Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

LED for ignition...what size or type?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

LED for ignition...what size or type?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 01:53 AM
Cajuncharley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED for ignition...what size or type?

I'd like to install a LED on the ignition so I can tell when ignition is on or off. I presume one from Radio Shack would fill the bill. What size or part number should I get? I figure I would simply wire it into the ignition battery on/off switch.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:11 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

3W supplies one with the newer style ignitions. I'll take a look at it when I get home. Don't remember seeing any hook up instructions though
Old 06-11-2003, 11:49 AM
bpu699
My Feedback: (1)

hook up a voltwatch instead, and put it in the cockpit as an instrument! Works great, plus you know how long you can fly!!!
Old 06-11-2003, 05:43 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

You can pick just about any size, shape and color LED you like. Any of them should last longer than your plane when you run them at the typical 20mA. If you're using 4.8V ignition battery packs, then wire the LED in series with a 250 Ohm resistor, across the (+) and (-) terminals. That's it! 300Ohm works better with 6V battery packs to give the standard 20mA load. Really though, a few mA more or less is not gonna hurt the LED.

I typically use water clear ultra-bright red LEDs and aim it directly toward the front angled upward a bit, where I would normally stand when starting the engine. The clear ones are a lot easier to tell whether they're on or off in bright sunlight.

I do this for both onboard glow driver ON/OFF and gasser ignition kill switch.