Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Super Tech Universal 2 cycle oil for air cooled same as Pennzoil air cooled???

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Super Tech Universal 2 cycle oil for air cooled same as Pennzoil air cooled???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Tech Universal 2 cycle oil for air cooled same as Pennzoil air cooled???

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

You guys didn't look hard enough if you didn't find the MSDS for the two.

Judge for yourself. I'm just adding fuel to the fire.[sm=rolleyes.gif]

[link=http://edfinfo.com/x/temp/MSDS_Pennzoil_Aircooled.pdf]MSDS Pennzoil Air Cooled[/link]

[link=http://edfinfo.com/x/temp/MSDS_Super_Tech_Universal_2_Cycle.pdf]MSDS Super Tech Universal 2 Cycle[/link]
Thanks,

You obviously have expertise that I (and others) don't have. Didn't even know what an MSDS is. I didn't know you could find Supertech through it. Too bad most of it is boilerplate.

Thanks again,

CR
Old 02-13-2009, 09:34 PM
jack1933

Default RE: Super Tech Universal 2 cycle oil for air cooled same as Pennzoil air cooled???

wHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY WITH THIS LAST POST? NO ONE CAN READ WHAT YOU HAVE POSTED. PLEASE EXPLAIN.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Charley

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

So rather than beat heads against a wall trying to figure out who makes what and how it qualifies, why not use something that you know works? Or is it that you might save 50 cents a bottle with the unknown stuff?

If it's about the money you're involved in the wrong endeavor and need to find something more inline with your long term budgeting......
Tom, there's no reason for you to be so confrontational. Or should I say downright rude?

CR
Old 02-13-2009, 09:57 PM
jack1933

Well you forced me to go to the shop and retrieve a bottle of Quicksilver. On the back lable are these instructions: first line: Provides excellent 2-cycle lubrication for all horsepower outboards and other 2-cycle water- orair cooled engines.

second line explanatin of the additives

third line says it meets the oil requirements of all outboards, personal watercraft, snowmobiles, motorcycles, chainsaws, and other water or air cooled 2-cycle applications that specifythe use of NMMA TCW11 or TCW-111 OR API-TC oils in either premix etc.

Now what other proff does anyone need in order to try this fine product?

Old 02-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Charley

Well, you have to believe what the label says. With all the advertising hype rampant in this day and age, do you believe everything a label says? But what would one expect the label to say?

CR

Edited to clean up the thread.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:09 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: joseph185

Ive used the stihl oil after about 10 gal I dissasembled the engine very clean internals just a residue on top of piston no scuffing of psiton or cylider walls no significant carbon buildup
Was it the Ultra? Or just regular? Did it leave any black oil residue on your plane? I like the Pennzoil air cooled but don't like the black specs all over the bottom.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:29 PM
jack1933

I would expect a reputable company like Mercury Marine to print the truth about a product that can be used in very expensive outboard engines, why don't you try it before trying to imply the company is using false info on the lable. Weak post.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:32 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: jack1933

Now what other proff does anyone need in order to try this fine product?
Here is some more proof (or justification anyhow): Quicksilver is about $18/gallon. It is cheap, readily available, and should work well most of us.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: jack1933

wHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY WITH THIS LAST POST? NO ONE CAN READ WHAT YOU HAVE POSTED. PLEASE EXPLAIN.
Jack I wasn't trying to say anything. I was just posting a photo of the back of the oil bottle in case someone might be interested. To be able to read it click on the photo and then click on the expand box in the bottom right corner of the photo. The text is crystal clear on my monitor. I bought this bottle after our phone conversation a few days ago.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:10 AM
BTerry

Anybody who is worried about black spots on the plane needs to (1) try Simple Green or another degreaser, and (2) try to run a model diesel engine. Those things are fun for the experience but the root beer colored castor oil slime is NASTY.

Joeairport, I like the Stihl Ultra in the white bottle, it is the fully synthetic version.

Last thing, MSDS's (and statistics) are like a bikini: they conceal more than they reveal. The viscosity at 100F is similar between the two oils, but the viscosity at 210F (actually 100C) would tell far more with respect to the relative mixtures of the oils.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:32 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: joseph185

Ive used the stihl oil after about 10 gal I dissasembled the engine very clean internals just a residue on top of piston no scuffing of psiton or cylider walls no significant carbon buildup

Is the Stihl oil that you are using synthetic or mineral based? TIA

Ed Cregger
Old 02-14-2009, 12:48 AM
ChopperMike

Only use air-cooled, and no oil rated tcw3, that is for outboard.

third line says it meets the oil requirements of all outboards, personal watercraft, snowmobiles, motorcycles, chainsaws, and other water or air cooled 2-cycle applications that specifythe use of NMMA TCW11 or TCW-111 OR API-TC oils in either premix etc.
OK, I'm confused. Which is it?[sm=confused.gif]

So rather than beat heads against a wall trying to figure out who makes what and how it qualifies, why not use something that you know works? Or is it that you might save 50 cents a bottle with the unknown stuff?
That's what I'm trying to find out. The airplane I'm building will be my first gasser and I don't have a clue what oil is best. Every oil out there claims they're the best, what it says on the bottle means absolutely nothing. As far as cost, I really don't care how much it is. The cost of running a gasser compared to glow means I wouldn't care if the oil was the highest price if it was the best. I'm just trying to figure out what that is.

Mike
Old 02-14-2009, 12:56 AM
BTerry

The truth is there are more opinions on oils in the forums than the combined total of opinions regarding politics, religions, which car is best, and which woman is the most beautiful.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:06 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: ChopperMike

Only use air-cooled, and no oil rated tcw3, that is for outboard.

