Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

quadra 40 or 42

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 05:05 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quadra 40 or 42

I have a Quadra 40 or 42, not sure which. when I fly I get alot of fuel blow-by out of the carburator down the side of my plane. Is there a way to stop or control this? Is this normal? Would an air cleaner help? If so where do you get an air cleaner for it? could I duct the intake down?

Thanks

Sheldon
Old 06-13-2003, 06:14 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default quadra 40 or 42

You could put a velocity stack on it. Just be sure to not point it slopeing forward if it has a slanted opening , you do not want ram air or your mixture setting will change with flight speed and attitude.
Old 06-13-2003, 06:22 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Default velocity stack

What is a velocity stack and where can I get one? I got most of the stuff from B&B but not sure how to get in contact with them or if they have it.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2003, 08:15 PM
Hurri

Default quadra 40 or 42

Bennett or Dave Reid in New York state sell them , or get a machinist friend to make one , can also silver solder [ good stuff not cheap] a piece of 1/2" copper pipe on a piece of brass plate 1/8" thick , drill & fit to suit with a 45 degree angle to help air in .
Old 06-13-2003, 08:23 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Default velocity stack

So this velocity stack would go on the end of the 1" or so plastic piece that is on there or would it replace the plastic piece? would it not still "spit" and just roll out the velocity stack? Sorry to be stupid. Maybe you could even point me to a place to read & research.

Thanks

Sheldon
Old 06-13-2003, 08:34 PM
Hurri

Default quadra 40 or 42

Hi Goldwing , If you can get a proper one it looks like - a piece of alum tube some 3/4" outside diameter , with a small flange on one end , bore is just over 5/8" . then there is a flange ring with 2 holes in it that are the centres of the 2 screws that hold the carb; on . That thin ring fits over the tube to clamp the flange tight to carb So it goes right onto the intake of carb ; clear? the 45degree angle on the end is then turned so that you get the best running point .
Old 06-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default quadra 40 or 42

Goldwing:
If that plastic tube is on the outer face of the carb, that is the velocity stack. are you sure the carb is not set to rich or leaking fuel elsewhere. High speed needle should be around 7/8 of a turn, low about 1 1/4 turn.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:06 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Default Thanks

Hi Flypaper,

you have been a help in the past (thanks). I believe you are correct, what is on there is a "velocity stack". I could be too rich. The gentleman who help me set up my engine seemed to know things but I'm sure we are past those settings you posted. I'll check tonight.

thanks all
Old 06-13-2003, 11:03 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Default Too Rich

FlyPaper,

I think I may be too rich. The high speed needle is at 1-1/2 turns but the low speed is just past two and a half. So, should I start at your settings or start at a different setting (richer/leaner) and should end up about where your settings are? Seems to run okay. The 18x12 prop turned 6300 RPMish so we switched to an 18x10 which really helped take off speed and flying speed. With the 18x10 it turned 6800ish.

PS no fuel leaking, it is for sure coming out of the carb end. You can hear it in the air at some RPM's gergling which is what I assumed was spitting.

Thanks

Sheldon
Old 06-14-2003, 12:22 AM
Roquewj
My Feedback: (4)

Default quadra 40 or 42

Originally posted by Rodney
You could put a velocity stack on it. Just be sure to not point it slopeing forward if it has a slanted opening , you do not want ram air or your mixture setting will change with flight speed and attitude.
Rodney,
do you mind to elaborate a little on the best way to position it?
thanks.
Old 06-14-2003, 01:58 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default quadra 40 or 42

Goldwing;
Part of the problem would be to big of a prop. 18/10 is the proper prop for a 42. Lugging down the engine with that size prop requires a richer mixture at lower rpm so it spits a lot back out. With the 18/10 and the settings I mentioned should turn between 7 and 7500 rpm. Go by the colour of the plug for mixture setting. It should be a tan brown colour. Start low speed at about 1 1/2 turns. turn it in about 1/8 turn at a time till it hesitates when you open the throttle quick, then back out till it doesn't hesitate. hope this helps
Old 06-17-2003, 05:26 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Default Thanks

My low end was really rich so I reset it up as you described but ended up a bit richer but it runs great and I still have a bit of the spitting out of the carb but only 1/4 of what is was. Thanks for your help. The tach would only give me 6900 to 7000 no matter what I did with the 18x10 but the engine has only 48 oz of fuel through it so I'm not too worried yet. I'll run her this way for a couple gallons and see what happens.

Thanks again

Sheldon