Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Super Tech Universal 2 cycle oil for air cooled same as Pennzoil air cooled???

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Super Tech Universal 2 cycle oil for air cooled same as Pennzoil air cooled???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 12:39 AM
SportFlyer3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Tech Universal 2 cycle oil for air cooled same as Pennzoil air cooled???

Was at Wally World today looking at the oils and noticed the Super Tech Universal 2 cycle oil for air cooled engines. I remember looking at the oil awhile back noticing that it was manufactured by SOPUS Products (Shell Oil bought out Pennzoil-Quaker State, make Pennzoil products, and now are called SOPUS Products just look on the back label of a new bottle of Pennzoil...) but now it says "manufactured in the USA for Wal-Mart Stores blah, blah"... I then looked at the back and saw the emergency number (1-800-782-7852) and googled it and came across links for Shell, Aeroshell and Texaco Lubricants.

My question is could this be the same as Pennzoil air cooled oil ??? If so it is a lot easier to find then the regular Pennzoil...

Any hard info on this ??? I tried doing a search and got a bunch of dead ends..

[link=http://www.pzlqs.com/brands/default_brands.htm]SOPUS Products page...[/link]
Old 02-08-2009, 06:57 AM
jack1933
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Super Tech Universal 2 cycle oil for air cooled same as Pennzoil air cooled???

I know a lot of folks that are using the Wal Mart oil in their 2 stroke engines with excellent results.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Charley

Default RE: Super Tech Universal 2 cycle oil for air cooled same as Pennzoil air cooled???

I used that Super Tech oil for initial run-in of a SV 26, mixed at 32:1. It sure threw a lot of black gunk out the exhaust. A clubmate who runs a boat repair shop told me the Pennzoil 2 cycle oil does the same thing.

Anyone care to share their experience with the Pennzoil?

CR

Old 02-08-2009, 04:54 PM
SportFlyer3

I tried doing a search here too but to no avail...
Old 02-08-2009, 05:28 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never experienced black gunk out of the exhaust with the use of Pennzoil Aircooled. I have not used Super Tech 2 Stroke but have used the 10W30 car oil with good results.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

What percent of mixture are you using? Thanks. Brian

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

I've never experienced black gunk out of the exhaust with the use of Pennzoil Aircooled. I have not used Super Tech 2 Stroke but have used the 10W30 car oil with good results.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:29 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

40:1 is the mix I used. I have mixed at 32:1 for a couple of gallons and did not notice a whole lot of black gunk either. I do tune my needles though and check the results by reading the sparkplug(s). I consider this a requirement of 2 stroke tuning. Praise God, I've never locked one up or melted one down.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:18 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

I do not know if Super tech universal is the same as Pennzoil, but I pretty much can guarantee that Sthil ultra is made by Castrol.

I run Pennzoil at 32:1 and I do get those black specks, but not really bad.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:42 PM
kenhiraihnl

here's the data sheet for pennzoil air cooled...now just have to find the data sheet for super tech, and see if they match up...btw, i can put my car in neutral and roll down the hill to my neighborhood wally world...lol...ken

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/Do...eAirCooled.PDF
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44489.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1133868  
Old 02-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Thanks for that. I have been running Opti 2 from the lawn and garden shop. Also use Penzoil at 40:1 and I do get some black specks with both, but not bad. Brian

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

40:1 is the mix I used. I have mixed at 32:1 for a couple of gallons and did not notice a whole lot of black gunk either. I do tune my needles though and check the results by reading the sparkplug(s). I consider this a requirement of 2 stroke tuning. Praise God, I've never locked one up or melted one down.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:03 PM
SportFlyer3

ORIGINAL: kenhiraihnl

here's the data sheet for pennzoil air cooled...now just have to find the data sheet for super tech, and see if they match up...btw, i can put my car in neutral and roll down the hill to my neighborhood wally world...lol...ken

Yeah I found that but finding the data sheet for the Super Tech is the problem...

I see you are from Hawaii...in the pic is that the Arizona Memorial top right???
Old 02-13-2009, 12:52 AM
kenhiraihnl

hi sportflyer3...that's the pearl harbor 'boneyard' in the upper right (where the navy stores decommissioned ships)...here's a pic taken in the direction of ford island, the arizona memorial, battleship missouri, and the floating causeway...taken with my multiplex easystar w/ blip camera...btw, that large, white-roofed shopping center at center right has a 'don quijote' department store that carries pennzoil air cooled...ken

ORIGINAL: SportFlyer3

ORIGINAL: kenhiraihnl

Yeah I found that but finding the data sheet for the Super Tech is the problem...

I see you are from Hawaii...in the pic is that the Arizona Memorial top right???