OK, I'm confused. Which is it?[sm=confused.gif]

That's what I'm trying to find out. The airplane I'm building will be my first gasser and I don't have a clue what oil is best. Every oil out there claims they're the best, what it says on the bottle means absolutely nothing. As far as cost, I really don't care how much it is. The cost of running a gasser compared to glow means I wouldn't care if the oil was the highest price if it was the best. I'm just trying to figure out what that is.

Mike

With only six months under my belt as an RCU member I really confused about one thing. All this chat about the cost of fuel/nitro/oil. People are heading to the field with RC outfits costing from $500.00 to $7,000.00. It's a luxury and a hobby. Unless you are flying 80 hours a week what real impact is even $1.00 per gallon increase in the cost of fuel? Can you burn five gallons of fuel in a one day outing at the flying field? Is $5.00 going to keep you on the ground? Heck, skip breakfast.

Bill
Old 02-14-2009, 02:51 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you Ram Jet. You saw the meaning of my "rude" post.

Ed:

The Stihl Ultra is synthetic. You would be hard pressed indeed to find better.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:25 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BTerry
Last thing, MSDS's (and statistics) are like a bikini: they conceal more than they reveal. The viscosity at 100F is similar between the two oils, but the viscosity at 210F (actually 100C) would tell far more with respect to the relative mixtures of the oils.

Some manufacturers make their MSDS for the Brazilian market, but most are providing them to convents. It should be obvious that ±10% on an ingredient isn't very specific. Moreso the Oil ingredient is a mixture, not any specific base stock. However, when it contains only two ingredients and one is a diluent, you might think that the same viscosity prove they are the same. They are both inexpensive oils coming from the same place, the chances of them being the same are pretty high.

I know somebody that works at a lubricant supplier in the area. They pack the same 5W-30 engine oil into several brand name bottles as well as generics. My favorite is after a run of grease was packed the left over from pumping the new grease into the machine was collected. They want to make sure the product was 100% before they put it into a customers package. These various leftovers were then blended together and packaged as multi-purpose grease.

Others have made the point before that if you are using an oil that carries the proper certifications it will do it's job.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:46 AM
jack1933

Hi Ken, Sorry I did not know it was you. There are so many negative people on these forums. Please let us know how you like the oil.
Regards
Jack
Old 02-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jack, I haven't had time to try it but I will. Mercury Marine has been around for a long time and I have complete confidence in their products. I wouldn't use an oil that was only specified for TC-W3 but since they specify snowmobiles, motorcycles, and chainsaws I'm sure it is fine.

I have another good friend who runs it in his Brison 7.4 (they made one) on a 1/2 scale Spacewalker II and loves it.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:23 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T.O.M., In your experience does the amount of diluent (kerosene, stoddard solvent, etc.) have much influence on performance of the engine? Is octane rating impacted enough to notice? Some oils are diluted 25%. Does the published viscosity represent the actual lubricating viscosity, or does a good portion of the diluent evaporate leaving a heavier lubricating mixture? Many diluted oils have a very low flash point which muddies up the picture if you are using flash point to compare oils.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:12 AM
joseph185

I tried the quiksilver oil and had to disassemble the engine to change a leaky gasket and there was an alarming amount of wet oil in the internals like I had poured some in the engine. This was about after 1/2 gallon of fuel and it was not tuned exremely rich
Old 02-14-2009, 11:16 AM
jack1933

What mix did you use- 50-1 is ideal, also at 50-1 there is a lot of oil coating the internals. This does not hurt a thing/ I suspect you were mixing at something other than 50-1.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Jezmo

I have made an interesting observation over the last several years. The oils that leave more little black specs on my plane leave less residue in the combustion area. The ones that leave little to no black specs tend to leave more residue (read carbon) in the chamber. I mix all my gas at 40:1 with the lone exception being gas for my converted SuperTigre G51 sparker and for the record I have not tried Amsoil of any flavor in anything.

I experimented with different oils for about a year and starting with a clean chamber would blend up fuel with a particular brand of oil. After flying that weekend I would disassemble the top end. Some oils left virtually NO residue and some left more. The residue some made could easily be wiped off with a rag and some made carbon so hard it was difficult to even scrape off with a sharp scraper tool. I am not interested in starting another oil war but I did find that the oils T.O.M. said were good stuff were indeed good stuff. I did not try any oils made for water cooled engines including QuickSilver. Until this article I did not know QuickSilver was certified API-TC although I probably still wouldn't have tried it. I was more interested in the oils I had been seeing used or had personally used myself. (I did try a couple of oils that T.O.M. said were good just to see how they worked out.) Only because Pennzoil has been mentioned in this thread I will say it was one of the cleanest oils that I tried. A couple of others were right there with it, actually they were cleaner, both of them being synthetic.

The scientific method will definitely give you the answers you seek if you are willing to spend the time, money and effort required.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:11 PM
BTerry

Somebody should try it just to see if it works. Does anybody know if it tastes like Pennzoil too?
Old 02-14-2009, 12:43 PM
joseph185

Yes I was running at 40-1 and also to the Stihl question it isnt synthetic it also contains fuel stabilizers real clean burning no residue on plane no little black specs I prefer the PENZ but really hard to find here I just dont understand why no one stocks this stuff plenty of outboard oil maybe it because CHICOT STATE PARK is local
Old 02-14-2009, 12:51 PM
kenhiraihnl

My thoughts after reading all the great info in this thread…i’m not going to have a fit knowing that I’ve been using slightly inferior oil like mc-1 or Pennzoil aircooled…however, I’m now seriously getting concerned about ‘house special’ dishes that I’ve been eating at restaurants…holy cow, i'm expecting someone to tell me that Vienna sausages are really made with beef, pork and chicken peckers (karl childers in 'slingblade' first put that in my head)…lol...ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.