Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Jump start G62

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 07:40 PM
REM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jump start G62

Just put a new jump start on my g62. First test run work find turn the switch to run incerease in rpm unplug battery. Ran the motor for a while shut it down . Next time try it again turn switch to start. Start engine turn switch to run nothing unplug battery engine dies. Been over every thing nothing. Any help Thanks Rick
Old 06-12-2003, 04:07 PM
SKYBLAZER1

Default help

Try using a continuity tester on your coil...sounds like maybe you wired something up wrong and fried the coil. Dont freak out on my account but when you switch from battery power/retard, the quartz ign should take over...sounds like fried coil to me...check it out.
Just my opinion, might not be it. good luck
Old 06-12-2003, 05:19 PM
Cabane
My Feedback: (2)

Default Jump start G62

Check your kill switch. The kill switch has to be in the run position too. The contacts should be open.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Jump start G62

Rick,

I had a very similar thing happen to my G62 shortly after I installed the Jump Start. The mag coil, the one over the flywheel, went bad. I could get the Jump Start to work every time but when I removed the battery the engine would quit. Got another coil and have had no more problem.

C&H might have some used coils that were pulled off of engines that they converted to full electronic ignition systems.

As previously stated, make sure your kill switch in the right direction.

Ken
Old 06-12-2003, 08:13 PM
REM

Default Jump start G62

Yes put a new magneto coil on today everything was good.Funny how i had one good run before the mag went bad.I will never go back to the spring start. Replace to many of them. last one got 11 fligths before it broke again Thanks for the help
Rick
Old 06-12-2003, 11:35 PM
Pelle Gris

Default Jump start G62

Hi...

I´m not trying to start a war here, but I keep wondering why people have so much trouble starting a stock G-62???
My own 62 starts in 2-3 flips (after priming) and my GT-80 in 4-5 flips (new engine). Both engines are stock. No JumpSpringEasyAutoBeamMeUpScottyStart or anything else. Is it just me who has got a pair of good engines..... ???
Old 06-13-2003, 12:17 AM
REM

Default Jump start G62

I try starting mind many times by hand noting.Maybe a pop now and then. I like the jump start. [Spring no good]
Old 06-13-2003, 03:53 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Hand starting Zenoah's.

It has always puzzled me why so many persons find hand starting Zenoah engines such a problem . My two engines, a G23 and a G 45 are both stock, and give no trouble hand starting every time on a good wet prime in a few flips of the prop.
Old 06-13-2003, 04:04 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default hand starting

There are a number of things that can cause hard starting with a mag equiped engine. My G-45 would start easily if I had the prop in just the right position. Otherwise you could just crank all day and it just would pop. It starts easily now that I have converted it to ignition. In my opinion a mag equiped engine should be started with a starter.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:42 PM
ScottK
My Feedback: (9)

Default Jump start G62

My only experience is with a spring starter on a Quadra 75.

It's definitely a big deal to phase the prop to the flywheel/magnet for proper momentum past the mag upon release.

Any of the dreaded "kickback" stories from firsthand experience on hand-propping this bad boy?
Old 06-15-2003, 01:34 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Jump start G62

For hand starting Zenoah engines, with the magnets in the position as indicated on their instruction sheet prior to flipping the prop, what is the uptimum position for the prop to be in relevant to a clock face.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:18 PM
Pelle Gris

Default Jump start G62

Hi...

I have set both my G-62 and my GT-80 up so that the prop hits compression at about 10 o´clock. When starting you swing the prop from 2 o´clock and through compression. Flipflipflipwrooooum....
I´t also at help to use a large/heavy prop, as it is easier to swing the prop through compression. My GT-80 can be a bit tricky to start with a Menz 24x10 but with a Menz 28x8 it´s very easy.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:35 PM
phazernut

Default Jump start G62

My G62 has only 8 tanks of fuel through it and I have been starting it by hand with no trouble. I have purchased a jump start for it but I think I will sell it.

I'm open for offers if anyone wants it.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:36 AM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Default Jump start G62

I have a buddy that called me for three days in a row looking for ideas on how to start his G62 by hand. Finally I went to the Zenoah internet site, read the starting instructions myself and made him do exactly what they said to do. Three flips later his engine was purring like a kitten.

Jump start......I don't think so!!

Sounds like it would be far less expensive to read the instructions than to buy a jump start or the spring starter to me. How many flips does it take you guys with the jump start to get your G62's running? I'd bet a paycheck it isn't any less than it would take if you followed the starting instructions.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:36 PM
regmason
My Feedback: (2)

Default Jump start G62

I bought a G-62 powered Giant Stinger with a jump start. Worked fine, but removed it. My flying buddy has gone through 3 broken spring starters on his G-62. I have three 62s and two GT-80s. Flipping a 24 inch prop on a Gt-80 even with a glove is rough on the fingers. Two years ago I bought the most useful tool a gas engine afficianado can own: a Sullivan Megatron. The problem is you may spend some of your flying time at the field going around starting your buddies engines. At the fun fly this past weekend, I saved the day on a Pitts equipped with a Fuji 64 with the fancy ATM module. After they flipped it for over 10 minutes, they called for the Megatron. Three seconds later it was purring like a kitten.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:43 PM
phazernut

Default Jump start G62

If I had several large birds with gas engines I would definately have the megatron. But since I only have one gas plane right now it is hard to justify the cost of the megatron. So far hand starting the G62 has been great since I figured out how to do it right.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:57 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Jump start G62

I've read all of the above and wheather you like the armstrong method or the jump start method, you should stick with it and not look down on others who use the opposite method.

I can start my G62 by hand but the jump start is a lot easier for me. After it's choked, one or two light flips gets it started. It starts at zero degrees before top dead center, therefore, no kick back. Couldn't be much simpler than that.

Ken
Old 06-23-2003, 10:42 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Default Jump start G62

Megatron starters, jump starts, spring starters......sounds to me it would be cheaper to just buy an engine with electronic ignition and be done with it. I've never seen the guys with DA, 3W, BME or other electronc ignition engines have to resort to aftermarket gimmicks to get their engines started. The cost of a megatron starter and the battery you have to lug around almost makes the cost of a G62 equal to that of the more expensive engines so why bother trying to save a few bucks up front when you will spend them later anyhow. Just my opinion.