact problem. I now know of three people that have had the same exact failure.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:53 PM
thevirginian

Good idea. I wouldn't take the chance either. My BelRay is serving me so well, I don't even think of changing the brand. I am almost certain, that the Area 51 is not to blame. The engine looks solid, feel solid and runs solid. I remember it was the same scenario with a MVVS 26 another buddy of mine fried, using the "wrong" oil he was told afterwards.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:35 PM
marios k

This is the good buddy as I was called by the Virginian . Yes ! I did burned up 2 area 51 engines & I believe is due to fact that my break in procedure was wrong .Running them too hard & too lean because I wanted the best idle I could get from the start . I am also new to gas engines I have more experience with electrics & I burned a few of those also. Anyway I just returned from the field With 6 more flights on my Aeroworks extra 260 Area 51 on board , runs & sounds like a dream & getting better I just finished the 2nd gallon of lawn boy 30 to 1 Vess 23 A . It is also cold here in VA , break in was done at 30 to 40 degree weather may be that contributed to the failures .I would buy another Area 51 in a heartbeat because Milton at rcxp is a good businessman & the service he provided is exceptional ,by the way Aeroworks extra 260 50cc & area 51 is a perfect match a tad tail heavy good for 3D.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

Holy crap !! Looks like I will not use the Mobil 1 in anything now. Amazing. I didn't think I'd see anyonme with the same exact problem.

PS: I was going to use up the rest of the Mobil 1 in the snow blower, lawn mower, and weed wacker. Maybe not a good idea.
Come on guys, the Mobil Racing 2T didn't cause your engines to blow. Not adjusting your needles after the switch is what caused it..... I've got 85 gallons thru my DA 100 on Mobil Racing 2T and it purrs like a kitten..... No carbon build up in the exhaust at all. It's been my experience that when switching from a break in oil to Mobil, I normally have to RICHEN the hs needle a bit. I hate to see Mobil discontinuing it. It's been my favorite oil for the past 3 or 4 years.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:41 PM
SIX GUNS

hay guys i'm new to this site
I have run gas engines for a little while and not had any problems like what you have got going on I have been
using amsiol and have had very good luck with that
but can any one awnser a question ? how long has the DL50 and aera 51 engines been around I have not seen them advertised any placed except on RCSB and here on RCU is there a main distributor some where?
they look like a good reed style engine . it would be nice to take one apart and look in side to see what they are like inside ???????????

JIM
Old 01-24-2009, 05:37 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Nogyro

Holy crap !! Looks like I will not use the Mobil 1 in anything now. Amazing. I didn't think I'd see anyonme with the same exact problem.

PS: I was going to use up the rest of the Mobil 1 in the snow blower, lawn mower, and weed wacker. Maybe not a good idea.
Come on guys, the Mobil Racing 2T didn't cause your engines to blow. Not adjusting your needles after the switch is what caused it..... I've got 85 gallons thru my DA 100 on Mobil Racing 2T and it purrs like a kitten..... No carbon build up in the exhaust at all. It's been my experience that when switching from a break in oil to Mobil, I normally have to RICHEN the hs needle a bit. I hate to see Mobil discontinuing it. It's been my favorite oil for the past 3 or 4 years.

Yup, the Mobil 1 2T doesn't burn as much as most other fuels (although it burns less than Belray H1R, which doens't burn at all) => a few % less "fuel" (gasoline plus the combustible portion of the oil) mixing into a set volume of air will make the engine leaner, even if the oil ratios are identical.

It is always best to tweak the needles after every major change, eg oil type or ratio, prop size, airframe, or environmental conditions to find the best settings.

Sixguns, welcome to RCU. The DL-50 has been on the market for a 2-3 years and the Area 51 for maybe a year less. Both are good especially for the price. I believe, from the engines I have seen, the Area 51 is a bit higher-quality overall. I had a DL-50 however and it ran great. Both are cantilevered-crank, rear-intake, reed-valved 2-stroke engines. The Area 51 I saw had about the best throttling characteristics I have seen in a 50cc engine, bar none.

There are a couple of threads here showing a complete teardown of the engines.

On both of the engines, most of the bugs are worked out now and both will serve you well.

For the DL there are several places: www.dlusa.net , www.valleyviewrc.com , and a few others I can't remember now. Definitely buy from one of these domestic vendors instead of through some drop-shipper on eBay, just in case there is a problem.

For the Area 51 there are a few vendors but Milton is the exclusive importer and he is a great guy to deal with, about as honest a person as I have ever dealt with. His website is http://www.eflighthobby.com/Engines.html . Another dealer of his is www.flyitlikeitsfree.com , and extremeflight sells them as well, http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/...s.html#Engines . For what it is worth Extremeflight ONLY carries products they believe to be the very best available, and they stock the Area 51.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:32 AM
SIX GUNS

BTERRY THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE INFO AND I AGREE WITH YOU WHEN A MAJOR CHANG IS DONE LIKE OIL THERE NEEDS TO BE A CHANGE IN NEEDLE SETTING I HAVE ALWAYS CHECKED THE SETTINGS ON MY G62 BEFORE I FLY IF I THINF IT IS RUNNING A LITTLE LEAN JUST FATTEN IT UP A LITTLE . I'LL HAVE TO CHECK OUT THE WEB SITES ON THOSE ENGINES .YOU HAD SAID THAT SOME ONE BROKE DOWN THESE ENGINES WITH PICTURES ANY IDEA WHERE THAT MITE BE ? AGAIN THANKS FOR THE INFO

JIM
Old 01-25-2009, 12:42 AM
SIX GUNS

BTERRY, ANOTHER QUESTION ARE THESE ENGINES IMPORTED INTO THE STATES OR ARE THEY BUILT HERE IN THE STATES ?
Old 01-25-2009, 01:26 AM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

Imported from China