Name:	Xu62865.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1134173  
Old 02-13-2009, 09:01 AM
ChopperMike

My local Walmart has the Pennzoil Multi-Purpose TC-W3. I'm building a Spacewalker that will be powered by a DL-50 and am wondering what oil to use. I went to Pennzoil's site and the datasheet for the MP TC-W3 pulls up one for their Outboard oil for some reason. I'm wondering if the Outboard oil is the same formula as the MP TC-W3 or if it's just a glitch on their site. It does say it is suitable for other applications requiring TC-W3. Anyone know what the difference is between the MP TC-W3 and the Air Cooled oil?

Mike
Old 02-13-2009, 12:52 PM
RTK

Only use air-cooled, and no oil rated tcw3, that is for outboard.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:18 PM
jack1933

Whats the difference? As a matter of fact, Quicksilver states on their bottle " good for air and water cooled engines. There is avbsolutely no sound info that states there's a difference. Why don't you go to Walmart and get some and try it? Grimiln x has stated many times that Quicksilver is the best of all oils for our engines, and Lawn Boy and PEENZOIL are the worst. His info comes from a dyno and a lot of testing. How long are we gonna bash this around?
Old 02-13-2009, 01:20 PM
RTK

Quicksilver, etc. maybe, but Pennzoil tcw3 NO. Stihl ultra, from what little I know leads the pack too, that will be the next one I try.
Not bashing anything around, oh and yes, walmart oil ain't to bad either.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Charley

Dunno if I said so earlier but I just tried Valvoline air-cooled multi-purpose oil in the first run of my G38, mixed at 32:1. Ran good, no oil flecks. Found it at Autozone.

CR
Old 02-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Charley

The problem is that the Supertech bottle doesn't tell you who made it; so no way to find a data sheet. Grrrr.....

CR
Old 02-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So rather than beat heads against a wall trying to figure out who makes what and how it qualifies, why not use something that you know works? Or is it that you might save 50 cents a bottle with the unknown stuff?

If it's about the money you're involved in the wrong endeavor and need to find something more inline with your long term budgeting......
Old 02-13-2009, 05:49 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

You guys didn't look hard enough if you didn't find the MSDS for the two.

Judge for yourself. I'm just adding fuel to the fire.[sm=rolleyes.gif]

[link=http://edfinfo.com/x/temp/MSDS_Pennzoil_Aircooled.pdf]MSDS Pennzoil Air Cooled[/link]

[link=http://edfinfo.com/x/temp/MSDS_Super_Tech_Universal_2_Cycle.pdf]MSDS Super Tech Universal 2 Cycle[/link]
Old 02-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Good to see such similarities in the contact info....that's pretty interesting.

But does it mean Wally World oil and Pennzoil oil are the same oil or just that they have the same contact information on their MSDS sheets?[X(]

I *STILL* think Orville Redenbacker Pour Over is just "THE BEST"...... it goes with ANY raging and timeless, meaningless and uninformed speculative outrageous debate of subjective opinions on RCU on any forum.

Almost like salt.....can darn near be used on anything.

I wonder if we could just use that funky nasty black used oil out of our car engine crankcases? Probably wouldn't make a whipstich difference except to the sticky rings....
Old 02-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Kweasel
My Feedback: (29)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for "JASO" on the label. Most major oil companies are now making air cooled/high performance oil and marketing it for snowmobile and jetski use.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: jack1933

Whats the difference? As a matter of fact, Quicksilver states on their bottle " good for air and water cooled engines. There is avbsolutely no sound info that states there's a difference. Why don't you go to Walmart and get some and try it? Grimiln x has stated many times that Quicksilver is the best of all oils for our engines, and Lawn Boy and PEENZOIL are the worst. His info comes from a dyno and a lot of testing. How long are we gonna bash this around?
Here is the back of a quart bottle of Quicksilver. $17.99/gallon at Academy Sports and Outdoors.

Name:	Xv63500.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1134614  
Old 02-13-2009, 07:49 PM
SportFlyer3

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

You guys didn't look hard enough if you didn't find the MSDS for the two.

Judge for yourself. I'm just adding fuel to the fire.[sm=rolleyes.gif]

[link=http://edfinfo.com/x/temp/MSDS_Pennzoil_Aircooled.pdf]MSDS Pennzoil Air Cooled[/link]

[link=http://edfinfo.com/x/temp/MSDS_Super_Tech_Universal_2_Cycle.pdf]MSDS Super Tech Universal 2 Cycle[/link]

Hrmm...same info on the viscosity, toxicological info, and same contact info down to the PO Box. When I run out of the Pennzoil I may do more digging and may switch. It's not that I want to save a few pennies. I just don't want to run all over the countryside looking for Penn if the Wally brand is similar or even the same... I live in a small town and have to travel to the bigger city to find Pennzoil and even then I have to run all over town to find the stuff. A Wal Mart is only thirty mins down the road in any direction except due south. (I stay on the bay...)

Thanks for the info...
Old 02-13-2009, 08:58 PM
joseph185

Ive used the stihl oil after about 10 gal I dissasembled the engine very clean internals just a residue on top of piston no scuffing of psiton or cylider walls no significant carbon buildup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.