Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA 100 what muffler package?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 01:52 PM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA 100 what muffler package?

My next project will be utilizing a DA 100 and I am wondering what has been found to be the best muffler package for sound.

Are the cannisters doing a better job with sound or just adding performance?

Any info would help as I never ran a DA before.

V-Snap
Old 06-11-2003, 07:59 AM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Default You get Both!!!

Hi,
You get both a boost in power, and exceptional quiet with the canister pipes. I am running KS 70cc pipes on mine. I just flew at a meet 2 weeks ago and the airplane didn't even register on the meter. These setups with the right prop will yeild incredible performance and sound levels. I have the Mejzlik 25-12 on mine, and the plane will do anything with power to spare. I was out playing some Sunday and was doing Vertical snaps with ease, and I'm only in Intermediate right now. On the last flight I got the wild idea to try two snaps on a vertical...no problem. The engine is not just powerful...it's more like orbital! LOL I've been flying this plane since early last year, and the thing never ceases to amaze me. If you are looking to fly IMAC you have the engine for it. I have even been dabbling in 3d and the plane will rocket out of a hover (or in my case trouble <g>) like it's nothing. 1/2 throttle in a hover, hit it, and you are gone. This is on a 26 pound RadioCraft 330LX. I can't speak for every setup, but the one above works flawlessly. I understand there are some new MTX pipes out too that are a little fatter and shorter than the KS. I haven't heard much about them, but what I have heard is good. I would stay away from 2 into 1 setups as they can cause some low to mid surging problems. If you have never owned a DA before, you are in for a real treat! They are very special engines.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:34 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I second that, I hear 2 into 1 are problems. But I have the stock mufflers. It's still quiteter then some .40 sized models at our field.
RickP
Old 06-12-2003, 02:12 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

That sounds like the way to go.
Thanks
V-Snap
Old 07-12-2003, 04:16 PM
jelaird
My Feedback: (1)

Aero330LX, did you choose 70cc pipes for the DA100 becuase they are quiter? if so will the 50cc vesions do and remain quiet?
Old 07-12-2003, 04:56 PM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Default KS 70cc or 50cc?

The KS 70cc really works well. I don't think I would go as small as 50cc because of the output these engines have and the agressive porting they have. There definately is still boost with the 70cc pipes which leads me to believe that the 50cc would be to pipey. I have some 50cc pipes here and was advised against using them, so I went with the 70cc. You really don't want to get these engines pipey like that if you are wanting to do aerobatics. It really makes it tough to control that throttle. The 70cc's also make it quieter theoretically because there is more volume for expansion in the pipes which allows the exaust gasses to cool. This expansion is what helps quiet. The KS canisters are tuned systems. I have had very good luck running these, and have recently been made aware that KS has also found that the larger pipes on the high output engines are working better. When I set mine up last year, there were very few of these setups, now they are becoming the norm...what a difference a year makes. It's so much more pleasing to go out and fly and hear yourself think. These setups are quieter, they produce better power, and they just have a cool sound to them. BTW, set these pipes at 12" from the center of the exaust outlet on the engine to the front of the exaust can. That is the place where they run the best.